It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
(female)

WorldWalker HB User
Cool 1 Year Post Op/ 6 Months Post Op PTTD

Well hello everyone,
I'm sure many of the people I spoke with are now long gone and hopefully doing well. I am now a year post op with my left foot (2/16) and over six months post op with my right (8/10). I want to report that things are going well. Scars are not too intense but I am expecting funny looks this spring with flip flops. My left foot feels fantastic. My only complaint is that it pops a little because it is overcompensating for my right leg which I still go to physical therapy for (in order to get better at walking in snow, sand, mud..basically any uneven surface). I know that once both feet are a year plus out I'll be sitting pretty. I am able to stand on my toes for a little bit and hop on my left foot and I still have a slower walk than others at my university but I do feel myself getting faster and faster as time progresses. I don't run but I have returned to using the eliptical (Spelling?) machine. I am working on the low impact for the bones but not my main worry. I did actually feel like I was running normally for a brief moment when I hurried to a class but again it was very uncoordinated and I did forget how to stop!
I still feel swimming and other things from PT are good for me and I hope by the end of the summer to feel like myself without the pain.
My right foot is still a little stiff and the heel is god awful ugly, but I hope to use a stone to take care of that. x-rays look good and I'm glad to put this behind me and get back to my life. I am very glad of this: people still give me the understanding I need so I don't push myself over my limits and recognize I'm not completely tortise-like.

I hope this recovery story holds some hope for all of you. Please check other threads of mine for background or feel free to ask my any questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #2
(female)

midwestmary HB User
Re: 1 Year Post Op/ 6 Months Post Op PTTD

Hello to you World Walker! Your post is very encouraging - thanks for taking the time to share your journey. You are a year ahead of me - I had my left foot done on Jan 19 so I'm coming up on my six week mark. I'm hoping to get a good xray this week and slowly begin weight bearing again.

It was helpful to know what I may expect in the months ahead and I wish you continued healing

Mary

Old 02-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

All good wishes to you, Worldwalker, and thanks for sharing with all your posts. I have learned a lot from you. I'm way behind you, and behind Mary by three weeks. Worldwalker, you will get stronger and stronger and soon you won't even think about your feet because you'll just be living an active life!

Mary, I sent positive vibes to you on 1/19, and happy to know you are doing well thus far. Wishing you an excellent x-ray and smooth sailing to FWB.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User

Hi Mandy50,
We had the same surgery on the same day I think (2/4/10). How are you healing?
Sarahluke

Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahluke View Post
Hi Mandy50,
We had the same surgery on the same day I think (2/4/10). How are you healing?
Sarahluke
Hi Sarah,
Doing okay, but the evenings are difficult because I swell up and my cast becomes soooo tight. I take a half or a quarter of Ultram in the evening. I had an Evans osteotomy and won't be able to begin any weight-bearing until the bone graft is fully healed. It could take up to 10 weeks or longer. I pray every day. I see the doctor on Monday for an update, new cast, and x-rays again. From what I understand, the calcaneal osteotomy allows PWB at 6 weeks. I really try to stay positive and like many of us here, depression does rear its ugly head and I fight it.

How are you doing? I wish you excellent healing! and everyone else who is on this board in the same boat. Happy healing!

Old 03-06-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
(female)

Hi Mandy,
Oh I would hate being in a cast. I was put into an air boot at 6 days post-op and I can take it off to ice and bathe and just to get a break from the boot! I am constantly fiddling with the air bladder because it does get tighter as the day goes on. Maybe you could talk to you doctor on Monday and ask him about an air boot? I had the evans, the gastroc lengthening, and a navicular removal. I had xrays taken a few days ago and it showed the the bone graft was healing! Yea! Today is the first day I haven't taken any tramadol (yet)...Have you been able to get of the house much? That really lifts my spirits. Even a trip to the grocery store to ride on those motorized scooters is fun.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #7
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

Hi Sarah,
You make me feel less alone! Thank you! I had everything you had done except for the navicular bone removal. My doctor also made an incision at the PTT and cleaned out leftover sutures from a previous debridement years ago and some bone spurs. The good news was that he said my PTT looked pretty normal (relief). I pray my x-rays will show healing too. I'll see what he says about the cast.

Today I rode in the car with my husband and put the window down so I could feel the sunshine. It was wonderful to be out. I just took a quarter of a tramadol pill because my cast is getting so tight. I wish you continued healing everyday!

Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
(female)

Hi Mandy,
It is really nice to read on here that people are in the exact same situation. My back was in a huge spasm all day yesterday from crutching around and pushing a knee walker on carpet. Luckily my hubby is a chiropractor so I was fixed up when he got home. Post how your next appt goes and what the dr. says about a cast. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

Hi Sarah,
Hope you are doing well. I saw my doctor and he took x-rays and everything looks on track. He was pleased. His standard protocol is the cast, so, a new cast. I see him in three weeks. Every doctor seems to have their own procedures. I'm going with the flow to reduce stress hormones. You are very close to weight bearing! Sending you (and all our other foot pals here) positive, healing vibes!

Oh, are you totally off meds? Last night I took a quarter of a tramadol. You are lucky you have a very helpful hubby who can fix your back. My left buttock and left knee really start to hurt after a day of crutching, and scooting. My right foot is the post-op foot.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #10
(female)

Hi Mandy,
Today was another day of huge back spasms so I counting the minutes before my husband got home to take care of me. The chiro adjustment worked wonders. I think the crutches and the knee scooter and the sleep positions are taking there tole on me. You had your right foot operated on? So you haven't been able to drive at all? That makes it extra hard I would think. I have been able to drive since about 3 weeks post-op but I only go short distances with an ice pack under my knee because of the pain oh having my foot down and also the vibration of the car bothers me a little. I have the Tramadol 50 but am trying not to take it. I've been having bouts of mild nausea so I was staying clear of any meds. I did take one today though.
How have you been sleeping? I have a hard time getting comfortable and if I need to change positions in the middle of the night it is an ordeal to raise up, fix the covers, get my foot comfortable, move the pillow between my ankles or whatever. If you've found a comfortable position please share!

I'm very glad that your appt went well and that everything is on track. Yes, I am 1.5 weeks from PWB if I want although I don't see my doctor for another 3 weeks and he wants to get me to take a step on that appointment. It's on my bday too so I hope it's good! It scares me.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #11
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

hi Sarah,

I hope you'll have the best birthday EVER!!!! What a gift of a first step with all the promise of more to come and onward and forward from there.

When I take a half of a tramadol I have to take the anti-nausea suppository. At a fourth, I don't need to. Like you, my body is so sensitive. In terms of sleep, I can only sleep on my back because of my foot. I elevate both legs which relieves my lower back and keeps me comfortable. I use a large firm pillow for both legs. At night if I have to use the facilities, I have a small office chair with rollers which I plop onto and roll over to the bathroom. Sorry if this is TMI.

Hope by the time you read this, you are already more comfortable from the adjustment. Wishing you happy slumber this evening.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #12
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

Hi Sarah,
I hope you have the best birthday ever, with the gift of the first step and the promise of many more, onward, and forward to total recovery!

I have to sleep on my back with both legs elevated on one large, firm pillow. It's the most comfortable I can get myself, given our reality. When I take a half of a tramadol I have to take anti-nausea medication. If I take a quarter, I'm okay.

I hope by the time you read this, your back is already better from your hubby's adjustments. Wishing you happy slumber this evening!

Old 03-10-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
(female)

Hi Mandy,
You can never give TMI on this site. Everything said answers someone's question somewhere. I'm not even sure I could cut a tramadol into quarters as they are so tiny! I am so thankful that I have found a pain killer that I can take. I can't do acetaminophen, motrin, aleve, tylenol, nor any nsaid. But when my doc tried tramadol I was elated! My back is SO much better now and tomorrow I have a massage scheduled (yea!) I started giving my surgery foot small massages mainly stroking the bottom of my foot from toes to heel and it feels really good. How your incisions looking? I want to take my steristrips off so bad but it is too early and it would cause a bigger scar. Are yours scabbed over or are you past that? My calf incision is almost completely healed.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:11 PM   #14
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

Hi Sarah,
I'm so jealous. My incisions are under a cast so the only time I can quickly clean and look is while I'm waiting for the new cast. They are not looking as good as yours. Right now, my foot is so tight under the cast. It happens every evening.

I can't take any NSAIDS either. I can take Tylenol, however. I also take Lyrica. I have a massage therapy appointment tomorrow as well! He's really effective in sports related stuff. I can't drive so I can't get to the chiropractor. It's simply amazing that you can drive and get out. Like I said, I'm jealous but truly happy for you.

Sorry I sent two messages as something happened initially, like the first one didn't happen, so I quickly redid the post and both ended up on the thread. Wishing us happy days with longer periods of comfort and steadfast healing!

Old 03-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

walleye77 HB User

Worldwalker good for you that things are moving in the right direction. School must be going well also. Our god awful winter is almost over so the chances of slipping and falling get less every day. Even ground is just around the corner.
Walleye

Closed Thread