It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

ankley77 HB User
completely ruptured peroneal brevis - should I get surgery?

Hi everyone.

I'm new here, and just saw the sticky that you're supposed to start your own thread, instead of commenting on others. Sorry!!

I completely ruptured my peroneal brevis tendon in October (4 months ago). In the mean time, I've healed quite nicely, and I'm up to walking, biking, dancing, and just re-introduced running. I'm not hiking or doing field sports yet.

My ortho. surgeon says that this is a major ankle failure, and definitely is a legitimate reason for surgery. He suggests fusing the peroneal tendons together, doing a Brostrom procedure to stabilize the ankle, and possibly using the gracilis tendon for a complete ankle reconstruction, if necessary.

It feels strange to have this major surgery, with the major recovery time needed, when I'm essentially functional, and have generally low pain levels. I'm agonizing over the decision -- will it be good for me in the long run, so I should pay the price now? (especially since I have good insurance and a flexible job now!) Should I avoid the surgery and continue with exercises and strengthening, so I don't have the risks of surgery going wrong?

I don't know which is the "stupider" path.

Any advice? Common experiences? Would love to hear from you!!

Old 02-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
(female)

ankley77 HB User
Re: completely ruptured peroneal brevis - should I get surgery?

Seems some other people on here have had issues with their ankles and peroneal tendons - I was sort of expecting a reply like,

"things were OK before I had surgery, but that really messed it up, and now I'm having multiple surgeries, and I really regret the whole thing. Don't do it!"

But ... maybe that's not the case??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
(female)

ankley77 HB User

Anybody out there?

Advice? Comments? Your story?

Old 02-11-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
(female)

ahodous HB User

Ankley77,

I'm did not totally rupture my tendon but i did have a tear repaired. I also had drilling an microfracture done at the same time. So I can not say all the pain was specifically coming from one place or another. I'm a horseback rider and I didn't have they strength in my leg to use it the correct way because of the tear. Up until about a month ago things had been going very well. Strength was coming back and I was glad I went through the surgery. Lately it has been giving me problems again but I'm not sure if its the ocd or the tendon causing it. Havn't been back to the OS because I have been traveling and hope that with some rest it will quite down.

It seems like since you do have very good insurance and a flexible job now would be a wise time to do it. There is a lot involved with the recovery and rehab an the flexibility would be nice. I decided to go ahead and get mine fix because they were already in there doing other stuff and I also had flexibility with my job for recovery time. I also believe my OS also explained it to me this way. We can put it off but if for some reason the second tendon tears or we are not able to connect them do to more damage to both of them we have more issues to deal with an it would not be simple of a repair. Also if we did it then there was also a potentially better outcome.

I hope this information helps. Good luck in your decision

Closed Thread