It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
(female)

klang2001 HB User
How did you calm your nerves in the run up to your op?

I am having surgery in 4 weeks time. I have had operations before on my tummy but never anything like this.
I am so nervous. I keep having nightmares, panicking, stress headaches, you name it!
how did you feel in the weeks before your op? I have always been very sick for a couple of days after GA, so i know I have to speak to the anesthatist in depth about this, but at the moment, being sick and dealing with the pain makes me think is it worth it?

kate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2010, 05:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User
Re: How did you calm your nerves in the run up to your op?

Kate,

What are you having done?

I found that the more I read about it, the more I asked questions on forums like this, the better I felt. I'm one of those people that if I fully understand what the dr. is going to do, then I am more at peace with the whole thing.

Also, make sure you let the anesthesiologist know about the nausea. They can give you different meds to help with that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
(female)

klang2001 HB User

Hello Kris

I dont know the exact terms but I am having weils procedure to shorten toes 2 - 5 and the toe joint on the big toe fused. the last part of my big toe is rotated as if i have a bunion but it is the last joint, not the normal bunion one.
I am a type 1 diabetic too.
I have been doing lots of reading on the internet, but this sems to just fill be with ideas and my imagination is running away with me.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
(female)

midwestmary HB User

Hi Kate -

I'm two weeks post op from having several procedures done on my foot - including fusion. I can relate to what you are feeling! I can only share my experience with you thus far and I hope it helps! The waiting before the surgery was by far harder than the recovery has been so far. I also experience nausea after surgery - they did give me something but I did experience some of that - went away after day 2. Pain wise, hasn't been too bad - much, much, less than I had imagined it would be. Surmise to say, for me, the anticipation was so much worse and it is going better than I could hope for. I'm grateful!

I did find it very helpful to be prepared ahead of time (advice from this forum helped a lot). In the meantime, finding things that relax you may help to focus less on what lies ahead - easier said, than done, I know Keep posting!

Mary in Iowa

Old 02-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Hi klang, I was the same as Mary and Kris. I learned more about the procedure and heard people's experiences. I was delighted to find this forum and to read that people who'd had their big toe fused were happy with the procedure. It felt like I was the only one who was going through this until I found this board. It is hard to find information on big toe fusions. I also found out about a Canadian program that links orthopaedic patients with people who'd already had the surgery. I waa able to talk with a man who had his two fused two years ago. That also helped.

One worry I kept having was the notion that I was destroying a perfectly good joint. Of course that was nonsense.....the joint was very damaged, and this was giving me a life back.

It seemed that my anxiety went through a process too. I worried about each step in order of when they would happen. ie the surgery, then the recovery etc. By the time I made it to the day of the surgery, I was totally ready and not anxious anymore.

Now I am three months post-op and I am healing well and glad I had the surgery.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
(female)

klang2001 HB User

Hello Northwind

Thank you for the reply, it is great to hear you are glad you had the surgery. I was ok this morning, kind of did alot of thinking, but then i spoke to my mother who asked if i was doing the right thing and that her pod didnt think it was a good idea! this has upset me. mum lives 200miles away and she sees a pod to have her nails cut... i dont think he has a clue about me, but i am stressing again.

How long were you under anesthetic for? I think i may be under a while as they are doing something to every toe. Any ideas?
Kate

Old 02-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

I had a spinal, so was awake during the procedure. They did give me some drugs to make me drowsy. I wish I had not had them because I think they made me sick. I think I would have been okay with just the spinal. The procedure took a half hour and I didn't feel my legs for almost an hour after that I think. I am pretty sure I was in the post-anaesthetic are for an hour following the surgery.

My podiatrist recommended another procedure which would have allowed me to keep movement in that joint. He probably would have said a fusion was not a good idea. I did a lot nof homework and believe that the fusion was indeed my best option. The joint was pretty damaged. AN orthopaedic surgeon did my surgery. I started another thread commenting about how they tell you a fusion will affect your gait negatively. Well, the sore joint affected my gait. I feel that I can walk way more normally with this fusion. Other people I talked with have said the same thing.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
(female)

thefrosh3 HB User

klang2001,

I just had an ankle arthroscopy done today and I wasn't too nervous. I, like the others, researched the procedure thoroughly so I knew exactly how everything was going to go. I am a person who needs constant mental input, so I think it had to do with how I just needed the information. Talk to your anesthesist about the nausea because I had food poisoning and vomited yesterday and my anesthesist gave me an anti-nausea drug through mmy IV before they put me under. I'm sure you know this but, before they put you completely under, they will give you a calming drug, just in case you feel like jumping off the operating table...just kidding. Anyway, I hope this helped you and good luck with your procedure and recovery!

thefrosh

Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrosh3
just in case you feel like jumping off the operating table...just kidding.
LOL! As if you could move after a spinal! I thought of that after the fact. They give you things to calm you, yet you have a spinal, so you are basically paralyzed from the waist down.........

How ironic.

Closed Thread