It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
(female)

cj1986 HB User
Pain on Big Toe Joint

Hello-
Usually when I post here its about my right foot that I tore my arch and partially tore my ptt, and subsequently had a couple minimally invasive procedures.
I'm posting now because of my left foot. My left foot is flat (not as bad as the right) and has a moderate bunion. The bunion suddenly started hurting about 4-5 years ago when I was 18, and that was when it was first diagnosed. The pain went away shortly thereafter, and never bothered me again. All of a sudden, I've developed pain on top of the joint. It doesnt hurt at all on the side, just on top. I can't really pinpoint exactly what motion makes it hurt, as its been coming/going for the past 3-4 weeks now. I've experienced pain when walking, and when sitting/laying. Sometimes it hurts when the shoe is on, sometimes it hurts when the shoe is off. Sometimes it doesnt hurt at all, and other times there's nothing I can do to stop the pain. I'm not really sure what I should do at this point. I don't necessarily want to see my doctor for him to diagnose me with a bunion, but I also don't enjoy the pain.

Has anyone else had a similar experience... and if so what was your course of treatment? I'm only 23, very active, and hate having to deal with this.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Pain on Big Toe Joint

Your best bet would be to see an ortho who specializes in feet for an x ray and evaluation. You may have lost some cartilege due to the bunion. In the mean time, you might try a couple of Aleve and see if that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: Pain on Big Toe Joint

Hi cj1986, I agree with Titchou, you probably need to get your foot x-rayed and checked out. I would probably start with the GP, but if you have a good relationship with the ortho, then go for it.

I have had a grumbly right foot for many years. Well, grumbly feet actually. I started with plantar fasciitis and got orthotics. The podiatrist who prescribed and made them knew my mother and grandmother and said we all had the same feet. So, fast forward to last year. I walked a few blocks to the coffee shop wearing sandals that my foot did not like. That apparently irritated the 1st MTP joint considerably. I got my foot x-rayed and learned I had arthritis in that joint. I saw the podiatrist again and he made new orthotics for me, and suggested a cortisone shot or "Durolane" injection or surgery. I got a cortisone shot and that helped for a few months. I bought new shoes. I chose not to try the Durolane because it seemed to be a very expensive crap shoot.

My foot continued to give me grief and I found that my hip and knee were more painful too. I went to my GP (new one because the other one left town) to get another cortisone shot. She refused to do this, and referred me to the orthopaedic surgeon. I had that joint fused on this past Oct 28th.

I am not saying this is the route you will take, for the record. You might find that orthotics help you and help keep your joint healthy longer. Good shoes will be important, especially for longer walks. Getting an x-ray now and getting the foot checked out will let you know where you stand and what you need to do next.

Good luck and may you have happy feet in 2010.

Closed Thread