It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #1
(female)

jjjmac HB User
Bunion, post-op, Day 5

I had the standard surgery on one foot - shave down the bump, cut the big toe, and realigned it with a screw. I'm currently in a walking boot/shoe and am only supposed to get up for the bathroom and to eat for 2 weeks.

So, my biggest question at the moment is - if they cut the bone on the left side of my foot, why does the right side hurt so much? Is that normal? I didn't have a bunionette or anything done on that side but this is where it seems to hurt the most.

Also, maybe worth noting is that I had a very hard time keeping it elevated the first 2-3 days. Everytime I elevated my leg, my foot and lower leg would have a ton of pain, kind of like a cramping. I couldn't sleep at all for about 3 days...finally slept a couple of hours and kind of jerked my foot when I woke up (unconscious movement) and it felt like something moved, and now I haven't had nearly as much pain and I have no problem elevating it. I'm not sure what was wrong, but I don't think that was normal. This other side of my foot has been in pain the whole time though.

It seems like I should be able to put a little weight on it by now, day 5? But I really can't seem to manage any...I have an appointment on Wednesday (today is Monday) and he's going to change the dressings then so I guess I will find out soon enough. But the few times I've tried to put weight on my foot, I've felt kind a (small) "clicking" in my foot and that freaks me out. It could just be that one of the stitches is caught up in the guaze or something but I don't know. Anyone else have that issue?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
(male)

RunnerMac HB User
Re: Bunion, post-op, Day 5

Be patient. I know it is hard, but your foot has been put through a lot of trauma and there is stress on the whole foot. Elevation is hugely important, are you icing as well? Both of those things will help. Try not to worry too much until you see the doctor and the first bandages are removed, it will be substantially more comfortable after that and it isn't surprising that you can't put weight on it yet.
Good luck!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
(female)

jjjmac HB User

Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't really expect to be able to put much weight on it, but it seems like a lot of people say they are going back to work after a few days. And the doctor said I could walk on it to go to the bathroom, but there's no way I could possibly do that. They didn't send me home with crutches or anything. So I've been camping out downstairs, where luckily we have a half bath and hardwood floors...so I've been getting on an office chair from the sofa and then I roll myself to the bathroom, or to the microwave or fridge, and back to the sofa. I'm still curious why the side that wasn't operated on hurts more than the side that was? It seems strange. Maybe it has something to do with how the bandage is wrapped.

Admittedly, I think I have been "up" too much - rolling around, but not up on the actual foot. I have been icing it the whole time, but have only been elevating it the last 2 days because it hurt too much to do it for very long before. It doesn't seem any more (or less?) swollen than it was after the surgery but I'm not sure I'd notice if it was because of the bandage that's on it. I didn't need to take any pain meds during the day today, so hopefully all is well. It's hard not knowing what's going on under those bandages (but I really don't want to see it either!)

Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

wakkochic17 HB User

I would second it's probably how the bandages are wrapped.. I had some trouble afterwards of it pinching my foot which made it uncomfortable to "walk" in the boot. Also with the swelling it makes it awkward. You will probably find a bit of relief after the first good bandage change from your doctor! Oh.. and the "uncontrolled flinching" of your foot in the middle of the night?? can be painful but normal.. had it happen with all of my foot surgeries. Guess the "nerves" are coming back to life and get excited.. lol!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
(female)

jjjmac HB User

Yeah, apparently the bandages were wrapped way too tight. It feels better now, with the re-wrap done, but it's still really sore...hurts more on the non-surgery side than the broken side! "Someone" was supposed to tell us that we could unwrap the Ace bandage if there was a problem...but no one ever said that, they only said we could check the boot and loosen it if it looked tight (which it wasn't). They specifically told us not to remove the bandages, but only meant the gauze bandages, not the Ace wrap. Argh. Seriously, the worst pain in my life those first 3 days because I didn't get the right instructions! I just hope it didn't do any permanent damage.

Last edited by jjjmac; 02-03-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
(female)

mamacta72 HB User

I am 10 days post op. I had a double-bunionectomy, way harder to deal with than a single. I had hardly any pain just discomfort and swelling which with all the bandages felt like the circulation was stopping the bloodflow to my feet but my doctor said it was fine. Even with my husband being home for the first 5 days was extremely difficult. He tried helping me to the bathroom but i was better off doing it myself. I sleep on an air matress in the living room. I'd roll off and roll myself in front of the couch turn backwards and use my arm muscle to slide onto couch backwards. I'd have th wheelchair close enough to sit up using my arm muscles again and slide into wheel chair and rolling myself to the bathroom.Make sure the the wheelchair WHEELS ARE ALWAYS LOCKED!! I get close as i can to the entrance of the bathroom take 2 steps on my HEELS and plop onto toilet,what a relief. Getting up was more challenging. To take a bath was somewhat difficult. I'd wheel myself to the bottom of the stairs and sit on the bottom step backwards. I'd pull myself up the stairs once again using my arms and pushing gently with my heels to go up 2 flights. Took me 10 minutes the 1st 3 times now i make it in half the time.Once on top of the stairs, I scoot myself on my bottom into the bathroom scooting backwards. I scoot close to the bathtub, and once again using my arms pulled myself up and over into the bathtub hanging my feet out. It helps to have a removable showerhead so you can give yourself your own . bath. Going down the stairs is way easier. Gotta tell you, I'm 38, out of shape, and weigh 190lbs. But i did it. My arm, stomach, and leg muscles feel stronger. At 5 days post-op i went to my appt. I was extremely nervous. This was my first surgery. I was sweating and wanted to faint. It felt good to have the bandages off. But when they took the tape off my stitches to clean the area I freaked. You might feel a little pulling on the stitches but NO pain. He rewrapped the foot and it's very tight again. My advice, the ELEVATE AND ICE!!!! I'm 10 days post op and I am still elevating and icing. I go back in 5 days which would be 2 weeks and 1 day to get my stitches removed.He said i can then purchase a good running shoe that he recommended but will still need bedrest for another week or two. I can wear the running shoe or the boot whichever feels more comfortable. I will continue wearing the boot because I don't think i feel comfortable enough right now to fit my foot in a shoe.Also for you women out there, try and schedule your sugery a couple of days after your menstral period...

Last edited by mamacta72; 05-06-2010 at 11:49 PM.

Closed Thread