It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
(female)

tamass HB User
Post Foot Surgery Depression...anyone else out there going through it?

I have been suffering from post surgery depression. For me it has only been 13 days since my surgery. I was pretty normal before my surgery...I had panic attacks but usually only when my husband was driving and we were in his truck. I know that sounds funny but it is true his truck scares me to death ( a big huge 1991 suburban). Other than the truck panic attacks I never had a problem with depression or any thing like this since my teen years. My surgery was total foot reconstruction caused my an injury at work. I was fine after surgery until my one week check up. They took off the splint and I saw all the incisions for the first time. I have one on my calf where they removed muscle to reconstruct my arch then several all over my foot. Not to mention they sawed my heel in half and moved it over so it looks like an alien foot now. I was told I would never wear high heels again, or capris, or sandals, and I would have to have special shoes made. That day I was fine but for the last 6 days I have been crying all the time. My husband and my four boys (all 12 and under) have been doing everything they can to cheer me up but nothing seems to work. I just put a call into my doc to see what can be done. This is so unlike me. I have always been the one everyone comes to when they need cheered up. It doesn't help that my best friend of 25 years (we are only 31) moved over 9 hours away this past summer and my dad lives almost as far. My mother and grandparents are not much help. My mom is going through her won issues and my grandparents are of that generation that does not believe in mental health issues.
I know I am in for a long road to recovery, there is no doubt about that. I just don't know how much longer I can just sit and cry. I am even crying over all the sweet things my husband and boys are doing for me. On top of all of the crying I am really trying to resist the urge to chew off my own leg because of my cast. The confinement of it is driving me insane. I go next week to have it removed and my 51 staples and 128 stitches removed and another cast put on for 5 more weeks...I may just chew my leg off by that point. All of this is just becoming way to much for me to handle.
Has anyone else dealt with this...how did you get throug it? Any advice would be great..heck just knowing I am not alone would be great too. Thanks for listening!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
(female)

Uhura HB User
Re: Post Foot Surgery Depression...anyone else out there going through it?

Not clinically depressed...but depressed enough - according to my caretakers (my husband & son). You have a loss of control & the ability to care for yourself is taken away from you.

If you're a type A-like person it will mess with your mind.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
(female)

tamass HB User

I know the loss of control and needed help to do even the smallest things plays a part in it but I also feel there is more to it. I can't seem to explain it but there jus feels like there is more than my loss of control. Heck my hubby keeps joking that I have more control now than ever and the perfect position on the couch to supervise and make sure all things are done my way. I have just semed to have lost that joking fun loving part of me the part that my boys and husband loved. I don't laugh at movies, jokes, or anthing anymore...it is just not me.

Thanks for the reply

Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

It sounds like you need a good cry. You need to grieve the loss of your "perfect" foot and leg. Your best friend moved away. Your mom and other family members have their own issues. You will cry as long as you need to!

You need a hug!

I don't think you are depressed at this point. It was a good idea to check in with your doctor. You might also want to talk to a counsellor to help you through this process.

Why not wear capris BTW? Get a funky pair of Birkenstocks and show off those scars! You earned them.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamass View Post
I know the loss of control and needed help to do even the smallest things plays a part in it but I also feel there is more to it. I can't seem to explain it but there jus feels like there is more than my loss of control. Heck my hubby keeps joking that I have more control now than ever and the perfect position on the couch to supervise and make sure all things are done my way. I have just semed to have lost that joking fun loving part of me the part that my boys and husband loved. I don't laugh at movies, jokes, or anthing anymore...it is just not me.

Thanks for the reply
I really do understand! I have been through 10 foot surgeries, some more complicated than others, and dealt with chronic foot/ankle pain since a work injury 9 years ago.

I too stopped laughing and joking around which was really strange because I am usually a silly and happy person. I blame some of it on the pain medication I was on. Are you taking anything?

Also, I ended up reaching out for help and found a wonderful pain psychologist. She helped me see that what I had been through was traumatic and I had to accept and process it. The fact that I was injured had a lot to do with my psychological state as my life changed in the blink of an eye and subsequently I had some issues to work through - anger, depression, etc.... You may want to look into it.

The good thing is you are noticing the state of mind you are in and reaching out to those of us who have been through it. Good for you!

You may try getting some fresh air and going for a ride (although not in your hubby's truck . There is a lot to be said for getting out - even when you really don't feel like it.

Keep posting!

Step

Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #6
(female)

midwestmary HB User

Hi Tara -

So glad to see you reaching out No wonder I found myself thinking about how you were doing knowing and I appreciated your response to my post to you in another thread. Keep posting, talking to us - I know it is hard to get out there in Ohio as I imagine you have as much snow as we do in Iowa - but, if you can keep getting some fresh air and a change of scenery. This is short for now - have to be off computer but wanted to respond. Let's stay in touch
Your foot buddy in Iowa,
Mary

Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
(female)

tamass HB User

Well...I found out today that the prescription benadryl the doctor had me on to help control the ichy cast issues actually can cause depression. He took me off that as soon as he found out the effects it was causing. I was taking it every four hours. It has been about 12 hours since my last dose amd I am already feeling a difference. The ichy problem is there but I will happily deal with that over the crying all the time. He said it would take about two or three days for the med to completely leave my system and get me back to my normal crazy fun loving self...I am looking forward to that.. so are my hubby and boys Thank you to everyone for your kind words and support.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Wow, that was an easy fix! I am glad you found an answer and can now get on with healing!

Try to ignore the itch and remember it is part of the healing process!

Closed Thread