It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
(female)

canarygirl HB User
Is this to soon to walk after Ankle Surgery?

I just found this board and enjoying reading but thought I'd ask my own question. I fell and broke both my fibia and tibia bones. 5 days later had to have a 2 hr surgery where they but the metal plate and 8 screws in. I was in the hard cast for 6 weeks. Yesterday they took it off and put me in the air walking boot. He said you can walk whenever you want to. I took one step and almost passed out it was so painful. My leg is still swollen and black and blue. He said I have no weight restriction and my husband thinks I should walk everyday some to get back to it. I feel like thats so soon, what is the norm? Is 6 weeks after a break like that common to start back walking with a walker? I'm 55 and female. Before the break I was extremly active. I did ask the Dr how soon till I go back to the gym and he said 4 months. Comments please. Thanks. Layla

Last edited by canarygirl; 01-20-2010 at 08:25 AM.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
(female)

skyhighifly HB User
Re: Is this to soon to walk after Ankle Surgery?

Don't try and put all your weight on it right from the beginning. Do is progressively. Your leg has to get used to having pressure on it all over again. Use crutches or a walker to do it. It will come. You have to push a little, but don't overdo so you are so sore you can't put any weight on it later in the day or the next.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
(female)

carolynpayne HB User

Hi
I just wanted to say that the last time I was on the message board, I had just started to walk on my leg from ankle surgery. I was experiencing all sorts of problems with my foot being too tender to walk on, but I followed some advice from others on the board and true enough today I am back walking.

Well since that time, I have arthritis in both knees. When I walk my knees are so sore. They hurt. I am recieving treatment now for that. Been on Mobic for a month. Seems to be working some but still having some problems. Anyone having same problem or have some suggestions for me?

This message board really builds confidence and helps also. Thank you all! Please respond back someone.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
(female)

sealz HB User

I had talus ocd and brostrom lateral ligament reconstruction done yesterday. I am not up at all really except to use restroom and to stroll around for a few minutes with my Rollabout. I know this is going to be a long road to recovery but I am going to do this right. I was always active when I was younger (38 now), and would like to get back to being active. Especially playing soccer & basketball with my kids. I've been haunted with this bad ankle for over 3 years, I would fall because my ankle gave out and be down for over a week with a grade 3 sprain. Never had an MRI done, just xrays, which was a mistake. You can't see anything with the xray. I finally told my doctor I was tired of being afraid of falling in my backyard! Best of luck!

Closed Thread