It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Long term pain meds for calcaneous

Wondering what people are doing long term, for pain meds, for shattered calcaneous. Family doc, wants to start me on daily pain meds, for chronic nerve damage. Lyrcria. Its not so much the heel as it is the ankle area probably subtalar joint.

I don’t want to take daily meds. I am fine as long as I don’t do a lot. Last week I walked for 4 hours and it was awful. Maybe daily meds would even it out before it gets bad. Celebrex doesn’t seem to help the bad days.

Shattered my calcaneous and talus 3/09, no surgery. See the ortho next maybe talk to him or pain clininc.

Last edited by Zerk; 02-26-2010 at 06:17 AM.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #2
(male)

movado HB User
Re: Long term pain meds for calcaneous

[QUOTE=Zerk;4193345]Wondering what people are doing long term, for pain meds, for shattered calcaneous. Family doc, wants to start me on daily pain meds, for chronic nerve damage. Lyrcria. Its not so much the heel as it is the ankle area probably subtalar joint.

I donít want to take daily meds. I am fine as long as I donít do a lot. Last week I walked for 4 hours and it was awful. Maybe daily meds would even it out before it gets bad. Celebrex doesnít seem to help the bad days.

Shattered my calcaneous and talus 3/09, no surgery. See the ortho next maybe talk to him or pain clininc.[/QUOTE]

I shattered both my heels really bad in a skiing accident just over two years ago.

I took vicodin for about a 1.5 years and it helped alot when I would get home from work. I have to walk alot for my job.

Sometimes I will take one if the pain is really bad and I want some relief, but I have to stay off them so I can have both my sub-talar joint fuse this July.

But long term I just don't think taking meds on a daily basis is good for anyone, just my opinion...

I'm only 35 and have a long road ahead of so i'm trying to hold off on the daily med taking thing...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
(female)

dhill2020 HB User

Well if you feel that you don't need pain meds, that is totally up to you. A doctor only makes suggestions for dealing with pain. Its important that you don't let pain get bad before you treat it. Lyrica is a good long term, but if you don't need it don't take it. Now dealing with things like high blood pressure is different, then for sure listen to your docs recommendations! Good luck and God bless

Old 02-26-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I don't need pain meds every day. I was thinking just take something on bad days. But maybe the idea is to never let it get bad. I am 35, and don't want to be taking pills my whole life, but I may have to face facts about this someday.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

About a month ago I started taking pain meds. I fought it for awhile. Some what because I don't want to take them the rest of my life, some just to be stuborn.

I have gained alot of my life after work back, and betters days at work.

I am taking 1-2 Tramadol, a day, few times a week. Low grade pain med. Voltaren, anti inflamatory, which I have been taking for months, 1-3 a week.

The Tramadol really helps. Doc has me taking it with tylenol, they work well together. I don't like taking meds, but I am doing so much more these days. Part of it is, I am working on home projects that I am excited about to, so I don't mind the pain, and its motivating me to get up.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

The one bad side effect, is the more you do, the worse you feel the next day, and then need meds again.

So even though I am excited about some home projects, I take a day off to go for bike ride or take it easy, which is good too.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

Hi Zerk,

I struggle with this issue as well. It seems like a trade off - if I want to do extensive amounts of walking or spend a lot of time on my feet the meds are necessary. Unfortunately, the meds all seem to have one side effect or another to deal with but I am lucky to be able to take just about anything without suffering too much.

Are you taking any NSAIDs? I was taking Celebrex before my surgery - it worked pretty well. I don't like taking something every day but the reality is i might have to. The anti inflammatory meds are most effective if you keep a constant level in your blood, so they are best used every day. If your current regimen ever stops working you may want to give it a try.

Best of luck with the house projects!!

Step

Old 10-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

[QUOTE=stepbystep89;4611011]

Are you taking any NSAIDs? I was taking Celebrex before my surgery - it worked pretty well.

Step[/QUOTE]

I am taking a generic of Voltaren, which is NSAID. I took Celebrex for awhile too. I think the Voltaren may be better.

I have heard you should keep a constant level, but I haven't been. I take it at breakfast, if I know I am going to have a big day.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
(female)

Martine75 HB User

Hi Zerk,
Just wanted to say thankyou for all the advice you have given me, it's helped alot. With regards to Tramadol jeez I wouldn't go near the stuff again the withdrawals are horrific, my doctor gave me Solpadol instead as Tramadol made me so ill, they are really good and work well, well worth a try hope this helps

Old 10-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

What side effects did you have?

When I first started taking it would pick me up a bit, kinda liked it, but if I took it late at night, I had trouble sleeping. Other then that not much. I don't take them regular though, I did for a week or so.

I have had some constipation.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
(male)

johnd304 HB Userjohnd304 HB User

Dunno about the pain, but the constipation part happened when I was on percocet after surgery. Got something at Rite-Aid, starts with a "C" or something. Helped a pantload...

Last edited by johnd304; 10-27-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:14 AM   #12
(female)

Martine75 HB User

Hi zerk, I had constipation while on tramadol but when I came off the withdrawal symtoms were awful I was getting shakes, shivers, diarrhea, nausea, felt like I had the flu, night sweats, nightmares, feeling hungry all the time yet feeling sick when I ate, headaches, restless legs, numbness in arms and fingers when waking, using the bathroom about 20 times a day, brain wouldn't switch off when I was going to sleep & that was only after taking 2 4 times daily for 4 wks, with me withdrawals lasted 2 weeks I wasn't told of these side effects but the doctor seemed to know about them and recommended I come of them straight away and switched me to solpadol which I find are good for the pain after walking alot, when I was getting the withdrawal symtoms I googled tramadol withdrawal and was amazed that there are so many sites where people are getting the same symptoms hope this helps

Old 10-27-2010, 04:29 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

No problems for me, but they had you taking alot more then me. I have taken one or two pills a day, you were taking 8.

I don't take them late in the day, due to the sleeplessness. Like I said at first they gave me a nice pick me up during the day, but not so much any more.

Thanks for replying. I will watch out for these, and talk to the doc next time I am in.

If its not one thing its another.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 AM   #14
(female)

Martine75 HB User

I hear ya we all need a break preferably not of the calcaneus kind lol, hope things get better for you, besides the boredom & just having to cope I never thought this would be so much of a nightmare. Just had an update on my 12wks & still no physio yet found I have been referred to a podiatrist have no idea what they do lol but it's a start

Old 10-27-2010, 08:40 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

I started physicaL therapy around 6 for ROM. People from the UK don't seem to do it as much. I have heard its hard to find therapist. I don't know if money thing or philosphy. Do they want it to heal first?

I am glad I didn't wait. at 12 weeks I already had alot of ROM, well as much as I will ever have.

Its not that I need a break, I am finding a way to live my life. This is a life changing event.

Closed Thread