It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
(female)

klang2001 HB User
Nearly time for the op

Hello
I am going into the hospital on wednesday for my operation. I am having fusion on the IP joint of the big toe and weils to 2,3,4 and 5 to bring it all into shape with my very short big toe.

I had my pre op last week and was told I would have a general and an injection into the knee to numb the lower leg and foot.

I forgot to ask how long this would work for and when I may need other pain meds. He said I wouldnt feel anything once awake but i hope i get a few hours free of pain till i need other meds.

I am going to be on crutches and a shoe to allow me to heel walk but my doc was adamant that I will be very sore and walking will be a very special thing to do untill a few weeks post op.

Has anyone had this surgery and how have you managed in one of these shoes? I am worried I will go mad not being able to get out of the house.

kate

Old 02-27-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
(female)

jane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB Userjane806 HB User
Re: Nearly time for the op

Good luck with your surgery, Kate! I didn't have the same procedures you're having (I had bunionectomies, etal), but I can give a few pointers:

* take the pain meds as soon as you can after surgery because you will want to stay ahead of the pain. You'll probably get a prescription on your way out of the hospital. Once the pain kicks in, it's harder to control. Are you staying overnight or going home the same day? I stayed one night and wondered how anyone could go home after just a few hours. I needed nursing help for 24 hours.

* Is the shoe you're talking about a surgical shoe or boot? I've had both. I moved from a splint cast to a boot and finally to the surgical shoe. If you can heel walk with the shoe and crutches, it won't be so bad. I had to be totally non-weight bearing for a month - that's enough to drive one mad!

I'll be thinking about you on Wednesday! Just think - on Thursday it'll be over! Well, at least the surgery part. ; )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2010, 05:08 AM   #3
(female)

klang2001 HB User
Re: Nearly time for the op

Hello

I am staying in for a few day, op is on thursday morning, I have to go in the day early as I am diabetic too.

I am not sure what the shoe is, he just said it had a big heel to stop me putting weight on the forefoot.

I hope to be on my way home by sunday at the lastest!

I am busy getting the house organised now, my hubby and 12 yr old son are good, but I am dreading the mess they will get in in over the next few weeks!

kate

Closed Thread