It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
(male)

cosmopolite23 HB User
Minor Foot Surgery - Pain & Questions

I just had minor foot surgery yesterday. I had a small wound on the bottom of my foot that would continually heal and then get aggravated. (Stepped on glass a while ago) The podiatrist saw it and told me that the best thing would be to remove the area since glass doesn't always show up on an xray.

Yesterday I had it removed, and I was told that the worst part (The numbing of the foot which was extremely painful) was over... however today I woke up with a lot of pain on the area where the stitches were put in. I have been told to keep the dressing on for at least 10 days before changing it... and it seemed that the podiatrist didn't have a huge concern about me walking on it. He did tell me to keep off of it as much as possible.. but as I sit here now I'm wondering if I should be on crutches?? (They did give me a post-op shoe.) I can't use my heel right now... too painful but I can slowly walk using my left foot and front end of my right.

Has anyone gone through this? How long will this be painful for.. and should I be using a cane or crutches rather than even using the top of my foot to walk?

Thanks

Old 02-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
(female)

fluffy999 HB User
Re: Minor Foot Surgery - Pain & Questions

Hi there.

Tricky. Traditionally health professionals will want you to weight bear asap in most cases based on my own experiences. This is ususally good for you and aides recovery as it stops you seizing up and needing so much recovery time, physio etc.

But I'd say if you're concerned and in pain - and let's face it, no one can judge how much pain you're in but yourself but you - call your Doctors office and explain the problem.
I have severe ankle tendon problems and when I first noticed the pain some years ago I had an x-ray at the hospital. As there was no sign of a break I was sent on my way with no walking aid or pain relief. Big mistake.

Point being - if in doubt, speak up. Better to say something and be overcautious than suffer in silence.
No one will give you a hard time for saying you're unsure. However, your Doctor is likely to ask you why you didn't say anything sooner if you still feel this sore in a few weeks time.

Good luck. Hope you're on the mend soon.

Fluffy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread