It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
(female)

Trixie1966 HB User
Concern over my x ray - non union??

Today I had my 5 week post op x rays to see how healing of my first metatarsal fracture is coming along. In the past two weeks my surgeon has happily noted that the bone is clearly hardening and so I have been optimistic about the recovery. However, the x rays show that the fractured bone has yet to join together. Certainly there should be proof of a union if the surgeon can feel a hardening of the bone externally. I will see him in the morning but can't stop my thoughts tonight - can anyone comment on whether bone that is just developing should be visible via x ray? There is definitely a cloudier, more grey in color look to the area between the two bone segments but I can also see that they have yet to connect up. Anyone with anything concerning x rays please jump in. Thanks!

Old 02-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Janesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB UserJanesfoot HB User
Re: Concern over my x ray - non union??

Look up my posts from 2008. I had bunion and tailor's bunion surgery on my right foot, with osteotomies and pins for either side. At two and a half months post-op I went to my pcp because I had a slight bone spur, right under the skin. He ordered x-rays and then told me I had a bigger problem, that my fifth metatarsal was still broken. It sure looked like it on the x-ray and I was beside myself. I flew off the next day to my 30th High School reunion, but my pcp contacted my pod, who called me and said the x-ray looked on target, and that the bone was mending, Oy! The bone did mend, but I think it can take a few months. I was walking two miles a day then, and he told me to wait until I was 4 months post-op. I'm doing great now, and will be having the same procedure done on my other foot in another year or so (combined with a cheilectomy due to arthritis in the big toe joint). Hang in there and don't despair. Keep elevating when needed and don't over do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

I had my big toe joint fused on Oct 28th. My six week x-ray on Dec 7th showed no sign of boney fusion. I had another x-ray about a month later and there were possible signs of a bone infection. UGH! I had a bone scan and that said that in the absence of redness and heat, etc, it was likely healing. I had another x-ray in early February. Now it is showing that it is healing.

Apparently patience is paramount in these things. Don't give up yet. It is still early.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

My surgeon said he doesn't expect to see bones forming a union until at least 6 weeks post-op. And that's what he's seen on both of my feet. So, be patient!

Old 02-26-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
(female)

Trixie1966 HB User

Thanks for the kind replies. My Dr said he sees improvement but wants me 100% NWB for another four weeks. I was a little shocked as the written report inside the x ray envelope indicated no union and no progress since my x ray three weeeks ago. My Dr said quite often he sees improvement when the x ray Dr sees none. I will be reevaluated at 9 weeks to see if walking will be a go then and it seemed to me that this is where the Dr thought I would begin walking anyway. The great news is he now reckons I will have a 100% recovery due to the healing seen at 5 1/2 weeks - hopefully this continues.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User

That's great news on the healing and 100% recovery expected, Trixie!

Last edited by jane806; 02-26-2010 at 09:16 PM.

Closed Thread