It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
(female)

summerluvr HB User
12 post op bunion osteotomy, bunion coming back!

I had my 12 week follow up today. I had the chevron procedure 12 weeks ago. Things were great at my 6 week appointment when they removed the pin. last couple weeks I noticed a bump, and the big toe is creeping back under the second toe when I bend it. My surgeon agreed that it seemed to be shifting. He wants to avoid more surgery so he told me to keep wearing the spacer and to get orthotics to Brace the foot as I have a fallen arch under the second and third metatarsals. (have a lot of pain in that area so I stopped wearign the spacer last week when I really noticed the problem). He said things are not fully hardened yet so we may be able to save it. Only other options is lapidus procedure to fuse the metatarsal at teh ankle. One of my problems (why I have bunions) is that I have hypermobile joints and the tendons are very loose. Frustrating. I had the lapidus procedure on my other foot last year so I know how long it takes to recover (months, versus weeks for the chevron)

Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #2
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User
Re: 12 post op bunion osteotomy, bunion coming back!

summerluvr - That REALLY stinks!! I hope the spacer and orthotics (if you get them) will help prevent further surgery. My arch has fallen under my metatarsals, too, so I had my 2nd metatarsals shortened and my calf muscles lengthened (gastroc recession). I won't know if these procedures have done anything until I'm totally healed - hopefully within the year.

I've also had the lapidus procedure on both feet - the left foot in August and the right one 4 weeks ago. You said the recovery is much longer, and it is, but from what I've learned it's pretty permanent. My right foot seems to be healing a lot faster than my left one did. I've had very little swelling and pain. The only issue I've had is a scab on the top of my foot where some of the stitches were - it's rubbing on the boot and probably keeping it from healing over. My left foot (the first surgery) was very swollen and painful for weeks. My surgeon said I could have totally different healing with each foot, and I certainly have.

Good luck!

Jill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
(female)

summerluvr HB User

I had a scab issue in one place while the rest of the incision was fully closed. What it turned out to be was some of the dissolvable stitches from the inside peaking through the incision and the scab forming over it so it was holding the scab there. (i soaked it in a tub and picked it, I know not what your supposed to do but it was driving me crazy because it was so sensitive compared to normal skin)

I'm supposed to get the orthotics today, I had them in the past but never wore them as I found them really uncomfortable in how the make the shoe fit different.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerluvr View Post
I had a scab issue in one place while the rest of the incision was fully closed. What it turned out to be was some of the dissolvable stitches from the inside peaking through the incision and the scab forming over it so it was holding the scab there. (i soaked it in a tub and picked it, I know not what your supposed to do but it was driving me crazy because it was so sensitive compared to normal skin)
I'm going in for my 2nd post opp appt on Thursday and I'll ask the doctor if I should just leave it alone or soak it and try to pull it off. It's pretty big and I don't want it to bleed and then have another scab, and have that go on forever and then have a deep scar in the end.

Good luck with the orthotics. Hopefully they'll do the trick and not be too uncomfortable this time.

Jill

Closed Thread