It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
(female)

chi913 HB User
Smile PTTD Surgery - still limping after 5 mos

On August 25 I had surgery to repair a torn PT tendon. The surgeon also did an achillies tendon lengthening and a calcaneal osteotomy to prevent it from rupturing again. I was in a cast non-weight bearing for 7 weeks, then went to a boot for 3 weeks, then finally a regular shoe. I had PT for 8 weeks right after the cast came off. I have to say, I was making progress. I noticed that right after the cast came off, it was difficult to put weight on it, but it came easier and easier each day. I went from using a walker, to using a cane, then I didn't need any support. Now after 5 months, I seem to be stuck at walking with this limp. I'm not doing PT any longer, my insurance only approved 8 weeks. I really felt that I could do the therapy on my own, they were not doing that much for me any longer.

I still have a lot of stiffness in the whole foot, especially the achillies tendon area, and where he put in the bone graft for the calcaneal ostetomy. My doctor said I have good range of motion, but I am still unable to raise up on my bad foot on my toes. I just don't seem to have the strength in that foot to raise up on my toes. I can raise up with two feet, but not on one. My doctor got me annoyed, because he could not understand why I was limping and why I could not raise up on my toes. It is really frustrating because I want to be able to walk normal again and not limp and have pain.

I'd like to hear from anyone who had this surgery, and how long does it take to get back to walking like a normal person (if at all possible). Before I had the tendon rupture, I enjoyed taking walks in my neighborhood and on the treadmill and I would love to be able to do that again without pain. So far I'm able to walk around the block and I struggle to do a mile on the treadmill at only 2.0 MPH. If I try to go faster, I start to limp.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Lucia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
(male)

dmarcus48 HB User
Re: PTTD Surgery - still limping after 5 mos

I had surgery on both feet for PTTI (which is the same thing) and the recovery period for this type of surgery is at least a year. I don't know which procedures you had done, I had what's called a hind foot reconstruction, which involved seven procedures, I never could remember all the names, but I know there was an iliac bone crest, a fdl transfer, a posterior and anterior calcaneal osteotomy, and an achilles tendon lengthening. Where did you have your surgery?

Old 02-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
(female)

chi913 HB User

I had my surgery in Manahawkin, NJ which is southern Ocean County near Long Beach Island. A podiatrist did my surgery. He was able to do it without the tendon transfer. Once he did the achillies lengthening, he was able to cut off the torn part of the tendon and screw it back into the bone. I just had the three incisions on my foot. How long ago was your surgery?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
(male)

dmarcus48 HB User

I'm from Edison myself. I had my left foot done in 2005 and my right foot in 2006. My surgeries were more involved then yours, you just have to give it time. If your pain if under control that's the main thing. Don't push it too hard and just let it heal. It takes time.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
(female)

midwestmary HB User

Hi Lucia,

I am two weeks post op from a similar procedure as yours - I did have the subtalar fusion as well. It sounds like you have made a good recovery thus far - hopefully someone else who is further into this can be of more help. I appreciate you posting - comforting to have an idea of what to expect down the road.

Take care,

Mary

Old 02-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #6
(female)

chi913 HB User

Mary,
You must still be in the cast and non-weight bearing. I have to admit, when I was doing that the time did not go by fast enough. I had a party the day the doctor took off the cast. It is nice to hear from other people who are going through the same things. How are you getting around? I rented a knee walker and it was great.

Thanks for responding to my posting. Let me know if you have any questions.

Lucia

Closed Thread