It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
(female)

thefrosh3 HB User
Smile Survived Ankle Arthroscopy

Hey everybody!

I just had my ankle arthroscopy today. Okay, first of all, going under was awesome! It was probably when I felt the best today. I was'nt nauseous when I woke up because they gave me an anti-nauseous drug through my IV. They wanted to make sure I wouldn't get sick because I had a bit of food poisoning yesterday and was vomiting a lot. Waking up was a whole different story though as I felt the pain immediately. Since I wasn't nauseous, they got me eating and drinking right away. After that, they gave me my first dose of percocet after I finally got into focus, which took me forever. I couldn't get a steady picture on anything for a while, but finally started to wake up more as they got ready to discharge me. They wheeled me out to my car and I hopped up into it ready to finally go home. On the car ride home the percocet started to kick in and I was off in la-la land. I needed a lot of help getting into my house because I didn't have the focus to crutch myself in, so I had people be crutches. As soon as I got in I layed down, elevated it, started my ice rounds and started to drink more fluids. I fell asleep eventually...after groggly telling about my time at the surgery center to everyone. From what they were saying, my brain was working faster than my mouth could say it. Anyway, I had a basic clean-out while they found a dent in my cartilage, which they can do nothing about. I am non-weight bearing for a week and I am not allowed to go back to school until I see my surgeon on Monday. I don't know how many stitches I have but I will find out sooner or later. As for pain...it's horrible! It's like my whole ankle is on fire, but it calms down when I take percocet and motrin. I have to take medication every four hours and ice it for 20 minutes every 2 hours. I just took some medication a little while ago so I am ready to take a nap. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks for all of the pre-op support!

thefrosh

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
(female)

thefrosh3 HB User
Re: Survived Ankle Arthroscopy

hey guys!

Quick question before the painkillers take over...is it normal for there to be a little blood on your dressing from where your stitches are?

thanks,
thefrosh

Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
(female)

ahodous HB User

thefrosh,
Congrats on making it through surgery. My splint after surgery was so large (measured over 22 inches around) so I could not see blood on the bandages. I do remember when they switched it to the hard cast it did have some blood on the inner bandages. I also remember feeling like at times i could feel it bleeding or draining every once in awhile.

Best of luck in the rest of recovery!

Angela

Last edited by ahodous; 02-03-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
(female)

thefrosh3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahodous View Post
thefrosh,
Congrats on making it through surgery. My splint after surgery was so large (measured over 22 inches around) so I could not see blood on the bandages. I do remember when they switched it to the hard cast it did have some blood on the inner bandages. I also remember feeling like at times i could feel it bleeding or draining every once in awhile.

Best of luck in the rest of recovery!

Angela
Angela,

Thanks for this comment. That's exactly what I feel: the bleeding or draining every once in a while. When I checked on the dressing, there was a little blood so I was worried, but they said that that would be normal. The blood went all the way to where the ace bandange like material so I was not too sure if that was safe. Again, much thanks for your help.

thefrosh

Old 02-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #5
(female)

thefrosh3 HB User

hey everybody,

My surgeon was talking about temporary nerve damage after having my surgery--the ankle arthroscopy. I think that I have this and I was wondering if anybody else dealt with this and how long it lasts. Thanks!

thefrosh

Old 02-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Did he happen to describe what temporary nerve damage is?

It seems to me like every foot surgery I have I have suffered from something that could be called "temporary nerve damage." There are a ton of nerves in the foot that form a weblike pattern. It would be very difficult to not damage or at least disturb a nerve during surgery.

I have felt different types of nerve pain - from pins and needles on the sole of my foot to a stabbing pain right behind my ankle bone. There are medications they can give you if you can't tolerate it, but honestly I don't like to take them - weight gain is one of the side effects as well as drowsiness.

I have also had numbness as a result of surgery. Although it may seem like a good thing to have when the rest of your foot it hurting, it can actually be dangerous. You could easily cut your foot and not know it if it is completely numb in spots.

Sometimes my nerve disruptions have lasted a couple of years and sometimes just a matter of days.

What type of symptoms are you experiencing?

Keep posting!

Step

Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
(female)

thefrosh3 HB User

step,

Pretty much all of your descriptions for "temporary nerve damage" apply to me. They don't all happen at the same time, but they vary from time to time. Mostly I have pin and needles and the occasional numbness. I do every once in a while get the stabbing pain. They gave me the pain meds (percocet and perscription motrin), I usually just take the motrin and only take the percocet when I absolutely need it. My surgeon explained this to me before surgery and said that it should probably only last for a while as it varies from person to person. I am going for my first appointment later today. I will keep you updated.

thefrosh

Old 02-09-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

frosh,

I have learned a couple of things about nerve pain that may help.

