It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
(male)

Slingshot1 HB User
Calcaneal Fracture--Walking Boot

Hi All,

When you were in the process of healing, how much did you wear the walking boot while at home?

When I am at home on the couch, I usually take the boot off as it is uncomfortable and makes my heel sore. I also don't wear it to bed and I'm a restless sleeper, so I wonder if I am moving my foot around too much.

The reason why I ask is my foot is healing at a slower pace than my doctor expected and I'm wondering if this could be an issue. I am at the 12 week mark and was supposed to be FWB in a boot by now, but my most recent MRI shows the fracture hasn't healed too much so I'm at 25% PWB. My background: 27 y/o active male, no surgery.

In no way am I trying to whine as I realize I am fortunate due to no surgery and especially after some of the stories I have read on this site, but just want to see if any veterans had any suggestions (should I be more disciplined with the boot so I keep my foot stable / my achilles from causing any irritation to the heel).

I hope everyone's recovery is going well.

Bill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Calcaneal Fracture--Walking Boot

My doc wanted me to take it off when resting, but not when sleeping. He didn't let me take it off for sleeping until around the ends. You just got to suck it up. I found leaving sheets and blankets untucked helped and let the toe stick out. Keep it on couple of pillows, needs to be raised. Your pretty much stuck sleeping on your back until this is down.

I think I was unbuckling it when sleeping though towards the end.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
(male)

Slingshot1 HB User

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the thoughts. Will be sleeping with it on tonight

Where are you at in your recovery?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I am almost 11 months out. I started WB at 12weeks. 12 seems a common time, some people sooner. I fractured the femur on the other said, so I didn't have a leg until week 9.

At week 12 I was using walker, and wheelchair a bit, its just easier. Within 2-3 weeks I was completely out of the wheelchair. Then cane and wheel chair. I was out of the walker by week 16. Maybe using it for long walks, if I went shopping, don't rememeber.

I was doinging most things by 4 months after wreck, but in moderation. I fairly acitve now, but I feel it. There will come a point, when its how bad to you want it. I think it comes naturally as you feel better, you want to do more.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #5
(male)

Slingshot1 HB User

Thanks again for thoughts. Glad to hear your recovery is going well. How was your level of discomfort right after the injury v. right before you WB v. after you started WB. I am barely WB and I'm at the highest level of discomfort yet for some reason...

Old 02-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #6
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Slingshot1 - I broke my heel 6 years ago and if I remember correctly, I slept in the boot for 3-4 months. My doctor said I needed to keep it stable and when you're asleep you're not aware of how much you move around. I only took it off when I was settled in one place for awhile because it's such a pain to take off and put back on!

~ Jill

Old 02-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

My pain wasn't bad, the month or so before WB. When I started WB I started with Celebrex in the morning. Once in awhile I would get bad, and could have used something stronger. I am still taking 1 in the morning, sometimes at night, now that I am back to work and more active.

Closed Thread