It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
hot weather blues

hi everyone. i was on vacation where we toured for 5 days. i wore gym shoes while touring due to the fact they lost my luggage. i wore these on the plane. it was about 80 degrees and after three years my toe fusion foot swelled so much. my other foot is still swollen from the sept. surgery. does anyone have suggestions on what shoes to wear if you need to walk a lot in hot weather? thanks

Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: hot weather blues

I can walk quite a distance in Birkenstock sandals. They are the only sandals that I can walk any distance in. I was wearing them all summer and my foot was happy. Then I had to start wearing shoes again and I was reminded why I was going to have surgery! I have been wearing the Birks in the house since, so I can still keep them on my foot with the fused toe. I think I was already using my other toes to keep them on anyway.

Where were you that it was so warm? I have been dreaming of warm beaches since it is -30C here right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Some people like Keen sandals. My shattered ankle doesn't fit in the hole.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
Some people like Keen sandals. My shattered ankle doesn't fit in the hole.

I might be able to wear Keen sandals now. I would not have been able to wear them before the fusion because they do not have metatarsal support. I could probably wear them for more casual spots. I wish they would make some Keen sandals that can accomodate orthotics!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

i never tried keens or berks. i know its just me, but i think everything is ugly. but i now know i dont have a chance. we were in cuba on a humanitary mission. how interesting and then cancun for 5 days!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
I might be able to wear Keen sandals now. I would not have been able to wear them before the fusion because they do not have metatarsal support.
What exactly is metatarsal support? I've metatarsal steel toes, that have a gaurd over the top of the foot, just not just what is being supported.

This summer I tried sandals on, it was a bit of bummer. Place was busy, and nothing seemed right. Foots probably better now.

Its probably good idea to go to a shoe store when its slow, so you can get some help, if they are the type with differant sizes in the back.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

That sounds like fun.

Birks have some prettier styles now that you might like. I found them so comfortable that I really do not care what they look like.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
What exactly is metatarsal support? I've metatarsal steel toes, that have a gaurd over the top of the foot, just not just what is being supported.
Metatarsal support is when there is a bump near the arch of the shoe. It goes underneath the metatarsal area of your foot. Birkenstocks have good metatarsal support. I tried on some Mephisto sandals which look very similar to Birks, and they do not have the same level of support.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

i tied mephistos and there is not a lot of support. i will go and try on the berks. thank you guys.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie g View Post
i tied mephistos and there is not a lot of support. i will go and try on the berks. thank you guys.

Good luck!

Closed Thread