It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
(male)

Toyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB User
Fractured Heel Bone

Hello All,
I fractured my right heel bone on Dec 20, 2009. Doc said no surgery due to the fact there is very little displacement. The foot was put in a cast. The pain went away after 3 days. At two weeks the Doc took the cast off and put a splint on. I have some swelling and the arch is a nice purple. I can move all my toes and also the ankle up and down with no pain. I am still non weight bearing. The Doc won't commit to how long before I can try to walk or do some PT. Any help on what I should be doing or asking the Doc while I wait for my next appointment on the 12th of Jan would be helpfull. Thanks

Old 01-07-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Fractured Heel Bone

Keep it elevated, really elevated. I put it on toe pillows in bed and in my recliner. Probably going to be nonweight bearing 12 weeks, but some people less. I had a broken leg on the other side.

Alot of people say about a 12-18 month recovery. Should be feeling ok, by 6 months. I was riding Harley touring bikes at less then 4 months.

Swelling may last a year. After you start walking, get a compression sock. I really like wool hiking socks too. I never wear regular socks anymore. Wear the hiking sock over the compression sock.

Around 6 weeks I was doing range of motion stuff at physical therapy.

Do a search on calcaneous lots of stuff here.

Last edited by Zerk; 01-07-2010 at 04:59 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #3
(male)

Thanks Zerk I also ride a touring bike. I have a little more info on my break, the Talus is ok and the Doc said I flattened the joint between the heel bone and Talus a little. The fracture is less than 1mm apart. I am hoping to be WB at around 6 weeks or will have problems keeping the job. See the Doc tomorrow again I'll post the results.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I shattered the talus too. The femur on the other side was broke in 4 spots, so I didn't have a good leg to take the weight. So you may get lucky and be bearing weight before 12 weeks, but be prepared that you might not. Even if you start early it may only be partial weight.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
(male)

Seen the Doc today, he took xrays and said the fractured heel bones have not moved and that would be a good thing. Three more weeks and he will take the splint/cast off and we will go from there. Cleared to go back to work and drive (can take the splint off to drive if needed) on Monday the 18th of Jan with crutches and NWB. I will now see what my employer says, about 80% of my job is at a desk. I currently have no pain and can move the ankle and toes ok, is this all going to change when I try and put weight on the foot? Will post again if anything changes. Thanks

Old 01-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

If its a desk you might be fine. Put your computer tower on the floor, under your desk, and put your foot on it, or a box.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
(male)

Tried to drive for the first time in almost a month. Left the cast/splint on and used my toes to push the gas pedal and my left foot for the brake. The muscles are sure tight from the calf all the way down to the toes. Worked out ok, muscles are sure going to be sore. Going back to work on the 19th and see how it goes. Lots of good info on here and I'll post again when something changes.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:53 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

They put me in a walking cast, even though I wasn't walking, so there was no was I could have used my right foot to drive. I did use my left. Doc pointed out, it is illegal to reach across to drive. Also if your doc hasn't cleared you to drive, and you get in an accident, your up the creek. Just something to think about. Its tough, you got to work I realize.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
(male)

Thanks Zerk, the Doc has cleared me to drive, said I could remove the splint to drive if needed. The only restriction I have is NWB. Mostly hi-way on the 35 mile trip to work so use cruise control most of the way. I will go slow and see how everything works out. Most of the bruising is now gone and looks like most of the swelling is gone as well. All I can do is look forward

Old 01-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
(male)

Does anyone know how long it takes before the X-Rays show the bone mending? At 3 weeks the Doc said the fractured bones have not moved and the splint/cast will be removed at the 6 week point. Also did anyone have episodes of Vertigo after the fall? The vertigo seems to have gone away but was terrible the first 10 days or so.

Thanks

Last edited by Toyman57; 01-15-2010 at 02:56 PM.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

I had vertigo, but it was 15-16 weeks out. I was in a bad accident. My heart was accelerated from the stress, and when I stopped taking the heart pills I had some virtago. Doc said it was just the pills. Vertigo can be serious, I would tell doc.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:24 PM   #12
(male)

mrsnigly123 HB User

I had gotten vertigo 14 weeks post surgury as well. I was able to fix it by having some one spin me around in a desk chair as fast as possible, alternating ways untill I could not handle the dizzyness. Aparently vertigo is caused by a calcium deposite in your ear and this will dislodge it. Are you folks taking suplements, I wonder if that is the cause for the vertigo...

Old 01-18-2010, 05:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Mine just went away on its own, was only for a few days. It occured when getting up, especially with my head tilted back. Didn't need to be spun around in chair. Mine only lasted a few seconds.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
(male)

Well I am now in my 6th week NWB. Last week was my first week back to work and driving 70 miles a day back and forth. Its hard using the toes to push the gas pedal, good excerise tho. Thank God for cruise control. Still no real pain just a "Zap" in the heel every now and again and a bruise like feeling in the heel area once and a while. I see the Doc in a few days to get the cast/splint off. I'll post again after I see the Doc. Zerk I can attest to snow and Ice is not fun on crutches .

Old 01-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Wow, I am surprised they let you drive, they told me no. I had the walking cast on, and could not drive with it. They told me it was illegal to drive with left foot. You must be doing better then me. I do use my left for the brake still.

Closed Thread