It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
(female)

g024272 HB User
Disadvantages of Knee Walkers

I recently experienced a Jones fracture. As I am a college professor, I decided to rent a knee scooter to assist with the distances. So far so good. However, since I started using it on a regular basis, it seems that the bottom of my foot hurts more. It almost seems like the weight of kneeling is having an effect on my circulation. Just thought I would check to see if anyone has any experience/cautions with regard to using the walker. I go back to the Dr. this week.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
(male)

DPart HB User
Re: Disadvantages of Knee Walkers

Most people love them. I did not, the kneeling was very uncomfortable on my knee and it did cause pain to ankle(injury). The crutches were difficult for the first few weeks, but after that they gave me the most freedom to get out and about. I have heard that using the knee walker can increase the risk of blood clots. I have no idea if it is true. The crutches kept the rest of my body in great shape. I had three surgeries and used crutches for 13 months. I lost wieght while using crutches.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
(female)

LisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB UserLisaBdot HB User
Re: Disadvantages of Knee Walkers

I loved my knee walker. It made my knee hurt, but I'm too klutzy with the crutches. I did ok hopping with a walker, though.

A couple hints for the knee walker:

Get one of those contoured memory foam bed pillows. Put it on the knee walker with the divot cradling your shin. Your weight keeps it on, mostly (I did lose a pillow at Target, once). Not only does it cushion the knee better, it seems to support your leg and ankle better.

Get a small lunch-box-type backpack. Attach it to the handlebars with velcro strapping. You can stuff a lot of stuff in there.

Closed Thread