It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
(female)

DBaker308 HB User
PTTD 3 wks. ago. Questions...

I had my first of 2 PTTD sugeries on January 6. Just a little over 3 weeks ago. I really overall felt that recovery has been going well. I had substantial pain for 2 weeks and now during the 3rd week have been able to cut back on pain meds. The last 2 days I have not taken hardly any pain meds because I really don't have much pain. I am somewhat uncomfortable but not pain.

The problem I am having now is I think my body is reacting from NOT having the pain meds. I know they were strong, narcotic pain killers. I am a MESS now! I am restless, seriously uncomfortable - similar to flu symptoms, emotional, not sleeping, headaches, ...just generally miserable. I had been feeling this way a couple days ago and took another pain pill and felt fine again. This scared me, because I really didn't have pain...yet I felt better after I took it. That is when I decided I needed to be done with them. But now I am simply miserable.

Anyone ever experience this before? If so..when can I expect some improvements on how I feel? I was taking oxycodone for 2 weeks and then Hydrocodone for 1 week.

I was overall feeling optomostic after sugery but now I am struggling SO much! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

midwestmary HB User
Re: PTTD 3 wks. ago. Questions...

Hi -
Just came across your post - I am 11 days post op. I haven't had the same experience with the pain meds - so I can't directly answer your question - but am writing to see how it is going for you now? I notice you wrote a few days ago - I hope the past few days have gone better

Mary in snowy, sunny Iowa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I have always taken just enough pain meds to be comfortable, not pain free. I switched to half pills as soon as I could and to Advil after that. I was never on the full dosage for more than 3-4 days. Everyone's tolerance for pain is different. You just have to keep working through getting off the meds. Maybe try to occupy your mind with other things. Puzzles, puzzle books, anything. I found that playing Wii was a great way to get moving and the blood flowing even when stuck in a chair with your foot up. I could play all the games just moving my arms. Got my mind off being stuck in a chair too.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #4
(female)

DBaker308 HB User

Hello Mary. Thanks for your reply. I am 4 weeks post op as of today. It has been getting a little better as each day goes by. The pain has pretty much subsided. I do get these tingling sensations across my whole foot and then I get a shooting pain through my toes that make me jump. I think I have read on this board that others have experienced it too.

I was fortunate to go from my surgical splint (which I had for 2 weeks) straight into a walking boot - even though I am non-weight bearing for 6 weeks. My doctor doesn't like casts in case of blood clots. So the nice thing about the boot is that I can take it off for 30 minutes a day. My foot feels so vulnerable when it is off though!

I am almost all the way off pain meds. I actually flushed some of the heavy ones down the toilet. I hated how I was feeling from not taking them. I take an occasional Darvocet for pain and was prescribed Valium for anxiety of which I have struggled with for the last 2 weeks. I have NEVER suffered from this before, but now have a new appreciation for those who do. It is quite debilitating.

I try to get out every other day for a "field trip" as I like to call them. Even just a ride in the car is nice. A friend took me to the mall yesterday to ride in a wheelchair just to get out. But being in snowy Michigan provides a few challenges with snow and crutches. So I have to be careful.

It is just a struggle relying on others for help. I am pretty strong-willed and independant, but also live in a 2 story condo, so lots of steps are involved - therefore I rely on help. I go to the doctor again February 12 to find out what is next.

How are you doing with your recovery? It is so comforting for me to hear other people's stories too.

Last edited by DBaker308; 02-02-2010 at 09:01 PM.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
(female)

midwestmary HB User

Good Morning Dbaker!

How is it going? I am just two weeks behind you in recovery. I sure can relate to being strong-willed and independent - it is hard to ask for help but I'm learning. That is perhaps one of the biggest challenges - it is very humbling and I know, good for me.

I too, went from surgical splint into a boot but no weight bearing for six weeks. Do they have you wrapping the foot/leg in ace bandages first? They told me I could take off the ace wraps and boot only to sleep and to shower....since my mom lives with us, I was already set with the shower chair and all that stuff - so it is working out well.

Pain wise, I haven't had too hard of a time - but I am still sitting with this elevated 95% of the time. If I am up on my knee scooter too long it begins to ache. Haven't had it down much at all - but the little bit it was down for them to take x-rays about killed me! Are you off the heavy pain stuff now?

Snow and ice are a problem here in Iowa, too. I've stayed in because of it - I'm just too afraid of falling - I have grandchildren who live just up the street so I play a lot of Uno with a 5 year old - she keeps me entertained

Take care!

Mary

Old 02-07-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
(female)

DBaker308 HB User

Hello Mary,

Thank you for your note. I hope you are doing well. So here is where I am at. I am 4 1/2 weeks post op. I do have my leg wrapped with gauze and ace bandages under my boot. My dr. told me I could have the boot off 30 minutes a day and that is all. Isn't is strange to hear the different things we are told? So anyway...I wait for the point of the day that I can no longer take it, then remove it for 30 minutes. I was also told not to get it wet, so I am still wrapping it in plastic for a shower.

I am off heavy pain meds...actually off all pain meds and have been now for about a week and a half. I still have struggled with anxiety. I am hearing that this is common after sugery/pain meds. My dr. told me I was going through withdrawls. I feel better from that now, but still have these anxiety attacks at night. They are NOT fun! I read a book on anxiety (never experienced this before) and learned some coping skills. Last night I slept all night for the first time since surgery - and no panic attacks at all.

I think maybe I have not been having enough activity. Sitting in a chair all day with my foot up has become too much. So I have had wonderful family and friends taking me out each day which helps so much! I am just trying to become a little active again...well as much as one can do with a knee roller. :-)

I go for quite of the day now not elevated and the throbbing is gone. I take ibuprofen once in a while now. I go to the doctor on Friday and am wondering if he will then tell me I can start putting weight on it. That will be just over 5 weeks. We will see. I have not had the x-rays you mentioned. Maybe Friday??

So I hope I am on the mend. Physically I feel that I am, but the emotional part is what I am referring to. Keep busy, feeling productive in some way and not just watching tv has helped that already.

Please update me on how your are doing and what stages you feel like you are. It is comforting to know that there are others around to connect with that are going throught the same thing. I hope your progress is going well and look forward to hearing about it.

Have a good day Mary,

Dana - from snowy but sunny Michigan.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
(female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User

Being under general anesthesia will make you hyper-emotional, as well as spacey. It's similar to the hormone surges of early pregnancy. Lasts about 3 months. I wonder if some of what you've been experiencing is from the anesthesia.

For the anxiety, there's an effective product available over-the-counter. You put 5 drops under your tongue and it takes the anxiety level down a few notches. Not gone, but more comfortable. Your pharmacy can order it for you, and I've seen it at those megavitamin stores. Comes in a little yellow box. I was trying to avoid a brand name, but... Bach Rescue Remedy Drops.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:04 AM   #8
(female)

midwestmary HB User

Hi Dana!
How's my foot buddy up there in Michigan? You would have been back to the Dr. by now - are you weight bearing yet? I have two weeks to go yet before I head back for x-ray to see if this fusion has actually fused...I think it may feel really strange to be back on two feet again!

It is so good you are getting out of the house more...it really does help, doesn't it I can tell that I am feeling better 'cause I'm starting to get really restless. My mom lives here with us, so having someone here all day helps a lot. We've had so much snow and ice, I've preferred to stay in. I've actually done "laps" around the house on my knee scooter....drives the dog nuts! Can't wait to walk again...I really miss it.

I'm looking forward to hearing how you are progressing...I agree, it i very encouraging to share our experiences!

Take care,
Mary

Closed Thread