HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Anyone use green smoothies or supplements to expedite bone healing (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/732592-anyone-use-green-smoothies-supplements-expedite-bone-healing.html)

Trixie1966 01-24-2010 03:22 PM

Anyone use green smoothies or supplements to expedite bone healing

Given that my foot surgery came about after an injury I was not too up on healing broken bones until after the surgery took place. My surgery involved repairing a severely fractured 1st metatarsal with surgical cement and 4 pins set by an external fixator. I am 9 days out and must say I am faring quite well and certainly better than I had expected. Given how smashed my bone was in certain areas I am determined to do whatever it takes for a proper healing. I am taking liquid calcium/magnesium, vitamin D3, selenium, fish oil and a regular multi vitamin. In addition, I am consuming 24 ounces of green leafy smoothies. I feel great and am able to move my broken foot very well within the splint, and suffer very little in the way of pain. The 4 day post op appt my Dr said that he could see that I was healing well with no signs of infection. How much of my progress would you veteran foot patients attribute to the dietary and supplement habits. And by the way, I had been on a green smoothie regimen for about three weeks before the injury.

Zerk 01-25-2010 05:58 AM

Re: Anyone use green smoothies or supplements to expedite bone healing

Whats a green smoothie?

I was in a bad accident, and busted up all over. I took multi vitamin, protein powder, lots of milk and a joint supplement.

Trixie1966 01-25-2010 06:12 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident - I feel I got off easy with a fractured foot as so many on this board have survived way worse injuries. Green smoothies are a combination of 60% greens like romaine, spinach or dandelion and 40% fruit like bananas, peaches and apples blended in a high powered blender. I started drinking these smoothies weeks before my injury and now drink a few a week - the recommended is 24 ounces but I slacked off after surgery due to nausea. I hope to get back to 2 large smoothies daily as many swear that a combo of greens and apple really speed up recovery after surgery. The logic behind this is that the greens release more minerals after being broken down in a high speed blender. I will post after my 4 week post op xrays - here is hoping this does some good. I figure it doesn't hurt to cover all bases during recovery.

Northwind 01-25-2010 07:36 AM

That is interesting Trixie. I hope you continue to heal well. Do you have some recipes for the smoothies?

I am going to get on to something like that. I will find out if I have a bone infection in my foot on Wednesday. I will wait until then to adjust my diet that way.

Trixie1966 01-25-2010 10:05 AM

I use about a half of a fresh pineapple combined with two cups of spinach when I don't have a broken foot. Spinach is a no no when you have a fracture as it slows healing and the AMA actually warns that it doubles healing time. However, romain leaves or dandelion leaves work well with the pineapple. If you like things sweet then throw in a banana and it smooths out the texture considerably. We are always on a tight budget but I splurged just before Christmas on a Blendtec which blends the best tasting green smoothies. Pineapple is considered a natural healing food when it comes to mending broken bones and apples are also very useful in the recovery stage. Pears also work well with romaine lettuce - just play around and add greens and fruit in a blender and you will see how easy it is to make healthy recipes. Northwind, I sincerely hope that you get a negative on the bone infection results. I have an external ficxator and that is the one thing that worries me most. I rang my surgeon at 10:30 on Saturday night worried about how much I was moving my foot as the sling has loosened (hopefully due to diminshed swelling) and I once again brought up how I am not comfortable with not cleaning the pin sites daily. The surgeon seemed irritated and then said well I think you need to see me once a week as you are getting way ahead of yourself. I get that he essentially called me a whiny high maintenance patient but the thing is my foot recovery is very important to me. Boy, you don't even think about your feet until you can't use them. Did you by chance move your foot about as the fracture was healing? I am about 11 days post op.

Northwind 01-25-2010 11:16 AM

I had my big toe fused. It was all wrapped up for almost two weeks. I didn't move it then really. I was allowed to heel weight bear from the beginning. I had crutches for times when it was too sore for that, or to get around snow or puddles. The only time I "moved" it was when I stretched.........who knew you point your toes when you stretched. ;) Anyway, the surgeon said it was solid at the six week follow-up.

Sometimes I think docs forget that this is big for us. My surgeon seemed so matter of fact the first time I saw him. When I went back with my decision, I told him I knew this was a small joint and a small procedure in his world. He said yes, but it is painful. That helped me a lot. Maybe it is good you get to see him more often. That way you can be reassured and monitored.

I have been feeling very whiney with this possibility of an infection. It is big when we do not have full use of our body parts!

Thanks for the smoothy information. My husband works at a health food store, so I may try something like that. They sell wheat grass. I imagine that would work well too....

Whine away!

Trixie1966 01-25-2010 01:45 PM

Northwind,
Have your husband pick up some kale, dandelions, romaine, and spinach - your joint has healed as far as the fracture goes so spinach is safe for you. I bet wheat grass would work well but as far as green smoothies go just experiment with your favorite fruits. I was using green smoothies for weight loss before my injury but now insist on keeping up with them to heal the foot. Thanks for the kindness re: whining but you are so right that it is only the foot but such a big deal when it happens to you and turns the daily schedule upside down. Ofcourse the fact that my injury occurred at a time when Haiti sufferered way more horrific tragedies I felt shallow and even guilty for boo hooing over my own foot. Also, do you recall a lot of stinging sensations in your toe - my break was in the first metatarsal but it is the toe above that stings and feels the most painful. I am wondering when the pain truly subsides - I am hoping at 3 weeks post op things will feel really back to normal.

Zerk 01-25-2010 03:26 PM

[QUOTE=Trixie1966;4170505]The logic behind this is that the greens release more minerals after being broken down in a high speed blender. .[/QUOTE]

I doubt that, you really haven't changed the greens just cut them. They have not be altered. Maybe, it makes them easier to digest. But I have my doubts. Probably easier to eat quickly.

Be watchful for blood clots. Greens make your blood clot. I had a blood clot on the other leg with fractured femur, about a month after the accident.

Trixie1966 01-25-2010 04:08 PM

I doubted the claims by the green smoothie fanatics on line (some replace two out of three meals with these veggie smoothies!) but in all fairness I was drinking about 24 ounces daily and felt amazing. Great energy, better sleep, levelled mood and some decent weight loss. I did know that spinach is not recommended due to the fact it slows bone mending but I did not know it leads to blood clotting - thanks for the info and I am glad you recovered from a blood clot. I have no doubt eating 7 to 9 servings of greens would do the trick vs smoothies but I never manage to choke down that much in solid form whereas I love these smoothies.

Trixie1966 01-25-2010 04:56 PM

I checked on greens and blood clots and it appears the phytonutrients actually are supposed to naturally thin the blood. Red meat intake does the opposite as does dairy. Cruciferous veggies are also meant to be good as well post op as are fatty acid supplements.

Zerk 01-26-2010 08:16 AM

Maybe I got it backwards about the greens. but in the summer when I was eating lots of fresh veggies they upped my level of cummiden. Cummiden is a blood thinner. I haver factor V, which makes you prone to blood clots. Since this one was due to the accident, there is no plans to treat me. I just took the blood thinners for six months.

For most people it probably isn't an issue, I just wonder about it since you are eating so much. Wouldn't hurt to ask doc. If you feel the pain in your leg, see a doctor.

Zerk 01-26-2010 08:24 AM

[QUOTE=Trixie1966;4170953]I checked on greens and blood clots and it appears the phytonutrients actually are supposed to naturally thin the blood. .[/QUOTE]

Vitamin K thins the blood. Vitamin K is in green vegtibles. Like I said I had to increase the amount of blood thinners I took when eatring to many vegtables. Maybe not an issue for you, but wouldn't hurt to just ask the doc. If nothing else if you suspect a clot, get it checked.

Trixie1966 01-26-2010 04:06 PM

I will definitely mind the pain in my legs. I was always more concerned about getting a bone infection given that I have an external fixator and pins but yeah, a blood clot is certainly serious. Again, I wish you the best in your recovery - thinking of how others having to deal with way bigger issues makes my current state much easier to deal with.