It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User
Unhappy mortons neuroma surgery

Hi, I am new to this, but I really need some advice. I had mortons neuroma surgery between my second and third toes. My pod went in through the top, after surgery he said I had the largest neuroma he had ever seen. I had my surgery dec. 30 2009. It has been 7 weeks. I still can not put any wieght on the ball of my foot. It feels like there is a ball in there and it hurts worse than the original neuroma only lower down on my foot. I can not put my bare foot on the floor at all, like to shower it turns deep red almost purple, swells horribly and it hurts ,also it send pins and needles feeling clear up my leg to my hip. I still can not bend or flex any of my toes on this foot. My pod says this is all normal, I am not sure it is I am a little scared that something else my be going on. Has anyone else had any experiences like this continuing for so long after surgery?
Any advice please verging on desperate
kelly

The Following User Says Thank You to kelly4004 For This Useful Post:
Mema65 (09-27-2011)
Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: mortons neuroma surgery

I am sorry for your situation. This is not normal. I had one removed 8 years ago. I was walking on it from the start (though, it did hurt trying to dissipate all the swelling for the first 7-10 days). Yes, you should have some tingling, etc as full recovery is about 12 months and it is not linear - that is, it will be better one day and worse the next. But pains shooting up your leg, not being able to bend your toes...these things should not be happening. I would get a second opinion from a sports med ortho who does only feet. You could call the Bucs and see who they use. Let us know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB Userkelly4004 HB User

Thank you for your response. I have been reading some of the other threads on mortons neuromaa surgery, they have been very helpful. I have an appt with my pod this monday, and now I feel like I am armed with some knowledge to ask better questions. If he still tells me everything is normal I ill take your advice and seek a second opinion. The pain is really bad, and he keeps prescribing vicodin, but the side effects are not worth it considering I dont get much relief from taking it. Will update after drs. appt Thank-you

Old 02-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

well went to my pod appt today. He is still telling me everything is normal,then he said it's only been a month, your foot is right were it should be. I reminded him it has been 8weeks. Still he said I had to cut really deep, and it was a very large neuroma , the size of a lima bean. He then told me to start wearing my tennis shoes, I said I would love to but my foot does'nt fit into it. But still everything is normal? He asked me if I need more vicodin,No I only took 12 out of the script of 60 you gave 2 weeks ago. I feel like I am being given the run around. I will call my family physician and have her look at it and refer me to a good ortho.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sorry you are having this issue. Once my sutures were out - at 2 weeks - I was wearing a pair of Merrell clog type shoes with no problems. The size of the neuroma really should not matter much as it is now gone and you should not be having much swelling 8 weeks out. Now I will say that receovery can be a year or more for full total never have any issues type recovery - as told by my surgeon and it was what happened to me. It would be better for a few days and then not so much and back and forth like that. But by 8 weeks I was not in "pain" and could wear regular - although comfy - shoes. I probably started wearing flats and low heels about 10 weeks or so....just carried the Merrells in case I needed them but never did.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Went to my primary care dr today. She says that something is definately wrong!
I should'nt be i this much pain and I should be able to bend and flex my toes.
She told me to go back to my podiatrist (she said another podiatrist would'nt touch me right now because there is obviously something wrong) and tell him again and push for some answers. She also said that she believes this pain and innability to bend my toes is due to nerve damage, possibly from a tourniquet used during surgery. So she called a neurologist and set up an appt. for me next week. She also thinks I should not be back at work, my job requires me to stand 9-10 hrs a day and wants me to go back out on short term disability. I am very discouraged and getting very stressed. short term disability means I only get half my pay and I only have 7 weeks left. Dont know what to do. regretting having surgery. I wish my podiatrist would have told me of the possibility of any complications, he made it seem like this procedure was a walk in the park and I would be good as new in three weeks. At a loss.
Kelly

Old 03-01-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Am so sorry. I'd find a good sports med ortho who does only feet. Where are you located? Maybe we can offer some suggestions.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

