It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Big toe fusion 3 mos later - how did you feel?

I am three months post big toe fusion. My healing has gone well until recently. My orthotics do not feel right now, so I made an appointment to see the podiatrist who prescribed them and cast me, in order to get them adjusted. I got my surgery report, six week follow-up report from the surgeon, and six week post-op x-ray report to give to the podiatrist. I noticed the x-ray report said there was no evidence of boney fusion. I recently had my foot x-rayed again, and apparently the bone is receding. I went for a bone scan on Thursday to see if there is a bone infection, since receding bone might indicate an infection. Now I have to wait until Wednesday to learn the results. I suspect there is an infection.

I am still glad that I did this, though now I am nervous about what will happen next. If it is infection, I will likely have to have six weeks of antibiotics. That will be a drag, but if it works, I can handle it.

My foot is still tender. The doctor seemed to think that was odd at this point. What was your pain level at the three month mark?

Old 01-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

debbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB Userdebbie g HB User
Re: Big toe fusion 3 mos later - how did you feel?

so sorry to hear if you have an infection. your foot will be tender for quite sometime. just curious, how can you have orthodics when your foot is still swollen? it takes up to a year for the swelling to go down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: Big toe fusion 3 mos later - how did you feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie g View Post
just curious, how can you have orthodics when your foot is still swollen? it takes up to a year for the swelling to go down.

I know. That is why I did not let the podiatrist cast me for new orthotics. It felt like he just wanted to sell a product. That was disappointing because I have liked him. My surgeon's office can recommend two orthotists where I can get orthotics, one in Edmonton. Apparently they are way cheaper than what I could get from the podiatrist. I can also get them for about half the price from the physiotherapist as well. My physio said to wait a few more months at least too.

I will wait. First I have to make sure I am healing and that I do not have an infection.

Closed Thread