It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

Trixie1966 HB User
Question about outward signs of fracture healing

I am currently five weeks post op for a severely shattered first metatarsal. The surgeon said he used bone cement to graft where my original bone had been turned to "sand." I have an ex-fix that secures the displaced bone with four rods. Since week three I have been using a bone growth stimulator and have also been keeping up a good nutrition plan. At two and a half weeks I had an x Ray which showed no progress but by three and a half weeks the surgeon could feel slight hardening of the break area. By four and a half weeks he said the bone felt harder than the previous check. I am getting X rays on Tuesday at the five and a half week mark but my question is could the surgeon have felt bone growth and hardening without the bone really healing from the inside out? In other words, could a surgeon feel bone growth from the outside when all the while there is inadequate growth through and through. I don't want to get my hopes up but am praying that the bone has improved enough to begin PWB at the five in a half week mark. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Closed Thread