It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #1
(female)

Mandy50 HB User
Doing the big PTTD surgery

Hello to all,
Thank you to everyone who has shared their story. You have given me courage and also a picture of reality. I will be scheduling surgery before the end of this month for The Big One. My husband has to check his schedule so he can work at home for two weeks at least. FDL transfer, achilles lengthening, and Evans osteotomy. I have tried everything and it has been several years. My quality of life has diminished, so surgery is necessary to get on with my life and have some quality of life. When I left the doctor's office I felt right about it. I have seen him four times already for consultations in addition to other doctors. Now, as the idea settles in, I am very nervous and slightly "sick" because it is so daunting. I had OATS in 2006, and this feels bigger. I guess I was the victim of gene pool madness, or I did something horrible in a previous lifetime.

I wish all of you well. Please wish me luck. I have learned so much from all of you and want to thank you!

Old 01-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
(female)

motive8now HB User
Re: Doing the big PTTD surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy50 View Post
Hello to all,
Thank you to everyone who has shared their story. You have given me courage and also a picture of reality. I will be scheduling surgery before the end of this month for The Big One. My husband has to check his schedule so he can work at home for two weeks at least. FDL transfer, achilles lengthening, and Evans osteotomy. I have tried everything and it has been several years. My quality of life has diminished, so surgery is necessary to get on with my life and have some quality of life. When I left the doctor's office I felt right about it. I have seen him four times already for consultations in addition to other doctors. Now, as the idea settles in, I am very nervous and slightly "sick" because it is so daunting. I had OATS in 2006, and this feels bigger. I guess I was the victim of gene pool madness, or I did something horrible in a previous lifetime.

I wish all of you well. Please wish me luck. I have learned so much from all of you and want to thank you!
good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Good luck, Mandy! It sounds like you've done your research and are feeling good about your decision. Now you can leave the work to the surgeon.

~ Jill

Old 01-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
(female)

midwestmary HB User

Hi Mandy -

I, too, am grateful for these boards. My surgery is scheduled on Jan 19 - I''ll be having a subtalar fusion, PTT repair and gastroc recession. I feel much more comfortable going into this because of the encouragement of everyone on here. I realize that not everyone's experience has been the best - but it helps, has you said, to get more of a realistic picture.

I am trusting for the best possible outcome for both of us! I know there are long days ahead but know you have a foot buddy here in Iowa - Let us know when you get your surgery scheduled.

Take care!
Mary

Old 01-05-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

Thank you for the good wishes, fellow buddies here! Mary, good luck to you on the 19th!!! You'll do great, and yes, it is comforting to know we have each other. Thank you for your thoughts. I am in California. I think my surgery won't be until Feb. 4th because of my husband's work schedule. He can take time off then. Again, I'll be thinking of you on January 19th!

I am wishing positive, healing vibes for everyone else recovering. May 2010 be a year of moving, literally, forward and onward and doing what we love...being active!

Old 01-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

Thank you, Jill, for reading between the lines, and yes, I've done so much research, like what seems to be forever. My lack of mobility right now tells me I need to move forward. I just need to calm my nerves and focus on long term results down the road. All the best to you in 2010!

Old 01-05-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
(male)

Paddlejunky HB User

Good luck Mandy, you're doing the right thing. The time is going to pass anyway, might as well have it pass healing your injury. Like I finally decided, enough is enough! Git'r done and move forward.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

Thank you, Paddlejunky, and thank you also to Motive8. This is a wonderfully supportive community.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #9
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Mandy - I'm a believer in positive thinking (and prayer) and I think our attitude as we go into something like this will help determine the outcome. I went into my surgeries with the thoughts that I had the best doctor (which I really did!) and he would do the best job he could (and he did) and I would heal as my doctor told me I would. And I have to say that I have no complaints. Of course I'm still early in the healing process for my second foot, but I'm expecting a very good outcome. So my suggestion is to accept that you are doing the best thing for yourself and take it one step at a time - and do everything your doctor tells you to do. You'll be fine!

I wish the same for all of us going into 2010!

Jill

Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #10
(male)

cat farmer HB User

Hi Mandy. I had my surgery on Dec 10th and it's gone well. Only 3 more weeks being non-weight bearing. This site really helped me to be prepared.

My advise: Get a knee scooter, and install grab bars. Having someone around the first 1 - 2 weeks is good idea.

Good luck

Jack

Old 01-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #11
(male)

cat farmer HB User

Forgot to mention having a grabber to pick things up off the floor is a great help

Old 01-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

Jill, thank you for your wise words and encouragement. In the next few weeks before my Feb. 4th surgery date, I will not only prepare my house, but also my mind and spirit. Warm wishes to you in your complete recovery.

Jack, happy to hear you are coming along and doing well after your Dec. surgery. I have rented (reserved) a knee scooter, and need to get the bars for the bathroom. I've had four previous surgeries on that same foot, and as I've gotten more mature (older!), I now know I need the help of the rails. I also need to dig up the grabbers from the garage. Fortunately my husband will work from home for two weeks after my surgery. What was the extent of your surgery? Was pain management okay for you? Take good care! Continued, excellent healing!

Old 01-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
(female)

ZacBit HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy50 View Post
Hello to all,

Old 01-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #14
(female)

greygoose7678 HB User

well how did your surgery go??? i have been told i have PTTD and need the surgery and i am very nervous ...and scared.... earger to see how you have done...

Old 01-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #15
(female)

ZacBit HB User
Unhappy Re: Doing the big PTTD surgery

I haven't had surgery yet..will be several more months..wearing brace and having much less discomfort..just trying to get info from this site..having same emotions as you...post again..let us know how you are..

Closed Thread