It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
(female)

ardvark309 HB User
First metatarsul fusion surgery

I am early 50's, excellent shape, have three small kids, very active and excercise daily. I broke my toe and need the fusion surgery to take away the constant pain. My concern is how long before I can

Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: First metatarsul fusion surgery

How long before you can.....?

I had my toe fused on Oct 28, 09 and it has been a good thing. It was very scary to consider it ahead of time, but I found that none of what I feared came true. I had a spinal for the surgery and it was day surgery. He used a plate and pins, so I was able to heel weight bear right away as pain allowed. It was quite sore for the first couple of days, but that was mostly manageable with the meds he gave. I was off work for two weeks, and eased into it. I have work that I can do sitting down, so it was not a problem. I did find I was tired the first few days. I also had to keep my foot elevated or it would be painful. Elevation was the only thing I needed for pain relief after the fourth day or so.

Now after three months, I have little pain. I walked a fair bit on the weekend and it is a little grumbly right now. It will be better when I can go home and put it up. If I had a job where I had to be on my feet, I could do that now. With supportive shoes of course.

When will you be having the surgery?

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
(female)

ardvark309 HB User

not scheduled for surgery yet....I am researching it a lot before I decide to alter bones in my feet. My doc does it outpatient, under "twilight", about 1.5 hours long. I'm told I can't walk on it for a while and after 10 days will be fitted for a boot for for 6 weeks, hence the reason for no driving. I keep thinking it will get better and I can forget about it! deb

Old 02-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Hi Deb, so you were asking about driving? (it didn't get on the first message)

It seems like there are different techniques for this surgery. I believe they also used twilight on me in addition to the spinal. My surgery only took half an hour, but I could not feel my legs for about an hour and a half.

I was not able to drive for six weeks. That was the thing I worried about the most with this. It ended up going fast, and I was driving again before I knew it.

I struggled with the notion of destroying a joint. I asked the surgeon if it would fuse on its own and he said it would not completely fuse, and that it would continue to cause more pain. That was enough to convince me. Now it feels like I have more range of motion, which is ironic. It is fused at a 20 degree angle. It must have started hurting at 10 degrees before the surgery. Yikes

Old 02-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
(female)

ardvark309 HB User
Smile Re: First metatarsul fusion surgery

Thanks....I think!! Not sure how I will go for 6 weeks without driving....my doc says he knows most people drive after 2 or so.....cause you have to do what you have to do!! Will probably schedule in March. Thanks for info.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would not have felt comfortable driving at two weeks. Ouch. But then, I live in a spot where we have moose and deer. I drive out of town twice per week. I would not have wanted to have had to slam my foot on the brake suddenly!

Closed Thread