It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
(female)

whpstickagostop HB User
exfoliating after surgery

After a surgical splint for two weeks and right at a week in an aircast my skin is super dry from the knee down. After showering the skin, especially on the bottom of my feet, seems to come off really bad. I'm assuming this is probably normal since it can't slough off like it would with normal walking but I'm wondering if there is an easier way to speed up the process. Tonight I washed it with a poofy body wash sponge, then rubbed dead skin off with a washcloth and coated it in lotion but it seems to happen every time i take a shower and doesn't seem to be an end in sight.

any advice from those of you who have dealt with this before?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: exfoliating after surgery

I gently scrubbed the dead skin off with a wash cloth and that helped. It also felt very good after about three weeks with no water on the foot! Now I am looking forward to a pedicure one of these days.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 PM   #3
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Yes - I'm still going through the sloughing off of dry skin and I had surgery Dec 8! It does eventually stop. The prize at the end is feet with baby-soft skin. : )

~ Jill

Old 01-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User

it will stop. just give it time.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You can use a facial exfoliant on the leg and top of the foot. It works well. For the bottom, a pumice stone or other similar instrument should help.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:52 PM   #6
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

After 2 weeks in a splint and 3 in a cast I have been dealing with the same thing. Every time I shower I just rub off more skin. Some areas have gotten a lot better and others continue to peel daily. I only put lotion (body butter from body shop) on when I get out of the shower. Putting it on a night makes it harder to rub the skin off in the shower. It will get better.

Closed Thread