It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
(female)

Trixie1966 HB User
Anyone using Arnica post op for healing

I had my dressing changed and my stitches removed at 13 days post op. My podiatrist tossed the splint and simply wrapped my foot. I was instructed to ankle roll and move my foot up and down until x rays at 20 days post op. To my delight I was able to do the full range of motion that day but woke with a lot of pain the day after. Arnica is a holistic remedy used in Australia and Europe for bumps and bruises but not used commonly in the US. Has anyone had success with Arnica for getting rid of the soreness and bruising? Also, when the stitches were removed my scar area looked raised and mangled and my surgeon commented that it wasn;t cosmetic stitching - how much can I do after the fact? The nurse had commented that it looked like the skin was stitched too tightly hence the bunched up look. Any comments appreciated as always. T

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: Anyone using Arnica post op for healing

I have taken some arnica tablets in a homeopathic formula. I was taking them at the beginning, slacked off and am now taking them again, so the jury is out.

I had a strange spot next to my incision, and asked the surgeon about it. It looked like the skin was folded or tucked or something. He didn't know what had caused it. He said that sometimes a stitch pulls it wierd. He suggested I rub that area. I have done that, and the spot has smoothed right out and it will not leave a scar from what I can tell. Also, the main scar is less red than intially. I imagine it will settle down in time. Surgical scars are usually quite red and raised for several months anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

I use Cocoa butter/vitamin E lotion on my scars. That's the only thing that my surgeon said I should use. I massage the lotion into my scars after I shower and they seem to be less puffy and less red/purple. I was told it could take up to a year to fade, but I'll probably always see them somewhat. Mine looked very mangled after my stitches were removed, but once the swelling goes down (within a month the worst is gone) they look much better.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
(female)

Trixie1966 HB User

I am using a topical product for my foot pain called Topricin and the results are simply amazing! In just one use the bruised area reverted back to healthy ivory skin and the pain was gone. Two uses and the swelling around my ankle is history so that I am able to really push forward on range of motion exercises. This product tauts the ability to heal the damage that causes post surgical pain and for me it has worked wonders. The product was created by a Vietnam vet after he had to deal with many post war ailments and nothing else worked - if the saleswoman at Wholefoods is to be believed. Anyway, it has Arnica as well as about 10 other herbs and comes in a light cream that you are to apply a few times daily. Give it a try if you are feeling any nerve or muscle pain.

Closed Thread