It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
How long to fuse?

I had my big toe fused on Oct 28 this year. The x-ray report at the six week follow-up said there was "no evidence of bony fusion as of yet". I did not expect the bones to be fused at that point. I did think it might have started by then. Maybe it had.

So, now I am curious. Does anyone know how long it takes for a fusion to happen? I will be seeing the podiatrist in a couple of weeks to get my orthotics adjusted and can ask him too. (he did not do the surgery)

Old 12-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #2
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User
Re: How long to fuse?

Northwind - when I had my first bunionectomy, the x-rays started to show fusion at my 2 month appointment. My surgeon said we couldn't expect it to happen any earlier and everybody is different. Also, don't take advil during this time because it will prevent bone growth. Tylenol is best for pain at this point.

Jill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Hi Jill, I was thinking along those lines. The surgeon said the plate and screw method he uses allows people to weight bear at 6 weeks, while other methods require 12 or even 18 week non-weight-bearing. I figured that indicates the fusion time.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
(female)

Northwind - I have a plate, pins & screws, so we're probably on similar time lines, although different issues. My doctor said I'll start weight-bearing after my next appt, which will be 4 weeks post-surgery.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
(female)

debby e HB User

I had 3 bones fused in my foot, with a bone graft in one of the bones. The joint with the graph is the problem; it's been almost 2 months and the doc still says I can't put any weight on my foot at all. Has anyone out there also experienced this? The crutches are killing my hands and arms, the wheelchair jams in the doorways at home and at work, & the holidays have been horrible. I know I should be grateful that things aren't worse but boy is this miserable! The next appointment is in 5 days-what if it still hasn't fused enough?

Old 01-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was talking to the podiatrist today and he looked at the x-rays. He agreed there was no fusion yet at that point (Dec 7). He said that sometimes it starts to show up at about 8 weeks. He also said that I should be getting it checked regularly to ensure it is fusing.

I will probably see if my GP will order x-rays because it is easier to get in to see her than it is to see the surgeon.

The podiatrist also wanted to cast me for new orthotics today. I am going to wait until it has healed more before I do that. I see him again in March.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

x-rays do not show fusion. only a cat scan can tell and it takes about a year in some cases.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie g View Post
x-rays do not show fusion. only a cat scan can tell and it takes about a year in some cases.

Well, that is interesting. I did get a requisition, whatever, to get an x-ray. I will go in next week for the x-ray and see what happens.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

The fusion WILL be evident on xray when it occurs. (Debbie, You are mistaken.) If there is any question as to healing, a CAT scan can be ordered. If the joint is not fusing, it will be painful.

Last edited by hopalong_too; 01-08-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks hopalong_too, that was what I was lead to believe from the podiatrist and the two doctors I spoke with. Even my chiropractor thought that, though he acknowledged that he was not as knowledgeable on that stuff as others would be. I specifically asked when there would be evidence of fusing on an x-ray. I did not ask how long it would be til it fused, because I know that can take a few months to a year. In fact, the podiatrist said it could be a year before all the swelling and discolouration is gone.

The plate is in there securely, and there is no movement at this point. That is the most important thing for me right now.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
(female)

My understanding is that x-rays show bones and CAT scans show bones and soft tissue. I'm getting regular x-rays and they do show when the bone is fused. It may take a year to be fully fused, but if it didn't even start fusing for a year, it seems highly unlikely to happen. My surgeon said he expects it to start after 6-8 weeks.

Northwind - since it's only been 4 weeks since surgery on my right foot, my surgeon said the important thing is that the bones are still in alignment and the screws, plate and pins haven't moved. So far, so good!

~ Jill

Last edited by jane806; 01-08-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane806
Northwind - since it's only been 4 weeks since surgery on my right foot, my surgeon said the important thing is that the bones are still in alignment and the screws, plate and pins haven't moved. So far, so good!
Both the surgeon and the podiatrist commented that the joint was solid, meaning the plate and pins were good. Since the plate is there as a "splint" I imagine that is the most important thing. Never-the-less, I am interested in seeing that it is fusing.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:30 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i was mistaken somewhat. i forgot i had x-rays taken after my cast was off and the x-ray showed fusion. my surgeon said at 11-12 months only the cat scan would know for sure. there can be many miss-readings on x-rays. i fell about a month ago while playing tennis.(i tripped over my own 2 feet!) anyway when i fell i fractured my wrist. i kept playing and then wound up in the er later that day. the x-ray showed no breaks. i went to an ortho the next day and he had me have an mri. that showed the hairline fracture. i thought that was very wiered, but he said breaks may not show up right away on x-rays which i already knew, but i never thought an mri would be needed.

Closed Thread