It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 12:01 AM   #1
(female)

skyhighifly HB User
Post-Brostrom Range of Motion

I did not have full range of motion before the surgery due to other surgeries/injuries. I'm wondering how much you were able to gain back especially dorsiflexion (pull toes towards leg) and inversion.

I'm only 7 weeks post-op. Been in a boot for the last 2 weeks and I walk really well in it (I was in a walking cast prior). I've been at PT for a week and a half and even the therapist has said that I may end up with pretty limited range of motion in every direction except plantar-flexion (point toes). Of course we're still going to work hard to achieve full range of motion.

The conversation made me wonder what others ended up with as far as range of motion. Also, how long did the swelling persist? Especially the swelling into the top of your foot?

Old 01-31-2010, 04:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: Post-Brostrom Range of Motion

My range of motion after my first Brostrom was pretty good...eventually. It took a long time, 6 mos at least, before I felt it was somewhat normal. It never came all the way back, but good enough that I didn't really notice it too much.
The swelling takes 6-12 mos to go away too. 7 weeks post-op, although it feels like it's been a long time, is really early post-op still. I didn't start to feel normal until 3-4 mos post op. It was closer to 4 mos when I felt like I wasn't in pain all the time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I don't have any pain. Sure, it get's sore when I am on my feet a lot, but that is expected. I haven't taken anything (Tylenol, Advil, etc.) in two and half weeks. PT makes it a bit sore that evening, but it resolves by the next day. I take the boot off whenever I am sitting and it is safe (no people moving all around) to do range of motion. It feels good to stretch and massage it. Some people think it's strange that it feels good to massage, but it really does feel good.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

Went to PT today and another therapist read over my operative report and took a look. Now I have two concerned that the range of motion I have right now is not what it should be, not even close. I'm doing all I'm supposed to. I see the surgeon's PA in 10 days. Should be interesting.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

I did work on ROM while I was sitting with the boot off. It still could be early to know for sure. Once you are out of the boot, I think you will find that your ROM will improve more. It is just so stiff after being in a cast and boot for so long, even if you do take it out and move it around.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I keep reminding myself that it's only been 7 1/2 weeks and to be patient. However, the athlete in me wants to get this moving. I was a competitive gymnast and even though I don't do it anymore, I waterski, snowski, and love to be active. Being tied down for the last 5 months (since it was first injured) has been horrible. I've had two ankle surgeries, surgery for bilateral 5th metatarsal bunions, 1st metatarsal stress fracture, 2 ankle sprains, and a nasty concussion since August 2007.

I know I'm getting frustrated and impatient. Of course to top it off the darn thing started aching again today. I think it's going to rain.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I know how you feel. I'm also very active. I was nationally ranked in sparring and forms in TKD. When I had my first Brostrom, I wasn't even allowed to walk until 10 weeks (I had other things done as well to my ankle) and really, it wasn't until 16 weeks that I even started to feel somewhat normal. I wasn't allowed to run until 20 weeks post-op. It was so frustrating because I wanted to get back to running and TKD. My second surgery my dr. let me run at 12 weeks, but I waited until 14, and the outcome was not good. I had a 3rd surgery and waited until 20 this time because I did much better post-op waiting until 20 weeks.
It takes time, and I know how darn frustrated you are. 7 weeks, 8 weeks is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I know it is hard to see now. Just tell yourself not to come to any conclusions before 16 weeks. Give it that long of recovery of not being super active and you'll see. There is a huge jump in relief between weeks 12 and 16.
Week 7 is still in major pain mode. Hang in there. You'll get back to everything.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I'm not in pain at all. Sure, some things are sore and it aches at times. I don't even hesitate to answer "no" when asked if I hurt. My therapist didn't believe me at first. I move really well in the boot and I can walk with a normal gate without it, slowly. I have like 9 more days until I should get freed. I just have to hold out. Though being a teacher, I don't envision making it an entire day without the boot right away. I'll make it through. I always do.

Closed Thread