It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
(female)

aimski HB User
11th week post-op bilateral scalf bunionectomy

Yes! It's been 74 days since my op and today I decided to do the first bit of REAL physical excercise in all that time!!!!
I went for a 33km bike ride!!! Let me tell you, I am pretty unfit, but overall it felt soooo good to be exercising again!!!!!
My right foot is still a LITTLE bit swolen but really all is very well.
I bought my second pair of shoes last week too!! The are a nice closed in 'work' shoe that has room for my orthoditics and are not tight at all!!
What else?

Life is almost 100% back to normal......

Anyone had/having what I had??

Am sooo glad I had this done!!

Old 01-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
(female)

carmicdc HB User
Re: 11th week post-op bilateral scalf bunionectomy

aimski: Sounds like you're doing great - I'm happy for you. I'm counting the days down to when I can at least get on a treadmill or something - I feel so depressed about this. Jan 26th is when the pin comes out - 24 more days. My poor hubby is being pushed to the limit with all of this. He goes to the gym more than ever (to get away from me sitting on the couch with my foot up). He can't stand to see me like this - I've always been like the energizer bunny - finding something to do... Hopefully you'll keep progressing until you reach your goal quickly of being physically fit BEFORE you had the surgery. I'm soooooo looking forward to setting that goal for myself once I can start moving around more. Happy 2010 & thanks for sharing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Hi aimski, it is great to hear your update.

I am about 9 weeks post op for my toe fusion and am also doing well. I went for a walk to a restaurant a few blocks away on New Years Eve and it was good to walk. My foot was a little tiny bit grumbly, probably more from no orthotics than from the walk. I am going to see the podiatrist next week to see about getting them adjusted.

carmicdc, hang in there......it will get better!

Old 01-03-2010, 01:48 AM   #4
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Way to go, aimski! I'm almost 4 weeks post-op, and hope to get the okay to drive after my next doc appt on Thursday. Then I'll start back at work on Jan 11, parttime. I'm anxious to get back into the gym. I've got serious cabin fever after being home for a month.

Jill

Old 01-03-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
(female)

carmicdc HB User

jane806 - what did you have done? Dr. won't remove the pin until 6 wks after my surgery (I'm almost 3 weeks now) & I'm about to go nuts, between being unable to drive and having to stay inside all the time. I have been doing a few exercises (abs & upper body). I plan to go back to work tomorrow (YUK!), but I don't know how long I will last - the "boot" isn't all it's cracked up to be - very uncomfortable for me at this time. My husband will have to bring me to work & pick me up - I think I should have researched this surgery better before deciding to do it. Dr. wants to do my left foot in 3-6 mos - I DON'T THINK SO!! I think I'll just live with it, until I'm completely unable to walk. Are you in the boot & do you sleep in it? curious..

Old 01-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
(female)

MonicaB HB User

Great news, Aimski, Northwind, and Jane/Jill! 74 days, but who's counting? LOL! We are, I know no one else understands it quite as well. I'm almost 4 weeks post-op also, and doing so much better than I ever expected. Only wearing the surgical shoe now, until mid-Jan, then will be able to try athletic shoes -- don't tell the doc, but I may try them before then, just for driving, as the surgical shoe is a little awkward in my little car. I'm having to drive the big old SUV but I'm not complaining.

Carmicdc -- sorry to hear you have cabin fever! I'm dying to go out for a run, myself, but I know this will all have been worth it in the end. Do you have any hobbies you are interested in? I draw and paint, and put a big box of supplies and books next to the couch to keep myself entertained. I would have gone nuts without it.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

carmicdc - I had 3 procedures: lapidus bunionectomy, shortened 2nd metatarsal (the long bone in my foot that's connected to my 2nd toe) and gastroc recession (my calf muscle was cut in a couple places to lengthen it. Yes, I'm still in the boot and I sleep in it. That takes some getting used to. If I don't sleep in it, my foot moves all over and that's not good - it needs to stay still. I'm going back to work in a week if my appt goes well this Thursday. I need to be able to drive, so if I can't drive, I'll be working from home for another week or two.

Monica - I think we had our surgeries on the same day (Dec 8?), so Tuesday will be 4 weeks for us. I feel really, really good. This foot seems to be healing a lot faster than the first one, except that I have a huge scab on the top of my foot that rubs on the boot. I try to wear nice thick socks, but once I get strapped into the boot it doesn't seem to matter how much padding I have in there, it hurts. If all goes well at my appt on Thursday, I'll be able to walk in the boot, but take it off for sleeping. Yay!! LOL! The small things mean so much these days! I've been using crutches and a walker and I'm ready to get rid of both of them. Are you walking on your foot already?

Jill

Last edited by jane806; 01-03-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Closed Thread