The first is that narcotic pain meds, like percocet, cannot relieve it. Trust me - I have tried. However, there are meds like lyrica and some others that people have found effective. I don't like them just because they cause weight gain. You may ask your dr about this - it might help with the stabbing pain. I have one spot that continues to have stabbing pain 3 years after one of my procedures. I think the problem is that drs have used this particular scar to make incisions for surgeries 3-4 times. No wonder why there is some damage.

Second, for the pins and needles pain that I had on the bottom of my foot, I used lidocaine patches and they worked really well. They are also a good option because they don't emit medicince anywhere it isn't needed and I did not experience any side effects. You may want to ask your dr about these.

Finally, patience is definitely required when dealing with nerve pain. It definitely varies from person to person and actually even varies within the same person's experiences. Like I said in my other post, sometimes my nerve pain is relieved in a matter of days and sometimes it lasts for years. I have one spot on my big toe that annoys me every now and then since my initial fracture in 2000. I don't seek treatment for it because frankly, it just isn't worth it. After all, it only bothers me every now and then and even when it does it only lasts for a few seconds. It feels like an electrical current runs up my toe. I call them "zingers."

Anyway, I wish you luck at your appt. Friday. Keep us posted!

Step

Old 02-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
(female)

thefrosh3 HB User

hey everyone,

I had my first post-op appointment today. They just put antibiotic powder where the incisions and stitches are and put on a new dressing...it's purple, yay!!! Well, I have been nonweight bearing for almost a week and my surgeon put a stop to that. She told me to ditch the crutches and walk. I was thinking "is this chick crazy?" and "oh boy, is she nuts!" I said "ok", reluctantly, and that was that. My surgeon also tried moving my ankle joint around and I think that was the weirdest feeling I ever had. When I got up to walk, I thought I was going to scream! Walking was even worse! I had to use one crutch to get out of the doctors office because I just couldn't take full-weight bearing. I am still getting used to the pain and hate walking on it but my surgeon is making me. I tried to stop using percocet, but I believe I am going to be needing it. I am going to take a dose before I go to sleep tonight. I have an appointment on Monday to get the stitches out and sometime after that, my surgeon said I will start physical therapy. Bottom line: I think my surgeon is nuts. Tell me what you think. I will keep you guys posted.

thefrosh

Old 02-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I had an ankle arthroscopy in 1996 and walked on it the day after a few steps and by 4-5 days PO was ditching the crutches. What all did they do during your surgery?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 AM   #11
(female)

thefrosh3 HB User

skyhigh,

My surgery was basically a clean-out of the joint and while they were in there, they found a dent in my cartilage. They told me that there was nothing that they could have done about it. I wonder if this has something to do with the pain that I have. Would it?

thefrosh

Old 02-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #12
(female)

fluffy999 HB User

Hey thefrosh.

Bleeding completely normal after surgery. I had to go back to casualty (ER) the day after surgery as I was oozing alot and thought maybe I'd popped a stitch. It was nothing though so I left feeling silly.
I'm so glad you feel better. I must say though I'm a tad jealous you were so out-of-it between waking up from the op and getting home. I was horribly aware of everything!

Also - all surgeons are nuts but they do a good job so let it go I say.

As for nerve damage - I have some. Weird. I get a warmth in my left calf. It's like I'm sitting on top of the heater at work and my foot warms up, then my lower leg and in the end I feel like I want to move away from the heater though there isn't one there! It comes and goes and isn't really troublesome. Though the pins and needles I get off and on are very troiblesome. I get up and it feels like my foot has gone to sleep and I'm going to fall over again. Hmmpphhh.

Big hugs.
Fluffy. xx

Last edited by fluffy999; 02-10-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: more info added

Old 02-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #13
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

I had "clean sweep" in 1996. They also removed some loose bodies. I was 15 and an athlete. I never took anything more than Advil after. Sure, it got a bit sore, but nothing major. Just shows how different everyone's experiences can be with different doctors even when the procedures seem quite similar. I just had another arthroscopy and Brostrom beginning of December and was off pain meds during the day by 5-6 days PO and at night by 10 days. I think I took one or two when I got switched to a cast. I hate the meds.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
(female)

fluffy999 HB User

Hi skyhighifly.

Oh. My. God. Sooooooooo lucky with the pain relief. I am seriously jealous and feeling some admiration. I need my pain relief. I'd sell my granny for stronger painkillers!

Fluffy. x

Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 PM   #15
(female)

thefrosh3 HB User

hey everyone,

I got my stitches out yesterday! My surgeon said I am healing nearly perfectly! Yay! I am going to be starting PT sometime next week. I'll keep you guys posted...

thefrosh

PS: Returned to class today...so much to do...so many mid-terms to make up...my school is stupid because they didn't think to send my work home until today!...tired...in pain...need...sleeeeeeep...

Closed Thread