It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 AM   #1
(male)

hodo2002 HB User
Floating Toe

Good Morning,

Over a year ago I have Bunion Surgery on both feet. During the surgery the Dr. work on my first anbd second toe since my second toe was longer than my first toe. After the surgery my second tow on my left foot was contracting like a hammertoe. I did my exercises and a year later it was still pretty bad. Just four weeks ago I had hammertoe surgery to correct the toe. After surgery thee joint is no longer bent but my toe is still floating in the air. I asked my Dr. if physical therapy would help this and he said no and is afraid physical therpy would mess up what he did. Can anyone offer suggestions as to what i can do to lower my floating toe? Exercises, Physical Therapy, Splints, Braces, etc?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
(female)

vgr HB User
Re: Floating Toe

I had surgery Feb 5, 2010 for Morton's Neuroma and floating/crossover toe, actually 4 surgical procedures that day on foot... My doc used a k-wire to correct the painful floating toe which was removed after 3 weeks. The toe is still tender and swollen but not floating or crossing any longer. He did "over-correct" the floating toe by pointing it down with the k-wire. He said there is a very strong tendon which would pull the toe up and that he strives to thwart this tendency by doing it that way. E-mail me if you like and I will give you his name as I had surgery in Indpls. and have a high regard for this doc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
(female)

vgr HB User

I failed to mention that my Ortho doc gave me a Budin toe splint which I used prior to surgery. It did pull the toe gently into position and made it much easier for me to walk and to wear shoes. In my case, the toe moved back each time I removed it and the toe remained extremely painful so I had tsurgery.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #4
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

I had bunion surgery on both feet last year and had the same problem with my second toe bones being too long. My surgeon performed 2 additional procedures to help loosen my second toes (which were becoming hammertoes). He shortened the second metatarsals and lengthened my calf muscles by doing gastroc recessions. The combination of these procedures loosened the muscles and shortened the bones, which has so far given me positive results. Ask your doctor if a gastroc recession will help you. It's a pretty simple procedure (well, at least compared to the others!) and may help you a lot.

Good luck!

~ Jill

Closed Thread