It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #1
(female)

whpstickagostop HB User
Driving with aircast?

Hey all! I went to the doctor for my post-op appt and he put me into an aircast. He told me to slowly wean myself off of crutches which is perfect timing since school starts monday (i'm working on a phd).

It's my left foot and I drive a stick. I was wondering if anyone has clutched with an aircast and if it's something I could handle or if I should continue to have people cart me around.

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
(female)

skyhighifly HB User
Re: Driving with aircast?

I'm driving manual with my right foot casted right now and I've done it in a boot many times. In my car I don't think it is possible to press the clutch with a booted foot. It has to be to almost to the floor. Best thing to do is to sit in it and try to press it, then go somewhere where you have space to try. The hardest part is learning to feel the pedal. I feel the brake and gas by a very subtle vibration. I waited until I could put enough weight on my ankle that I knew I could hit the brakes hard if I had to. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User

I drive a stick and had surgery on my right foot. My POD said I wasn't allowed to drive until I could wear a shoe on both feet. My understanding was that if I were to be in an accident, my insurance would not pay because I drove against medical advice.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
(female)

aed2113 HB User

Once I was allowed to put weight on my foot and be in a boot walking my doctor said I could take the boot off to drive as long as I put it right back on to get out of the car and everything...annoying but worth it. I don't know about the clutch though with the right foot I just had to make sure I could slam on the break if needed without hurting myself...like someone said below. Just be careful about it

Old 01-09-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

It may differ from state to state, but I know where i live if you are in an accident while wearing an aircast or walking boot you will be found at fault for driving while impaired. I know it is a pain in the neck (I've worn the boot for many many months after having 10 surgeries) but you really should rely on someone helping you out and driving you around until you are cleared to drive. Please be careful!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I find the "Driving Impaired" law is not that great. What about someone who wears bilateral AFO braces and drives with their feet rather than hand controls. Are they going to be found impaired if in an accident? I think that I am actually a better driver with a cast or boot because I take my time and leave much more space than I normally would.

A lot of people have asked why I don't just use my left foot to drive. If I had an automatic, I would still choose to use the casted/booted right side. I've tried to drive lefty for the fun of it in a big open parking lot. It was not good. The concentration required is so great you don't pay attention to the cars around you.

The best think to do would be to rely on other people to do the driving, however, some of us do not have that luxury. We have to make a choice and that often means taking a risk. That's life.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
(female)

cj1986 HB User

I've drove with a walking boot before (usually short distances). I've only done it when I was at a point that pushing down did not hurt (i.e. that I was able to slam on the brakes if need be). My doctor actually told me for driving to take off the boot, and put on a gym shoe. Is that an option? At least then you wouldn't have to worry about being technically "impaired" in the event of an accident. And obviously, if your foot doesn't feel like you would be able to drive in a safe manner, then don't.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
(female)

relteach HB User

While in a cast and then aircast on my right foot, for almost 8 months, I drove an automatic using my left foot. I practiced in a large vacant lots for days before I ever went on the streets and then it was only to work and back when traffic was very light. I found that I actually was more comfortable with my left foot. I am ambidextrous with my hands and have always been able to switch hands/arms for tasks. I had never thought of driving with the left foot until I really had no other choice. It can be done, but you may want to check and see if your insurance company and your state have specific laws that prohibit that. There was nothing specific that I was made aware of when I applied for my temp. handicap permit--so I tried it and it worked for me.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #9
(female)

whpstickagostop HB User

Thanks all for the advice/experiences. I've decided to go ahead and have someone drive me for now. Although I switch between my aircast and a simpler splint throughout the day depending on what I am doing, my foot still swells a lot and I can't point my toes so i figured it was not a wise idea to start driving. I go back to physical therapy next week and I'm hoping that soon I can drive again. I miss my car but I'm also enjoying having a 'driver'

Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #10
(female)

aed2113 HB User

[QUOTE=stepbystep89;4159433]It may differ from state to state, but I know where i live if you are in an accident while wearing an aircast or walking boot you will be found at fault for driving while impaired. I know it is a pain in the neck (I've worn the boot for many many months after having 10 surgeries) but you really should rely on someone helping you out and driving you around until you are cleared to drive. Please be careful![/QUOTE]

Step...
I know it is different in different places but where you live does it matter what foot the device is on? I know it's illegal to drive an automatic lefty but for instance right now (and many times before) I have a cast on my left foot but I'm still driving. In your state is that considered impaired driving?

Old 01-10-2010, 02:02 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

[QUOTE=aed2113;4159797]Step...
I know it is different in different places but where you live does it matter what foot the device is on? I know it's illegal to drive an automatic lefty but for instance right now (and many times before) I have a cast on my left foot but I'm still driving. In your state is that considered impaired driving?[/QUOTE]

I apologize, but I really don't know the answer to this. I've only ever had to wear the aircast/boot/cast on my right foot, so I couldn't really say for sure.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Maybe not for you, but for anyone reading this in the future, it is illegal to drive with just your left foot, without modifying the pedals. One of the mods I saw on the internet, was to put a board down, and bar would run from the gas to to a new gas pedal, with brake staying where it was. Problem with is, it changes the order of the pedals. Which would take some learning.

I did find driving with the left came easy for me.

Old 05-05-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
(female)

ameliaf HB User

[QUOTE=whpstickagostop;4158839]Hey all! I went to the doctor for my post-op appt and he put me into an aircast. He told me to slowly wean myself off of crutches which is perfect timing since school starts monday (i'm working on a phd).

It's my left foot and I drive a stick. I was wondering if anyone has clutched with an aircast and if it's something I could handle or if I should continue to have people cart me around.

Thanks![/QUOTE]
I just got a aircast pneumatic walker (right foot) and I drive a stick. I would not chance driving with this thing on, it's too big and seems as though it would be easy to get to the wrong pedal. if you meant a regular small aircast, it might interfere less but I don't know if you'd be able to work the clutch smoothly.

Closed Thread