It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
(female)

nataliep HB User
Overlapping Little Toe

Hi all

I've had overlapping little toes ever since I was born. I've had trouble since I can remember wearing shoes (esp. sandals, strappy heels, flipflops etc) because the top rubs quite a lot. My friends recently said that they knew people who had surgery to correct this. Never met anyone else with overlapping little toes before - is there anyone else out there and have you had surgery? I also must mention I never really have had any feeling in them, I can bend them right back without them hurting and also can't feel anything when I cut my nails on those toes! Gross or what!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
(male)

kjswan77 HB User
Re: Overlapping Little Toe

Hi Nataliep,

I've got overlapping little toes too. Left one overlaps a little bit, the right one a lot more. Other than the occasional stares when I'm in flip flops, I've never had too much problem, but then I'm a guy and our shoes are probably a little more "forgiving."
I will admit that during a self conscious period in high school, I looked into having them fixed. I still remember being told that it would be around $2500 for my left toe and up to $5000 for my right one! And that it may not completely fix the right one since it overlaps more. My parents were supportive and said that if I really wanted the surgery we could do it, or the money could be put towards my first car and towards college. Needless to say, I drove off to college still sporting my overlapping toes! Long story but basically, choose your shoes carefully and embrace the funky toes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
(male)

jeffddick HB User

Hello Natalie, I was also born with an overlaping little toe. I had always thought about getting my toe fixed so I could be like everyone else and go barefoot without embarassment. One surgeon said the surgery would never work and if the toe bothered me I should amputate it. the surgeon who did the surgery for me about 5 years ago said it was a piece of cake. Well, guess what, if I could turn back time I would not have had the surgery. The surgery was not successfull and my toe now hurts most of the time and looks just like it did before surgery. The funny thing is that after I had the surgery and I realized that my little toe was never going to be normal, I started too loosen up about it and not hide it anymore. The funny thing is that I found out that noone hardly notices my deformity. I go barefoot all of the time now and wear flipflops in public every chance I get. Celebrate your unique differences and don't hide them anymore. I hid mine for many years of my childhood and wish I could go back and do things differently. I personally would not reccomend the surgery based on my experience, but you have to decide that for yourself. People put too much emphasis on trying to be perfect. We could of been born with much worse things than overlapping little toes. If you need more info I would be glad to help you.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Since it is bothering you, I would at least check with a sports med ortho who does only feet just to see what he recommends.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
(female)

chocolatedrop HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffddick View Post
Hello Natalie, I was also born with an overlaping little toe. I had always thought about getting my toe fixed so I could be like everyone else and go barefoot without embarassment. One surgeon said the surgery would never work and if the toe bothered me I should amputate it. the surgeon who did the surgery for me about 5 years ago said it was a piece of cake. Well, guess what, if I could turn back time I would not have had the surgery. The surgery was not successfull and my toe now hurts most of the time and looks just like it did before surgery. The funny thing is that after I had the surgery and I realized that my little toe was never going to be normal, I started too loosen up about it and not hide it anymore. The funny thing is that I found out that noone hardly notices my deformity. I go barefoot all of the time now and wear flipflops in public every chance I get. Celebrate your unique differences and don't hide them anymore. I hid mine for many years of my childhood and wish I could go back and do things differently. I personally would not reccomend the surgery based on my experience, but you have to decide that for yourself. People put too much emphasis on trying to be perfect. We could of been born with much worse things than overlapping little toes. If you need more info I would be glad to help you.
I have the problem of overlapping little toes on both my feet. I am so self concious of it, I really do hate the way they look. So at the age of 12 I went to the doctor to see about surgery and he said it wouldn't be advisable to have it because i don't suffer with any pain. However 7 years on and I'm still really self conscious and think about having my toes corrected all the time. Do you have any advice on picking a doctor? And if you're from the UK did you have it done on the NHS or privately? Also, how long was the surgery and the time it took to heal/before you could walk? Sorry to bombard you with questions! Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
(male)

dedos tortos HB User

Olá, também tenho os mindinhos sobrepostos, quase encostam no 3º dedo, nunca me incomodaram. Amo meus pés, acho lindo o minguinho sobreposto. Aceitemos as pequenas imperfeições, abraço.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:02 AM   #7
(male)

Jack D HB User

Hello, i'm 30 now. i have both toes like this, with the left more than the right foot. My mom have it too.
I kept hiding it since my childhood and i'm always embarrassed by it.
I would like to fix them by a surgery.
The worst thing is that my little baby (10 months old) got my left toe the doctor said it's better to fix it when she's 18. But i'm worried about how it'll affect her till then
Any advice??

Old 07-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
(male)

mattsupra HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatedrop View Post
I have the problem of overlapping little toes on both my feet. I am so self concious of it, I really do hate the way they look. So at the age of 12 I went to the doctor to see about surgery and he said it wouldn't be advisable to have it because i don't suffer with any pain. However 7 years on and I'm still really self conscious and think about having my toes corrected all the time. Do you have any advice on picking a doctor? And if you're from the UK did you have it done on the NHS or privately? Also, how long was the surgery and the time it took to heal/before you could walk? Sorry to bombard you with questions! Any help would be greatly appreciated
Hi chocolatedrop, did you find any more info about correcting your toes? I have overlapping little toes on both feet too, and I am based in the UK. Would be so helpful if you could share any info you have discovered about getting them corrected. Mine don't cause any pain, but like you, I can't stand the way they look. My gf is always at me about trying to get them fixed!

Closed Thread