It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
(male)

Edubfreestyle HB User
Fractured Calcaneus Questions

Hello,

I recently fractured my calcaneus and stumbled upon this site and figured I'd ask a few questions regarding my condition. Seems like a knowledgeable site so Im pretty excited. I had a single fracture that required 2 screws. It was from a side impact not a fall so the doc has told me it's a different style of injury. It has been 6 1/2 weeks since surgery and I have recently started light weightbearing. I had some xrays done last week and the doc says the bone seems to look like it's healed.

I have been light weightbearing using cruthes for about a week now and my foot feels really numb. Don't really have a whle lot of feeling on the bottom of my foot so it feels extremely weird in a shoe. I have full motion in my toes and almost full motion in my ankle as well. Is this numbness normal? How long does it take to go away? I ride motorcycles professionally for a living so Im losing my mind and a little worried at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-25-2010, 04:53 AM   #2
(male)

Toyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB User
Re: Fractured Calcaneus Questions

I am at 10 weeks with no surgery, was cleared at 6 weeks for PWB and just cleared for FWB. My heel was numb at the 6 week mark, feeling came back slowly as I started to WB. I am now using one crutch to walk (not very well) and still have reduced feeling in the injured heel but it continues to improve. If you have access to a pool ask the OS if you could walk in water up to the middle of your chest (incision needs to be healed), worked well for me, also doing the alphabet in the air about 10 times a day with the injured foot really helped to get ROM in the ankle and STJ. I ride . Good Luck

Last edited by Toyman57; 02-25-2010 at 05:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2010, 05:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I still have small spot on my foot kinda numb and almost a year. The rest of it cam back in few months. Sensitivity is also an issue. Just because it hasn't been used. Massaging your foot can help.

Range of motion will be more of an issue. I fractured my right side. I started out riding bikes with floor baords. I hd trouble with the brakes on bikes with pegs. maybe could have adjsted the brake up higher. This weekend, was at the Chicago bike show, sat on some bikes with pegs and seemed ok. Have I lost some feeling?? Dunno.

I am still looking for a boot to wear. My achilles is weak and foot wider. I fractured mine pretty bad though.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
(male)

Edubfreestyle HB User

Thank you for the info. I appreciate it. Now I can sleep better at night.

I'm waiting for the wound to heal so I can start swimming. Right now after a week of light weightbearing on my toes my entire foot is still really numb and tingly. I'm hoping the feeling comes back the more I use it. I had 2 screws put in and hopefully they won't give me too much pain. My range of motion is near 100% but for some reason my foot is still really numb. I may have had nerve damage and artery damage so it may be slow coming back. The heel itself is still really tender. I've been working it out little by little but it been frustrating seeing little results. This Saturday will have been 7 weeks and I hope to be back on the motorcycle for a competition in 4 weeks. This injury is brutal lol.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I didn't have surgery it was to swolllen and blistered, once it healed up a little they decided to wait and see. Its possible it could be fused someday. I was non weight bearing for 12 weeks. Maybe due to the injurty maybe because the femur was broke on the other side, so no good side.

Once I started weight bearing at twelve weeks, things changed dramatically almost week to week. By 6 months I was not to bad. I am close to a year. I think the last month the pain has gone down alot. As long as I don't do alot of walking, I don't take anything. 4 hours at the bike show was awful by the time I left though.

Do the physically therapy, probably the most important thing.

From what I hear 12-18 months healing time, to get as good your going to get.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
(female)

cantbetaller HB User

I suffered a broken calcaneus back in December 2005 from a car accident. I had surgery a few weeks later and had a plate and four screws put into my right foot. After surgery I was in a cast for seven weeks with no weight bearing. After the doctor took my stitches out I did not have to wear a special walking boot and I didn't go through physical therapy. The doctor basically told me to begin putting weight on the foot again. Things are okay now, but I do notice that my foot is not as flexible as it used to be, particularly when it comes to trying to turn my foot from side to side. I also notice that when I have been sitting for a little while and then get up and start walking my foot is kind of stiff and i limp a little. Sometimes i even get a really sharp pain in my foot. If I'm on my foot for more than 7 hours then my foot swells and starts to hurt. I have also noticed that it is harder to spread my toes on my right foot. Does everyone who has suffered this injury experience the same type of thing?

Last edited by cantbetaller; 07-17-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

The screws and the injury will limit motion. Why did you not do physically therapy? To me, its one of,or most important things for recovery. Attitude probably top on the list.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
(female)

cantbetaller HB User

The doctor never told me that i should have physical therapy. I guess it depends on the doctor that u have, I'm not sure. I was told that this doctor specialized in the treatment of broken calcaneus though, so I guess he made the best judgement.

Last edited by cantbetaller; 07-19-2010 at 10:04 PM.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #9
(female)

desross4 HB User

Dear cantbetaller:
I've experienced the same long term issues as you. My rt calc break was in 2/09. I had a subtalar fusion 8 wks later - 2 screws thru my heel into joint with a tibia graft to replace lost bone. I was NWBing for 15 wks & then another 5 weeks to full WBing. I started PT at that time. It really helped work out the foot and gain as much range of motion as possible. I still lost both inversion & eversion ROM & some plantar flexion ROM too. My foot was still somewhat numb on rt side and I also can't spread my toes. I think it's to be expected to lose some ROM, have pain after sitting & swelling after prolonged standing.

Just had a revision of my fusion June 23rd and have another 2-4 weeks NWBing. Hoping rehab will be shorter this time. I was pronating severely and having more outside ankle swelling than before. A CT scan revealed the fusion didn't work 1st time. Good news is that the heel was good & strong.
Desross4

Old 07-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
(female)

cantbetaller HB User

Thanks for the info Desross4. Sorry to hear that the first time the fusion didn't work. Hope the second one is successfull. I hope things get better for you.

Closed Thread