It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
(female)

ellenron HB User
afo brace

this is in response to Baybreeze about the afo brace. I also wear an afo and shoes are a huge problem. I have found that if I wear a comfort sandal with3 velcro closures ( toe, ankle and heel straps ), my brace can fit reasonable well. these are certainly not a dressy shoe but it works for daytime rather than haveing to wear sneakers for work. There are many versions of this type of sandal but they do not all have the adjustable heel strap with is essential for the brace to fit. On occasions when I have to wear a dress shoe, I find that a 21/2 - 3" somewhat chunky heel is best as long as the shoe weight is very light. I cannot walk in flats. the reason is that when in a 3" heel, then both my feet are pretty much in the same position which lessons the steppage gait allowing me to walk more normally. My foot definately gets fatigued, so going without the brace is only for times when I will have very litttle walking to do. I hope this helps anyone out there dealing with this problem. I appreciate any and all suggestions from others. I wish there was a shoe manufacturer that would be interested in designing a line a foot wear specifically for women with foot drop. Maybe if we all write to a company like Aravon, they would see enough of a market to develop such a line of shoes.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
(female)

bayoulady1 HB User
Re: afo brace

I am just starting with an AFO and for me it made me it seemed like I walked better without it. It seem like my problem was more in my leg than foot, but I do have foot drop.
I would just like to know what caused mine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
(female)

Exit 148 HB User

Is this AFO the same as an Arizona Boot?

I have been diagnosed with PTTD and will be seeing someone next week for an orthotic. The Arizona Boot was recommended.

Presently I am wearing an ankle brace that fits nicely in my shoe, but it is not as firm as a personally fitted boot. I NEED something but am also concerned about a new device.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
(female)

ellenron HB User

dear bayou lady, since your weakness is further up your leg, you may need some other kind of brace which will help the foot drop as well as correct any weakness in your leg. I just have foot drop. the rest of my leg is okay, so for me the afo works well and I have much difficulty walking without it. good luck.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #5
(female)

ellenron HB User

dear exit 148, I am not familiar with the Arizona boot.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
(female)

grammarar HB User

I have been wearing a brace for about 5-6 years. I like the Arizona brand best in the afo.
the stitching on the Arizona is in the right place for my foot collapse. Not all the generics are.

Does anyone have experience with a brace that is made into the shoe on the "outside" of the shoe??

Old 01-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
(female)

Exit 148 HB User

I have been fitted for an Arizona Brace and am waiting for the call that it is ready.

But I have a question. Is it comfortable from day one? Does it take time to get use to it? I have had orthotics made and could never get comfortable with them They actually made me limp and they hurt.

The company that makes the Arizona Brace said it is padded and comfortable, but I'd like to hear the experiences of those who have actually worn it.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
(female)

grammarar HB User

The main problem is if it rubs on any part of your foot or ankle. This has happened to me only as my foot has worsened. Actually wearing the brace offers so much outer ankle pain relief the rubbing is a small price to pay. It can be padded more or in different spot if needed. If it does rub or wear on a tender area, be sure to work with the orthotic tech to get it resolved. My first brace had to be re made from a new cast,because the first technician cast my foot wrong. I changed technicians and the ortho company paid for the 2nd brace. good luck.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
(female)

grammarar HB User

I have PTTD stage 4. The tendon is totally gone. Only surgery is triple arthrodesis. I don't have foot drop and still have motion up and down with foot,none side to side. Arch is collapsed. Have been in AFO's for about 6-7 years. Biggest problem now is my foot points to the right also ny knee now. Toes are looking like hammer toes on this foot.
Should I go to external brace for better control and pain relief. Trying to avoid surgery. I am diabetic, so healing bones after surgery is not a sure thing.
thanks.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
(female)

grammarar HB User

to ellenron.
I wear New Balance shoes style 927. It comes in black and white and few other choices too..
There is a roll bar under the arch this helps to keep foot little straighter also.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
(female)

grammarar HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie116 View Post
what is your description of foot collapse..drop foot or arch collapse and foot drop..i can assist but need more information
To scottie
how can I find someone in my area with the micro-cell material.?
Also what type of afo do you recommend for
this prob.?

thanks

Closed Thread