It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #1
(male)

Axemytoe HB User
I need shoe finding help please!

I have toe region pain and what I might have medically wrong with me is still up in the air for now. Possibilities range from Hallux Rigidus, flat feet to Gout.
Either way I need to buy some shoes that I can use for general everyday use and gym work as all my current shoes have become unusable.. Outdoor Trail running type of shoes with stiff soul would be ideal. Not interested in smart shoes. Doc said I should buy trekking shoes. Well most of them are like tanks and not ideal for my feet.

The problem I am facing is that my feet are wide. Add to that Clyde's XI Blade for toe region stiffness + orthopaedic shoe insert for flat feet + swelling once in a while and I am in shoe buying hell

New Balance does wide feet shoes but no dealer in my region of Europe for me to try them out. I am thinking of buying online from US but not sure which ones to go for.

Do any of you have any experience with the following shoes? I will be buying 4E version and one size greater than my regular size.

1- New Balance Men's M587 Running Shoe
2- New Balance 875
3- New Balance 813

Or could you recommend some yourself? Or give any input

Last edited by Axemytoe; 02-27-2010 at 01:01 AM.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: I need shoe finding help please!

Do you have athletic shoes stores there that cater to athletes? We have them here and they can watch you walk, talk wiht you about how you will use the shoes (every day use, jogging, cross training, etc). Some even have machines you put your feet in and they make all these computations. I went to one after my feet heeled from my 2 surgeries because I wanted the best shoe to keep problems from happening again. They did all that and offered 3 suggestions to fit my situation. I picked a pair of Sauconys after trying all 3 on. Still wearing that style! The whole experience was quite helpful for me to understand pronation, etc and how I normally walk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

I'd be reluctant to buy online. I have NB 845, because there are deeper, which fits my orthodic, also got them in 4E.

What are you trying to accomplish? Is your foot swollen and bigger? Sore? Something more comfortable?

Old 02-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
(male)

Axemytoe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
The whole experience was quite helpful for me to understand pronation, etc and how I normally walk.
I know only one shop that kind of does it but they only have D width shoes. I went through my old shoes just now and all worn on the outside of the heels. The front of the foot seems to be worn evenly. What does that make me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerk View Post
I'd be reluctant to buy online. I have NB 845, because there are deeper, which fits my orthodic, also got them in 4E.

What are you trying to accomplish? Is your foot swollen and bigger? Sore? Something more comfortable?
All normal shoes feel too tight as my feet are wide. Front half of my foot is wide. Think diving flippers. Currently I have no swelling but sometimes I do get bit of swelling.

What I am trying to accomplish is the following-

a) Have shoes that I can actually wear. Currently I can only wear my super flexible Canvas Converse shoes. If I have Hallux Rigidus then such shoes are causing me more damage.

b) I have an orthopaedic insert which allegedly helps my alleged flat feet. Putting it inside a normal D sized shoes makes it super tight.

c) I am supposed to wear stiff soled trekking shoes. These shoes are again too tight and weigh a TON! I can't see myself wearing them daily let alone in the gym. So my aim is to use X1 Blade to make normal shoes stiff.

d) The shoe will be used for daily use. I am in a creative field so smart shoes are not my priority. In the gym I will use the shoes for step machine (so not any actual impact running) and moderate level weight training. I will also use the shoe for moderate outdoor bicycle riding.

No one locally stocks wide shoes so online is my only option.

Last edited by Axemytoe; 02-27-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Mine all wear down on the outside heel as well. Remember that in athletic shoes you should buy a full size larger than you normally wear. Did you try a larger size on? I normally wear a 6 but my Sauconys are 7's. World of difference! Also, if they fit fine other than the width, can they order a wider one for you or can you find a wider one online? I would hate to buy a pair online and then not have them be right for me.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
(male)

Axemytoe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Mine all wear down on the outside heel as well. Remember that in athletic shoes you should buy a full size larger than you normally wear. Did you try a larger size on?
Sure. I must have tried 50+ shoes in last few weeks. Larger size = more gap at the front but not huge difference on the sides. Specially once I take their foam insert out and place my one in.

Quote:
I normally wear a 6 but my Sauconys are 7's.
Yeah I normally wear 8.5 (without inserts) but going for 9 with wide version.

Quote:
World of difference! Also, if they fit fine other than the width, can they order a wider one for you or can you find a wider one online?
Well not many manufacturers make wide versions to start with One local shop is willing to order NB shoe but his prices make it cheaper for me to buy myself on-line and even exchange for cheaper. NB allows exchanging but postage costs I will lose.

New balance 587 seem like a good buy. I was reading review comments on Amazon and quiet a few are using inserts and have flat or wide feet. It uses SL2 last which is deep and wide. 2E width might be sufficient instead of going for 4E width.

Last edited by Axemytoe; 02-27-2010 at 02:01 PM.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:32 PM   #7
(male)

Toyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB UserToyman57 HB User

I just bought a pair of New Balance 855. They have a big toe box and help with stability. Good Luck

Old 03-02-2010, 01:24 AM   #8
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User

I love the Drew brand. They make models with extra depth to fit orthotics. I have hiking boots and sneakers from them. I was fit by a pedorthist at a specialty shoe store for problem feet. Have you checked online with Zappos? You have 1 year to return their shoes. I now buy most of my shoes online thru them because i can read all their reviews, buy a dozen different pair and return the ones that don't fit. My favorite is the Brooks "Beast" a running shoe made to keep the foot stiffly in neutral. It is the best shoe I've ever owned and it fits my large orthotic. I also have a pair of Saucony walkers. I've always previously worn New Balance but my PT who makes my orthotics told me to look into the "Beast" model for my pronating foot. Good Luck.

Last edited by sarahluke; 03-03-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Closed Thread