It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
(male)

matthunt1984 HB User
Question Fractured calcanium recovery

Hi all,

First, heel bone, calcanium, calcaneus? All mean the same I think!

I shattered my heel bone while moving house, after losing my balance on the stairs and jumping to avoid rolling/falling down. Accident was Oct 17th '09, surgery Oct 23rd , Dec 18th was told partially WB (front of foot) and was told 100% WB on Friday 8th Jan 2010 (woo!). I've also developed a pressure sore on the back of the heel, but I'm hoping this remains minor and is being monitored.

I wanted to say a big thank you to the people that have already posted about similar experiences, this has made me feel more comfortable about my physical recovery and feel better knowing others are going through similar things. Also a well done to everyone that is/has gone through it, for sticking it out and keeping positive.

I'm in the UK (with the NHS), have been on elbow crutches, and now that I'm 100% WB I'm excited that my recovery feels more in my control than it's ever been. I haven't seen a physio at all yet, and was told in Dec when i was partially WB to start stretching my toes up.

The thing is I wasn't given exercises so have been doing what I think is right, but have wanted to get a second opinion really to make sure I'm not missing out any key exercises etc and looking at other posts I think I might be behind on my physio. Any suggestions or ********/scans of exercises would be a real help.

At the moment I don't really have an issue with pain (thankfully) apart from after sometime weight bearing, or some discomfort after exposure to cold. I practice walking with my crutches trying to take as much of the weight as I can on my foot, trying to make sure my foot follows the proper flow or by trying to push up & forward with my toes. I also do stretches by sitting in a straight posture and moving my foot backwards with it flat to the floor, reducing the angle from the shin to the thigh if that makes sense, and also do a stretch by pulling my big toe back, as this seems to be a bit tight. Lastly I'm try to do left-to-right flexing.

At the moment I am able to hobble without crutches, but that seems as beneficial in terms of exercise as hopping

I'm also wondering, once physical recovery is over, what does having metal screws in my foot mean? Do I need to be concious of this? I mainly ask as I used to do Parkour (AKA free-running) which involves jumping around and landing impacts and I'm concerned it might not be safe for me to resume this. (Some of my family think parkour may have been partially responsible for me breaking my heel so easily)

Hopefully I'm on the right track and I'll join the recovered crowd soon Any exercise advice is much appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Fractured calcanium recovery

Take the doc about physical therapy. I started around week 6. If your full weight bearing I would think you could do calf raises. Going below parallel may be to much at first. Will probably have to do with both feet.

Also need to rebuild your quads I would think. I did wall sits. Lean back against a wall, and sit partial down. Its harder then you think, a minute will feel like a hour.

I had problems with my toes. They started to curl down. To finally get some movement, I started working them multiple times a day. Push on top base and pull back on top bottom.

But talk to the doc and physical therapist. You need to do lots of range of motion stuff, using rubber bands.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Do a search on calcaneous. Calcanium is a new word to me.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
(male)

matthunt1984 HB User

Thanks for the feedback Zerk. I'm going to try and make sure the doc gives me some more formal physio or a referral to a physio next time I go.

Last time I was just happy to hear 100% WB and would've jumped up and down if I could

Been doing calf raises and stretches/range of motion exercises so hopefully that'll keep me in good stead. I feel like its getting stronger, and also my pressure sore is almost healed.

Lastly, all that horrible dead skin that's been under padding and couldn't get wet is now gone thanks to the shower proof dressing for my pressure sore. Who knew I could have clean feet! (Did anyone else find it satisfying to get rid of it all??)

Old 01-19-2010, 05:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

I did 6 weeks of whirlpool on the foot, so mine was pretty clean. Get therapy as soon as you can. I started around 6 weeks on the foot. They started me at 3 weeks when I got out of the hospital, doing light stuff on my legs.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #6
(male)

matthunt1984 HB User

Just an update, but after keeping up the home physio it seems to be paying off! I'm now much more comfortable on my foot, and can walk without crutches with only a slight limp, and tried driving again for the first time and its OK!

Closed Thread