It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #1
(male)

jscdrs HB User
Question Ultra running after microfracture and scope?

Hello All,

My story is this: I played lots of soccer when I was younger and in High School. I can remember a few times where I thought I broke my ankle, but as a "tough guy" I only iced it and never went to the doctor. Onto college and into marriage my right ankle never bothered me. I started back into running and did 4 marathons in 1 year, but it was a slow backwards training run that got me. I went to an athlete surgeon and a week ago he did a scope of my ankle to clean bone chips and "junk" out of my ankle, rounded the cartilage and did microfracture.

He told me NWB for 6 weeks but I have no pain, almost full range of motion back and really want to get going. I had my first 40 mile ultra planned for May, but from reading some of these posts I don't think that is possible. (Personal note, I am as homeopathic as possible. No perscription drugs, no smoking, 7.5% body fat and in good shape so I would hope this would be a facture)

Any personal stories on how long I should expect to be off running?

Old 03-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
(male)

jscdrs HB User
Re: Ultra running after microfracture and scope?

Update: I am 5 weeks post op and feel great. I have not had any "real" pain. The swelling went down after 3 days and almost all my joint mobility was back within 2 weeks. I have been riding a stationary bike for the past 2 weeks and am going to run on their auqa treadmill this Thursday.

Hopefully I can get off these crutches. I see my post has gotten a few views but no posts. Anyone else like me or can give any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Hey there,

Okay, I'm right there with you with the no meds, loving to run and exercise and itching to get back into the game. I had a grade 3 sprain of my left ankle in 2006 and 3 weeks later competed in a national karate competition.

I can now say in 2010 that it was stupid.

In 2006 I had my first ankle surgery including the microfracture. It sounds like with microfracture you have an OCD in your ankle. My first dr. didn't let me run for 5 mos. Now, I had other reconstruction ligament and tendons stuff done as well.

At 5 mos I started to run and got back to about 90% of where I was pre-injury. Now, I have to add that I did karate way before 9 mos starting from the moment I was allowed to touch down my foot.

In 2007 the pain had increased dramatically and I was in for surgery #2 and OATS procedure, another ligament reconstruction and tenon repairs as well as another microfracture on a smaller OCD.

At 3 mos my dr. told me it was okay to run, slowly. So I went out and ran about 3 miles or so. I continued to increase milage and times a week I ran. I also was back in karate from the moment I could put my foot down. I even did karate in my boot.

I never healed. And so I had surgery #3 with more microfracture and more repairs of tendons. I made myself wait 5 mos before I could run and did do karate in my boot, taking my 2nd degree black belt test at 3.5 mos post-op.

And, you guessed it, I am headed for surgery #4 and hopefully not a fusion. Also, my dr. said no more running, ever. I tried it at the 5mos mark and the pain is just too great.

So, I guess I'm saying, learn from my mistakes. I believe 5 mos post-op is normal for return to running post-microfracture. 6 weeks NWB is normal too.

I found that my first surgeon who I had some nickname for him being so slow in what I was allowed to do, was correct in that I had a much better recovery. I loved the fact that my 2nd surgeon let me run so much earlier, but I wonder if things would have turned out differently had I waited. He did tell me to stop at one point, but once you are allowed, it's hard to go back.

I'm not sure if you are walking on your ankle yet. At 5 weeks post-op you should not be. I'll tell you this, when you start walking out of a boot and full weight, it is a whole other feeling. I felt great the first weeks too, until I actually started walking about.

Last edited by K_Lana; 03-08-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
(male)

jscdrs HB User

Thank you for your reply, I apprecaite it. Sounds like you are good at Karate (congrats)

I am sorry to hear that you have had so many surgeries. I am doing my best to take your (and others) advise and let my joint heal as long as possible. I hope to have a long running "career" ahead of me.

My Dr. told me I did have a small OCD (not sure on the size). He told me that he was a concervative doctor and he would not push me too quickly.

We will see what happens on Thursday. I would at least like to be walking in my boot.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-12-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #5
(female)

Calrunner HB User

Hi, there,
I'm a fellow ultrarunner and soccer player. I had microfracture/debridement surgery for an OCD in June 2007. I didn't recover from surgery anywhere near as fast as it sounds you are (I was just a week shy of my 40th birthday when I had the surgery), but I was doing some running (30K) again by Nov 2007, 50K in Dec 2007, and 100K in March 2008. In June 2009 I finished Western States for the 2nd time. So, yes, there is life in ultrarunning after microfx! Just don't rush it! You DON'T want to have to take the next step!! If you feel any pain, back off. Listen to your doctor. Be diligent in your PT. (I STILL do my ankle PT, or I run into trouble -- literally!) Good luck!! Hope to hear all about your running exploits soon!

Old 03-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
(male)

jscdrs HB User

Thank you heinselrunner. That gives me a lot of hope. I went to my Dr yesterday and he said the x-rays look great. Apprarently I had a level 3-4 OCD (about 1-1 1/2 in size). So he is having me NWB on crutches for 2 more weeks (7 total) and then straight to full WB.

