It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
(female)

carcrash1992 HB User
Flat Foot Surgery

Hi, My name is Sarah and i just consulted with a surgeon today concerning my flat feet. He suggested surgery and I agreed with him because i have exhausted most or all of the other options of treatment. I am in my marching band, play sports, i lifeguard, and lastly i am an EMT so i am constantly on the go, so the surgery is going to have to wait until Thanksgiving of 2010, is that a good idea? During marching band, i lose points during competing cause the pain is so bad that i have to take the weight off of my feet, one at a time and sometimes get noticed. The Dr. said that there is a tendon on the plantar side of my foot that is too stretched out to make an arch, so he said he is going to tighten that but cutting some away and reconnecting the ends, has anyone ever had that before? if so how was the pain and how long did it take to recover? Also I am getting an implant on the dorsal side of my foot to help the arch. Lastly he wants to lengthen my heel cords because they are pulling my heel up and giving more reason for a flat foot. Has anyone ever gone through this? If so what was it like because i want to get a feel for what will be going on? and what are the surgeries particularly called? How long is recovery? How much pain was involved? just any details. Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to carcrash1992 For This Useful Post:
40Hendrix (05-10-2012)
Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
(female)

thefrosh3 HB User
Re: Flat Foot Surgery

hi carcrash1992,

I feel your pain. I am also in marching band and have the same problems with competitions and even practice. I don't have the flat foot problem though. I have ankle issues that really hurt especially when we backward march. I even fell because my ankle gave out during practice once. I am getting an ankle arthroscopy in 2 weeks so I can't really answer your questions. But I do know that flat foot reconstruction, probably the procedure your getting, is very painful and takes a long time to heal. Even though it's painful, I would say wait until the 2010 season is over so you can have the whole off-season to get better. Sorry to hear about it effecting the competitions, but I know exactly where you are coming from. I sprained my ankle about 2 weeks before championships and I thought I would wait to get it checked out til after thanksgiving, our championships at the very least. I went to practice one day after I did this and it was so painful I had to leave early to go to the ER. I was on crutches for a week then I was fine for a while and was able to get through championships. Right after I decided to go to my podiatrist since that was the third time in 2 years that I sprained the same ankle. So I have the earliest appointment for my surgery so I can be on my feet ASAP for this year because I am trying out for section leader. I would say wait til after Thanksgiving unless the pain is too much for you to march with. I would definetly consider this if your trying out for a leading position, such as section leader or drum major.
I hope this helped a bit!

thefrosh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
(female)

carcrash1992 HB User

Thanks thefrosh!
finally another band geek lol jk. thank you for responding, glad to hear that im not alone on this one. Its just frustrating to think that it could be helped but theres not enough time to recover, so, i guess ill have to deal. Is your surgery an outpatient one? and i agree, im leaning towards getting it right after thanksgiving weekend and get both feet done without running out of time. I am in the drumline tho, so i wont have to try out for anything!

Old 01-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #4
(female)

thefrosh3 HB User

carcrash1992,

Yes, my surgery will be an outpatient one. They are saying that I will be in the surgery center for 4-5 hours. But, what I am having done is a lot simpler than a flat foot reconstruction.
P.S. I love the drumline! I am teaching myself how to drum traditionally because it would be nice to be part of the drumline, but I really want to become a drum major my senior year so I have to stick with my instrument. Which is clarinet by the way! But I <3 the drumline! Best part in marching band, but at times can be the worst, no offense. Anyway, I am glad you found my post helpful! And if you want more info on my issue you can check out my thread "ankle arthroscopy questions".

thefrosh

Old 01-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #5
(male)

footprint HB User

carcrash1992,

my son was in band and it was great for him. as far as the names of your condition/surgeries, it sounds like you may have posterior tib tendon dysfunction which many drs treat with a fdl tendon transfer,perhaps a calcaneal osteotomy and a gastroc recission(achilles heel lengthening). Ask your dr about these procedures and understand them. it is important that you know what surgeries you are agreeing to and what the recovery outcome is going to be expected.

Footprint

Old 01-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
(female)

carcrash1992 HB User

[QUOTE=footprint;4168394]carcrash1992,

my son was in band and it was great for him. as far as the names of your condition/surgeries, it sounds like you may have posterior tib tendon dysfunction which many drs treat with a fdl tendon transfer,perhaps a calcaneal osteotomy and a gastroc recission(achilles heel lengthening). Ask your dr about these procedures and understand them. it is important that you know what surgeries you are agreeing to and what the recovery outcome is going to be expected.

Footprint[/QUOTE]

Thanks footprint,
I think you are right on the gastroc recession(achilles heel lengthening) but the others i am not sure about, i will have to ask about them, so thanks for the ideas. The doctor described the surgeries in details. but im wondering from someone who experienced them, to see it from a different angle?.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
(male)

footprint HB User

carcrash1992,

i am just a little ahead of you in my condition and search for answers. I have PPTD and i too am trying to find the solution for me. orthopaedic surgeon says do calcaneal osteotomy, gastroc recission and fdl transfers. a podiatric surgeon says do a fusion in talonavicular joint and subtalar implants. so i cannot give you an answer from the perspective of someone who has done the surgery. there are many posts on this site form people who have gone through it though. you will just have to do a lot of research on this cite.

Footprint

Closed Thread