It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Big toe fusion and gait

I need to express something to counter what I keep reading. One thing they say is a negative effect of having the big toe fused is that it alters the gait of the person and causes more problems as a result. I wish that myth would go away.

I had my big toe fused three months ago. My gait had altered to accomodate the pain, so I was walking more on the side of my foot, and my foot was beding a wrong way when toeing off. My hip was sore. My knee was becoming sore.

Now that I have had the surgery, I can walk in a more normal manner, and my hip is feeling much better.

I was afraid that having the surgery would cause more problems. It did not. I want others to know this too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Northwind For This Useful Post:
sunseeker (11-25-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User
Re: Big toe fusion and gait

Has anyone else had the experience of gait improving following the big toe fusion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
(female)

53home HB User

Has anyone ever developed CRSP Complex Regional Pain Syndrome after foot surgery ? Please help

Old 02-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53home View Post
Has anyone ever developed CRSP Complex Regional Pain Syndrome after foot surgery ? Please help
That would be a good question for a new thread.

Old 02-07-2010, 02:24 AM   #5
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

Northwind - thanks for adding a positive spin and clearing up that myth. : )

~ Jill

Old 02-09-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Chubstercat HB UserChubstercat HB User

North, this is Chubstercat in Upstate New York. I had the surgery on Jan 25. I am in a cast and get the stitches removed and 1st x-ray on Thursday. So far, so good - will keep you posted.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
(female)

jdm1 HB User

I had 2 foot surgeries prior to my fusion and I wish I had done the fusion first. It has been the best thing I have done. I am able to everything I want to do (except wear high heels but shouldn't be wearing those anyway). I most likely need to get my right foot done and I am actually looking forward to it.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

When did you have the fusion done? It is nice to hear that from you. I decided to go with the fusion first because it seemed to be the direction I was heading in anyway. I did not want another foot surgery in a year. I had it done in Oct 09, and so far so good. I went for a walk with the dog today and it feels pretty good. I do have stiff soled boots, which helps in this snowy clime.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
(female)

jdm1 HB User

My fusion was in 04. I first started with surgery in Dec. 99. My doc wouldn't fuse becasue of my age (29 at that time). It was a long recovery. I had a bone graft from my hip and that almost hurt worse than my toe. The hard part was the NWB for almost 6 weeks. The only reason that I am putting off the other surgery on the right foot is that I have to have someone come take care of me for 6 weeks.

Closed Thread