It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009, 07:10 AM   #1
(male)

veganic HB User
Cheilectomy - Hallux Rigidus

I had a Cheilectomy on Monday, December 21, 2009. They also removed a "loose body" on the inside of the big toe. The doctor said the surgery went very well. I was told to take it easy the first day but that I could walk on it as needed. I walked on it a lot, actually, and a week later when the doc removed the bandages, in hopes of removing the stitches, we noticed significant bruising all over. Now, when I put my foot down, I feel a "pins and needles" type pain in the foot. I've been elevating the foot since Monday, but the bruising hasn't improved.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Cheilectomy - Hallux Rigidus

Hmm....it was 2 weeks before my stitches were removed and I had bruising still at that time. So in my experience, this is not unusual.

I too walked from day one on it (surgical shoe). Got into regular shoes (Merrell mule type) at 3 weeks and then most of my regular dress shoes at about 8 weeks.

Last edited by Titchou; 12-30-2009 at 10:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
(male)

veganic HB User

I wonder why the doc was going to remove my stitches after 1 week? How much did you walk on it? During the first week, I walked a lot - even drove my car (surgery was on my right foot), and when driving home, I had a flat tire and was changing it on the PA Turnpike in my surgical shoe. lol.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, I didn't change any tires! But the first day I was in bed for most of the day. Then I just went about my daily chores after that. Think I drove the 3 rd day for the first time - mine was left foot. Keep in mind in may be illegal for you to drive with the surgical shoe on the right foot...it is in some jurisdictions. Went to work on the 6th day (had it done on a Wed and went back to work on Mon).

Good luck to you! Keep us posted.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
(male)

veganic HB User

I've contacted the state of PA and there is no law preventing from driving with a surgical shoe. They say that as long as it doesn't interfere, you can drive with it. It wasn't a problem for me at all. The biggest problem I have is keeping the foot elevated at night. I sleep on my side, and I can't elevate it properly when I'm on my side. So I sleep on my back and stay awake most of the night.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
(male)

MoeHoward HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganic View Post
I wonder why the doc was going to remove my stitches after 1 week? How much did you walk on it? During the first week, I walked a lot - even drove my car (surgery was on my right foot), and when driving home, I had a flat tire and was changing it on the PA Turnpike in my surgical shoe. lol.
Wow, that's the sort of thing you always worry about. Looks like you handled it with aplomb and can laugh at it now. Good for you!

I don't know if it's legal or not here in AZ to drive with the surgical boot on the right foot, but I did it anyway. No problem at all.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganic View Post
The biggest problem I have is keeping the foot elevated at night. I sleep on my side, and I can't elevate it properly when I'm on my side. So I sleep on my back and stay awake most of the night.
I sleep on my side, too. I put 2 pillows under my foot and then put my other foot either in front or behind it. It takes a little while to get used to it, but it's better than not sleeping, or sleeping when you're not comfortable. Did your doctor give you pain meds? They help me dose off, too.

Jill

Closed Thread