It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
(female)

foreverxxbxx HB User
Questions on the Chrisman-snook surgery

I'm a 15 year old very active girl. I'm a competitive swimmer and tennis player and don't like to be out of the game for long. I constantly sprain my ankles and just got an OCD surgery on my ankle in Sept. I was recently told that I need a surgery called Chrisman-snook. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on getting this surgery?and what the recovery time was? and how much pain I will be in afterwards? I'm getting the surgery in a week so a quick reply would be greatly appreciated:]

Old 02-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
(female)

skyhighifly HB User
Re: Questions on the Chrisman-snook surgery

I had a Brostrom done in December. It's another type of lateral ligament repair. I was sort of numb when I woke after the surgery. I took vicodin 7.5 for pain and did fine. Days 3 and 4 were the hardest for me because the numbness finally all wore off (in church of course when I had only taken Advil). I was splinted for two weeks non-weight bearing and then casted for 3 weeks and allowed to weight bear as tolerated. By the end of the 3 weeks I was walking short distances in my cast and just using the crutches at work and longer. Then I got put in a short boot for 4 weeks (can't wait until the 12th to be out of it). For the surgery I had this is not typical. Yours may be a little bit of a longer recovery with a longer period non-weight bearing.

When was your H&P appointment with the doctor? That would be when you could ask final questions, health history, sign forms (parent sign forms). Every doc is different. He should have already told you the recovery timeline/process and explained the procedure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #3
(female)

foreverxxbxx HB User

Well my last appointment was a week ago and we signed papers and he briefly explained what was going to happen. He said that I would be in a cast for a while and then an aircast and finally physical therapy. I was wondering when would be the soonest i could be practicing agian for swimming and tennis?

Old 02-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
(female)

skyhighifly HB User

Couldn't answer those. Swimming will come sooner because it doesn't require the pounding that tennis does. Some doctors will let you swim once you start PT. Some won't let you start until the ankle is stronger. Tennis is another story. You are going to have to be nearing the end of PT before you get to run and play tennis.

I'm really surprised that the doctor didn't give you an actual timeline, even a general timeline. Mine laid everything out. I knew from the very beginning that I would be two weeks splinted, 3 casted weight bearing as tolerated, and then in a boot going to PT until weeks 8-10. I return next week (wk 9) and expect to be freed from the boot. He said between 12-16 weeks to return to full activity. I knew going into the surgery that this was a 3-4 month trek. Even with the improvements in PT the last 2 weeks, being this is the 3rd ankle surgery I expect to end up closer to the 16 week range.

As an ex-gymnast I can totally relate to wanting to get back to sports. It is so hard to sit back and let your body heal. I've messed up before and returned too soon and paid the price. As hard as it is, listen to your doctor and follow directions. Also, make sure your therapist knows you are physically active and will work with you on getting back to your sports. Some just don't understand the drive of an athlete.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
(female)

foreverxxbxx HB User

Okay thank you so much. I was also really suprised that he didn't give me a timeline either. He was really good about that at my last surgery but i guess he was just busy this time. I'm hopeing that it will be somewhere close to 16 weeks because I'm really getting tired of crutches and casts.

Closed Thread