It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
(male)

BBW1 HB User
Angry Should I amputate my foot?

I shattered my left talus in February of 09 over jumping my dirt bike. Completely smashed it in about 20 plus pieces but thankfully it was able to be screwed back together with 6 screws. I had 3 months in a wheel chair, and low weight barring for 2 months. Since then I have regained all of my motion but it is imposable to walk on it without an anti-inflammatory even then it has severe arthritis. My main concern is the level of nerve pain since the accident it has been nonstop 24/7 h***. My toes and bottom of my foot around the toes and side are on fire and also feels cramped like I kicked a door. I have had periods in which I worked long hours using pain killers but once they ran out 5 months ago I wanted to go without them. I found out itís basically imposable to walk for more than 30 minutes without a 45 minute brake itís literally debilitating. But the worst part is that it has only gotten worse in the last 2 1/2 months the pain has spiked to an all time high. Just sitting is driving me crazy my sleep patterns have changed to the point where I had to either take Nyquil every night or go back on pain killers. I arranged a cat scan because the outside tendon keeps slipping over the bone and while awaiting the results I asked my doctor for some pain killers to get me threw the month.

From what I understand nerves regenerate at 1 millimeter a day but even at that rate it should have healed over 4 months ago or started to get better. Iím only 21 and very healthy and active before the accident and have kept up on my health ever since. And after a year whatever you have is what you get for life. For example I broke my jaw 6 years ago and I still have numbness around my lower lip.

I now face the most difficult decision I have ever made because it seems like my only choice is to amputate.

Iím not afraid of having a prostatic because I can still ride motocross, but if there is a chance I can reach any level of reduction on the pain than I feel itís worth it.

I would like to know if anyone has a similar storey or has had extenuated pain after shattering the talus or lower ankle?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

sarahberra HB User
Re: Should I amputate my foot

Talk to your doctor. If I were you I would try to keep my foot at all cost. Only choose amputation as a last resort.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Should I amputate my foot?

I shattered my calcaneous and talus. I have heard it can take a year to 1.5 to recover. I am at 11 months. My pain isn't as bad as yours, but I have bad days. I would wait longer before doing anything you can not undo.

Last edited by Zerk; 02-11-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User

You should be upfront with your doctor about your level of pain. Any good surgeon with a patient that has had the extensive work you have had on your foot should refer you to a good pain management doctor. It can drastically improve your quality of life. Sometimes it does happen that you are as good as you can be but I would seek a second opnion on your situation. If it is as good as it can be you can have a full productive life on pain management. A good pain management doc will work to get you to a satisfactory level of pain relief without over sedating you.

I have had three foot surgeries since 2005 and also have nerve damage. My life has drastically improved since being placed in pain management. I still have some bad days but more good than bad and there is hardly anything I can't do within reason.

Hang in there. I know it is frustrating and pain can affect every aspect of your life. But you are young and have a long life ahead of you and you shouldn't have to live it in pain when there are alternatives out there. Be your own advocate and don't take no for an answer. Make sure there are no other surgery options for you first.

Best of luck to you.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

I had an ankle fusion in 2006. It took about 2 years to get to full recovery. The nerve pain took at least that long to calm down.

I definitely understand why you would want to consider amputation. Chronic pain is extremely frustrating and debilitating. The thought has crossed my mind numerous times.

You've had a traumatic injury - it will take a long time to heal, but please be patient and give it a chance to be as good as it can be before making the decision to amputate.

Keep postng!

Step

Old 02-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
(female)

fluffy999 HB User

I can't begin to imagine how you feel.
All I can say is based on my own medical issues with my ankles I have sometimes wished my feet had been amputated so I didn't have to feel the torturous pain. But when I hear someone who feels it geuinely is an option my heart goes out to them.

I guess I just wanted to say that I wish you all the best and that you get the problem sorted without having to opt for amputation.

Best wishes to you.

Fluffy. x

Old 02-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
(female)

bigskybluewater HB User

hi, have you considered looking into any natural remedies? I have not had as extensive injuries but did some years ago hyper extend my ankle, touching my shin and pulled everything in between. doctors would have prefered it had broken. i have had other chronic pain from injuries over the past 15-20 yrs. and i currently am off of all heavy meds which i felt ran my life. i use therapuetic magnets for pain mngmnt. currently with great results. can also use even a refigerator or car magnet- i place them where ever the pain is and wrap an ace bandage to hold it if need be, you could stuff it into a sock, wrapping it around the ankle. for restless leg syndrome i have been taking an amino acid i get from the health food store called alpha lipoic acid. i take it 2x a day and got relief by the 7th day, its been about 8 wks now. i feel this could have a posative impact on your nerve pain. i think it could quiet them. i am using 5HTP and melatonin for sleep. you need to be able to sleep to repair yourself. i would also suggest a pycogenol-this is not only a strong natural anti-inflammatory but great for your immune system. hope it will help.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: mispelled words and add-on info.

Closed Thread