It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
(female)

heidi35 HB User
Cadaver tendon

Just wondering if anyone has had a tendon replaced with a cadaver tendon and if so what was recovery like and are you happy you had the surgery? Looks like this might be my next step and need some info.
Thanks Heidi

Old 01-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Cadaver tendon

I was going to, but my dr. actually did a newer technique using the periosteal flap of my fibula. It is basically using the outer layer of tissue as a ligament. That way you don't have to use a cadaver tendon. I went into surgery expecting the cadaver tendon because that's what we discussed, but came out with this. I guess the dr. decided to do that in surgery because I had enough tissue to use. He also tore out my ligaments and restrung them, for lack of a better term, and then did another Brostrom to shorten them.

I was worried about the cadaver tendon, but from what I was told and read the chance of infection is really low.

My ankle is very stable in terms of the ligaments right now. As for recovery, I can't really say because I also had other procedures done at the same time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread