It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
(female)

clunky ankle HB User
Question can you re-injure before spint is off?

I read through the boards and have a question I didn't see.
Is it possible to re-tear a repaired ligament before the splint even comes off?
I had a modified Brostrom with bone spur and scar tissue removal the 8th. (fixing a complete ATF tear.)
The first two days were painful but after that I didn't need to drugs except at night. Then about 6 days post-op I think I over did it. Days 6, 7 and 8 I've been needing more pain meds and I can feel a pop in my ankle when i lift my foot up. I'm still in a splint and not slated for a post-op visit for 6 more days.
Our insurance runs out the end of this month and then everything is out-of-pocket. I have two little babies, 1 and 2 years old, so this really needs to be the end of my ankle difficulties!
I'd really appreciate you sharing your experience and advice.
Thanks!
Becky

Old 01-17-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
(female)

clunky ankle HB User
Re: can you re-injure before spint is off?

Come on guys! 33 views and no one even says hi? I'd really love some advice here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

i have no experience with your procedure. However, some things do hurt off and on as they heal. I'd call the doctor and ask just in case.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
(female)

clunky ankle HB User

Thank you, Titchou. It seems like I call the office every-other-day! He has some pretty effective watch-dogs so I never actually get to talk with him.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Have you tried asking for his nurse? Sometimes I have better luck getting a message to my dr through his nurse than with the front desk. Also, I've been known to send a fax with a list of questions and ask him to call me with the answers. For some reason my doc prefers that method when he is really busy.

I have learned that I have to be my own advocate and to keep calling when it is important!

Keep us posted!

Step

Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #6
(female)

clunky ankle HB User

I never would have thought to send a fax! That is a GREAT idea. His office is an hour from my house, so it's not like I can just bee-bop in to ask a quick question.
He has an MA, not a nurse, and since my knowledge base is quite a bit broader than MA, I'm leery to ask her questions, based on past experiences.
I've been thinking about it, and perhaps I've come up with the answers to some of my questions. The burning sensation on the bottom of foot may be athlete's foot.
I have the sensation of heat, but the skin is normal temperature to the touch.
The initial issue of increased pain is still a problem when I move about but seems to be calming down when I just stay down.
Has Anybody had issues with calf muscle spasms? How did you deal with that. When my calf spasms it pulls on my brand new ligament and that does NOT feel good!

Old 01-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #7
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I had Brostom with arthroscopy on Dec. 10. The first 3 days were difficult and then my ankle kind of settled down for about 5 days. At about day 8 it started being sore again. Nothing like the first 3 days, but just sore. Mine turned out the be the splint making pressure points, one along the incision. When they put my cast on I ended up getting really crampy along the bottom of my foot and calf. It went away after about 2 days.

It's funny you mention a "pop" feeling where the ligament was repaired. I had the same thing, except it started once I was casted at 2 weeks post-op and starting to put weight on my foot. I'm in a boot now and it still happens now (5 1/2 weeks), but not as often. Reading about other Brostrom recoveries has made me realize that mine is not typical. I start PT on Wednesday, not even 6 weeks PO and I've been working on flexion/extension since my cast came off. I also can sleep barefoot!!!!!

Wait until you stand on the ankle for the first time barefoot. It feels so different than before surgery!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
(female)

clunky ankle HB User

I called the office yesterday. They think some of my issues are due to the splint rubbing the incision. So I'm going in this morning to get the splint removed. HOPEFULLY I don't have to put it back on again. This bugger is HEAVY. The MA said the burning sensation along the bottom of my foot is probably due to a nerve swelling. Awesome. I forgot to ask about the clunking on the phone. I'll be sure to do that in the office.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

clunky ankle - I didn't have the same procedure as you, but was in a splint cast for a couple of weeks. I had the burning sensation on the bottom of my foot, and it is due to the swelling and pressure against the cast. I also felt it when I was moved into a boot. It's finally gone! I took more pain meds when it got too bad, because I was ready to tear the cast off mysef some nights.

How did your appointment go?

Old 01-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
(female)

clunky ankle HB User

The appointment went well. The feeling of stepping on hot coals is subsiding, the cast is more open at the toe than the splint was, and I think that helps. The splint really was too loose and rubbing on the stitches. The cast is MUCH tighter, which has it's own set of challenges.
The doctor said that having my ankle immobile for a few more weeks would give the sutured ligament time to heal, thus solving the popping issue. He showed me between the splint coming off and the cast going on that it's really MUCH tighter now. He said the only way I would re-injure it is if I started playing professional soccer or fell down a flight of stairs. I'm not going to play soccer any time soon, and I plan on steering clear of stairs! (That's how I hurt it the first time.)
I've considered requesting anti-anxiety meds because I don't do well with confinement, but so far I'm coping with bio-feedback and meditation. Plus, the OS doesn't hand out Xanex and I don't want to pay someone else that may or may not give them to me. So far, so good.
Can I just say, I love you Health Board People? :-D

Closed Thread