I am in Brandon, Fl 15 min from tampa, I saw a piece on our local news featuring a Dr Katz who is doing cryosurgery for morton's neuroma with very high sucess he actually has quit doing dorsa or plantar surgeries because of all the complications that can occur. It freezes the nerve over a series of ultra sound guided injections it also works for stump neuromas. I only wish this segment had aired before y surgery. I have gone back to my Podiatrist and told him what my primary care instructed me to do. This caught his attention rather quickly and he has started me on prednisone for the swelling. I do have an appt. with a neurologist that my primary care set up for me.
My podiatrist took me back out of work so now I am once again on medical leave with half pay. But I guess it could be worse and i could be out of work with no pay. I tell you that silver lining is getting smaller and smaller.
kelly

Old 03-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Perhaps you could call the Bucs front office and find out who they use for feet? or if you have a professional dance group there, find otu who they use? Sorry I don't have any better ideas for you.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:35 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Any Ideas are better ideas, I am open to any suggestions right now. Thank-you!!

Kelly

Old 04-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
(female)

pchalupa HB User

I'm interested in how you are doing now? I too am having problems after foot surgery. I have had a second opinion and am being sent to a pain doctor. My first doctor said my foot is still healing and give it some time. The second opinon doctor said I might have CRPS which is a very scary bad complication after various surgeries, injuries etc. I will find out from the pain doctor what she thinks.
If I knew then what I know now.....I wouldn't have had the surgery.
Anyone out there finally better after this surgery????? How long did it take???/

Old 04-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

hi pchalupa

Well I was diagnosed after the mn surgery first with peripheral neuropathy, but now diagnosed with rsd/crps doing physical therapy for that now. what are your symptoms? why does the doc suspect crps? My toes dont bend and my foot temp is much colder than other foot and it changes purple and blue colors, also the pain to normal touch is so intense really out of proportion to the stimulus. And then there's the stabbing pain and the pain that feels like my skin is ripping apart.ugghh, if you do have crps you need to start physical therapy for it right away.
This whole process can be sooo aggrivating.
wishing you pain free days and nights
Kelly

Old 04-23-2010, 08:37 AM   #13
(female)

footpainqueen HB User

Kelly,
I have the same issue. I had Mortons surgery in both the top and bottom of my foot 4 weeks ago. I have terrible pain in my big toe and it runs down the arch of my foot. I have had many pain injections with no success. I am also very afraid. I can't walk on my foot and use cruches. Sometimes my foot swells and turns very red. I feel like I have no life and my family is very frustrated as well. My doctor says it will take time but will make no commitment on the future use of this foot. I will be going for pain theropy soon but I don't hold out much hope.
Kate

Old 04-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

It is unusual for them to have gone in from top and bottom. Why was that done? And since you had a plantar incision, that's NWB for at least 3 weeks or more. It's pretty painful. Have you had your sutures removed and been told to walk on it? It will be sore for quite some time. Am sure you know that full recovery can take more than a year.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Why did they go in through the top and bottom at the same time? was there more than one neuroma? My surgery was done through the top. But I here the plantar approach takes much longer to heal. I had my stitches for three weeks. I never really healed normally I ended up with rsd. So as far as normal healing I am not sure But tichou says she had a succesful mn surgery. But I dont think they went through top and bottom on her, I havent seen any discussion where someone has had it done like that. So I can only imagine your healing time might be much longer. I cant bend any of my toes, but this is from the rsd not the surgery, if your concerned about rsd ask your doctor dont be afraid to express your concerns!! Like you My foot turned real red at first (but again I think that is normal for the surgery) Now my foot turns purple and blue sometimes pink, and it is much colder that my other foot and the pain is alway there every day 24 hrs a day the only thing that changes is the severity of the pain.
Try not to worry you had a heck of a surgery so It may take you a while, I am sorry for the pain you are going through hopefully pain therapy will help you, I go to a pain management dr in two weeks to discuss a sympathetic nerve block.
good luck
kelly

Closed Thread