I did jog on their aqua treadmill for 1/2 mile and then walk for another 1/2 mile. It felt like I was in heaven. Today my ankle felt great but my arch and calf were the only things that were sore (lol).

I am putting off any racing for a few months. I am going to run the Peachtree 10k with my 9 year old at about a sub 10 mile and then my first marathon in October in Chicago and the Goofy 1/2 and full in Florida in Jan.

Thanks again for the help. Keep up the running.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
(male)

jscdrs HB User

Good Morning All,

I am now 6 weeks post op and one more week of NWB. I have a question. This past week my ankle has started "popping" more than the previous 5 weeks. It does not hurt, just pops more.

Anyone else have this? Thanks for your replys.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

K_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB UserK_Lana HB User

Yes, and I was told that it could be scar tissue breaking up by one dr. Mine would pop, especially the first few weeks of trying to walk on it.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:04 AM   #9
(male)

jscdrs HB User

Afternoon All,

I was allowed to get off my crutches to full WB last Friday (5 days ago). I have been feeling great beyond my calf being sore from walking. I am now doing PT to gain my balance back and stregnthen all my muscles.

I can tell I have "worked" my ankle but not really any pain. 0.5 out of 10 if I were to rate it.

I will keep you informed on my progress. I see the Dr on Thursday to see what my next steps are.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sounds like you are doing great!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
(male)

jscdrs HB User

Evening All,

I am now almost 15 weeks post op. I was given the green light to start running again 3 weeks ago. Well, so far it has been an up and down experience. I would not say I have "pain" but more along the lines of discomfort (mostly in the outside of my joint and not in the area of the micro fracture). Out of a scale of 1-10 I would say my discomfort would be a 2.

I have been able to run 3-6 miles one day and then the next it will be sore. I ran my first 5k race last week in 22:14 (well off my normal pace) and I was really sore the next day. I am hoping this will get better. I have my first marathon already paid for in October and I don't want to have to deal with pain for the entire marathon.

I will update again later.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #12
(male)

TDIPatriot HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscdrs View Post
Evening All,

I am now almost 15 weeks post op. I was given the green light to start running again 3 weeks ago. Well, so far it has been an up and down experience. I would not say I have "pain" but more along the lines of discomfort (mostly in the outside of my joint and not in the area of the micro fracture). Out of a scale of 1-10 I would say my discomfort would be a 2.

I have been able to run 3-6 miles one day and then the next it will be sore. I ran my first 5k race last week in 22:14 (well off my normal pace) and I was really sore the next day. I am hoping this will get better. I have my first marathon already paid for in October and I don't want to have to deal with pain for the entire marathon.

I will update again later.
Just wonder how things are going a few months later? I am post-op day 3 for debridement of my talus/microfracture and I'm looking for some good news! Hope all is well.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
(male)

johnd304 HB Userjohnd304 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscdrs View Post
Good Morning All,

I am now 6 weeks post op and one more week of NWB. I have a question. This past week my ankle has started "popping" more than the previous 5 weeks. It does not hurt, just pops more.

Anyone else have this? Thanks for your replys.
I had flatfoot reconstruction on July 28, from the 4wk-6wk mark I was in a boot, and my ankle popped a lot. It didn't hurt, though I waited for pain as it scared me, but I was told not to be alarmed.

I'm a runner also, long distance, not quite ultra though lol. I was up to 60mi a week, with doing 2 runs several days a week. My Dr. tells me that I'll be able to start back in the Spring. I just hope I can get to the level I was on prior to surgery, the goal is to make the pain much much less and slow down my arthritis.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #14
(female)

CC5krunner HB User

I'm wondering how "jscdrs" is doing now? I am a runner and will be having microfracture this April. I am so nervous and hopeful that I will be able to start running again. It's been almost a year since my initial ankle injury and I miss it so much.
So, if anybody else has already had the microfracture, could you please report on how well you are all doing??

Old 02-11-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
(male)

jscdrs HB User

Evening everyone.

It has been a bit since my last post. Well, I have good news. I am almost a year post op and I can say it has been a success. I ran my first 10 k in July (5 months post op) and since that point I have run 2 half marathons and 3 full marathons (I did the Goofy in there. A 1/2 on Sat and full on Sunday) I have another marathon next weekend, one in March and my 50 mile ultra in May.

I can tell you my ankle cracks louder now (when it does pop) but the DR said that was normal and to be expected. I take Osteo-biflex, calcium and fish oil to try and help with the joint. I also ice after long runs and do my stretching exercises every few days.

I can tell I is not as strong as my other ankle and feels "weird" every so often, by then I roll it around and it is fine.

Hope this helps everyone to keep your hope up.

The Following User Says Thank You to jscdrs For This Useful Post:
CC5krunner (02-15-2011)
Closed Thread