It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

marywallin HB User
Pending Surgery

Hi - I'm new to the board and would like some wisdom and tips. I am scheduled for a sliding calcaneal osteomy on my left foot. I'm waiting until July so at least I can have good weather to sit outside, and my husband home (he's a teacher).

I am excited/nervous. I was born with flat feet , 45 years ago when there wasn't much attention paid to that. I've sprained my ankles several times each, get flare-ups of plantar faciitis and my ankles constantly ache. I've had orthotics several years, but it's just not enough anymore.

My questions:

*What can I do to prepare myself for surgery? I'm trying to balance staying in shape with not stressing my feet, so I am cycling and doing weight lifting only on machines where I don't put on pressure (leg extensions and curls). What else could I do?
* Reading these forums, it seems everyone has some tendon transfer or other procedure in addition to the c.o. My doctor says I don't need that. Why wouldn't I?
*The doc also says the 75% of the time when he does one foot, it compensates enough so that he doesn't have to do the other. I went for a second opinion; this doc agreed with the surgery, but said that I would definitely have to have both done. What's been others' experience?
*I have to work and am looking at 8 weeks off w/ full pay after that it's just disability - is it realistic to think I could go back after 8 weeks? I'm a social worker, I suppose I could use a knee walker in the office.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Pending Surgery

I haven't had surgery, but was in a wheel chair after shattering my heel and breaking leg. Exercise and keeping weight off is probably one of the best things you can do. Keeping the good leg strong will help too.

You may want to consider a wheel chair for around the house. It is easier and you can carry stuff. If so you may want to take doors off the house. Since your husband will be there, you can worry about that later.

Last year I spent alot of time on the patio. Wireless router and laptop was nice.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User
Re: Pending Surgery

Hi Marywallin,
I had the Evans procedure, gastroc lengthening, and accessory navicular removed on my left foot 3 weeks ago. I thought the pain was going to be the worst part but I was wrong. After 8 or 9 days on percocet the pain was very tolerable and now I take 1 tramadol at bedtime to sleep and I ice and elevate a lot. I think the hardest part has been the relationship strain. My husband is a good man and a very hard worker but I am learning that he is not a nurturer and I feel that I need so much of that now. It is very hard to be dependent on everyone for everything. Little things like refilling the water by the bed, clearing the dirty dishes, getting me clean underwear and a towel. It has been a real challenge and I am trying hard to get over my frustrations. It is hard to sit or lay for so long with books or TV. I just started back at the computer which is nice but having my foot down makes it swell and hurt and there is no way to prop it up at my desk without hurting my back. At the rate I am progressing I would think that would be fine back at work in 8 weeks. I have a knee scooter and crutches and use both. when I know my foot will be down for a length of time I but an ice pack under my foot in my removable boot then strap the boot back on. It feels so good. Eventhough I am not very happy right now, I am very happy that I did the surgery. My foot looks good and it has an arch. I'll have to do the other one eventually. Good luck and keep us all posted. As added info I have two sons , 11 and 16, and to prepare for the surgery I was doing Wii fit for a month beforehand. Try to stregthen your core so that crutching around won't be too hard and you can handle dragging a heavy cast/ boot around for many weeks.

Closed Thread