It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
(female)

Trixie1966 HB User
Almost no pain at 5 days post op is it a good sign or bad with an extreme fracture

I am five days out from a pretty severe fracture of the first metatarsal bone. The surgeon said the bone was smashed so bad in one area that it appeared as sand granules and needed to be cemented and grafted together. I have an external fixator holding four steel pins in place and was told to brace for an 8 to 12 week recovery with no word yet on when the external fixator will be removed. So here is my concern - before surgery my dr said it was a pretty straightforward procedure. However, when I came to he had a kind of serious expression and said he had no idea the break was so bad and that i will be nwb for atleast 6 weeks. I am in a splint and after being on Percocet for about 48 hours I weaned off to one single Motrin and now I simply have no need for pain meds. Please someone tell me this is a good sign - I am a liitle paranoid that perhaps I feel nothing because no healing is happening. Yesterday I felt sensations around the area of the fixator but today I simply have passing sensations and some pressure but that is it. My concern is that my pain level seems at best flat and I would think that active healing would come with mending pain so to speak. Also, did any of you stretch your nwb foot for the sake of comfort - it is crazy but my foot does not feel injured at all except again for the discomfort of the external fixator. Thanks for any and all opinions - will see my Dr in a week to get the stitches out but may phone him to see if this is normal. Thanks T

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread