It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
(female)

midwestmary HB User
Surgery Update & Question

This is my first chance to get on a computer since surgery Jan 19. I had a subtalar fusion, fdl transfer and gastroc ressession. So far, everything is going very well. I'm finding my knee scooter to be a very useful gadget - worked as a nice little table to play Uno with the granddaughter today Not doing too much scooting around yet.

On my first post op visit my Dr. said he plans to put me back in a boot rather than a cast (still no weight bearing of course) once the stitches are out and swelling subsides. He felt I'd have better results and would be more comfortable. I won't argue with the more comfortable part - but wondering if this is commonly done? Sounds like most end up with a cast - just wondering.

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User
Re: Surgery Update & Question

Hi Midwestmary!

Congratulations! It sounds like things are going well for you so far - even playing Uno with the grandkids!

When I had my subtalar joint fused I was first in a splint and then in a cast once my stitches were out. I don't remember how many weeks I was in a cast, but I moved fairly quick into a boot (4-6 weeks).

Funny how each doc is different in their post op protocol. Your plan may be different due to the other work you had done or my doc may just be more conservative - he tends to be that way.

I am curious to know why you had the additional procedures besides the subtalar fusion.

Keep posting!

Step

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
(female)

midwestmary HB User

Hi Step -

thanks for the reply - I know my question was one no could really answer - I'm just grateful to not be casted!

The fdl transfer and gastroc recession were also done because my ptt had ruptured so I went for a complete foot reconstruction. At 58, I'm still active but not athletic - am trusting for the best outcome and looking forward to getting out for my walks again once spring rolls around.

I've found these boards to be very helpful - helped me to prepare for this long recovery time. I found waiting for the surgery itself to be more difficult than the recovery so far. Take Care!
Mary in Snowy Iowa

Old 01-25-2010, 10:50 AM   #4
(female)

aed2113 HB User

Hey Midwestmary!
I've had a round of different surgeries to reconstruct my arches..I know this is different than what you had but I did have a gastroc recession on both legs. I've had five surgeries and the first three I was in the boot non-weight bearing once stitches were out and the last two in the cast. To be honest I kind of push for a cast because I find them more comfortable however, when I had the gastroc recessions it was nice to be in the boot because your foot doesn't have to be at 90 degrees right away like in a cast and with the recession gradually taking your foot back to neutral is important. Good luck!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

Hi Mary,
So glad that you are coming along in your recovery. I wish you continued good days overall and smooth sailing to full weight bearing so you can do everything you want to do when the snow subsides and spring is in the air!

Closed Thread