It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User
Post Op Blues

I'm so bored. I had my flat foot surgery 3 weeks ago and I'm at the point now where I'm not drugged up so I am awake all day but I still need to keep my foot elevated almost all the time so I cannot sit at the computer or do things around the house. I pretty much sit all day either in my recliner or in bed. Somebody who has been here give me a pep talk please! This is tough. It is also a strain on my 19 year marriage. My husband is a very good man and hard worker but I am learning that he not a nurturer. I need these boards to read that others have been here. Thanks everyone.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User
Re: Post Op Blues

Time passes. I got a laptop, and sat in the recliner all day too. When you feel better you will be pushing to do more for yourself, or atlest that is the goal.

I had 12 broken ribs, punctured lungs, broken leg on one side and shattered foot on the other. I had some help come by for a couple hours during the week. After that I was on my own. Be glad your husband is there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
(female)

Mandy50 HB User

Hello Sarah,

Hang in there! I am also at 3 weeks post-op, and I sit at the computer with both legs up at the desk so that my back doesn't hurt with just the one foot up. I look ridiculous but who cares. I also sit with elevation of both legs and I do isometrics (squeeze the gluts, the quads, in rotation). It gives me something to do that is good for me and I also just began having a friend take me to the PT place to work my upper body, using the knee roller. I do the arm bike, the pull downs, and core work on my back.

My husband is also not a natural nurturer, but he is a wonderful husband. I get my nurturing from my best friend and other friends who have been generous to bring dinners. I am very lucky because my husband's mom is very nurturing and has delivered dinners and snacks.

You are not alone in your journey. We will get through this. Look ahead with positivity. I have learned that from reading all the posts here long before my surgery. Good luck, best wishes to you everyday!!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #4
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi Sarah,
I have so been there. I can't believe how depressed I feel sometimes. Do you have a laptop? How about a subsciption to Netflix. Did you know you can watch a lot of movies from Netflix instantly right on your computer? I asked friends to bring me their books and movies since I couldn't get out much and search myself. I'm taking an online computer class. I had gained 20 lbs. over the 10 months preceding the surgery, because my foot hurt too much to exercise, so I am being extra careful now that I don't gain anymore. I have really cut down on what I used to eat. I have fruit cups and pudding cups that I eat when I want something sweet. On the weekend I add spray whipped cream to my pudding cup! I wish you well and know you can make it through. Keep reading this site as the success stories and tips will give both you and me ispiration to just do it!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
(male)

cat farmer HB User

Sarah,

Get a computer that you can use with your foot up. It doesn't have to be top of the line to surf the net.

Thank the Lord I found this site months in advance and was somewhat prepare for what I've been thru (PTTD surgery) You will need/want to be keeping your foot elevated for several more weeks. The swelling is the last thing to go away.

I got a monitor arm and a used night stand that I made into a computer desk/table next to my chair that I spent most of my time in. So glad I got a good setup that worked for me. Although I returned to work 3 weeks ago (I'm 11 weeks post op) I still spend most of my time when I'm at home in my "man cave".

Although you need to keep your foot elevated, start exercising the other parts of your body. Get some weights for your good leg and arms. You need to maintain your strength. Also remember you can lift your repaired foot/leg (it doesn't have to remain stationary) Do leg lifts out to the side to strengthen your hips.

Lastly, be sure your family & friends understand that depression is often a side effect of this surgery/recovery. Good luck and have faith that things will get better.

CF

Old 03-01-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
(female)

Thank you SOO much to everyone who responded to my "blues". Every little bit helps to cheer me up. I do have Netflix and i forgot about the watch now option. My Mom brought me a very large cross stitch so that should occupy me for a few months. Also, thanks for the note about the swelling. I still have a lot and I was wondering what was "normal" at 3 weeks. I see my doctor in 2 days. I feel a lot of pain in the mornings at the site of the screws and plate. My foods burning! I will write more after eating.... Thanks!

Old 03-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Hi Sarah, my cabin fever peaked around the two week mark after I had my big toe joint fused. I blasted my husband for leaving me alone for a long period of time, and he did not get it. Fortunately, I was able to go back to work after two weeks, so I could get some contact with the outside world. It took several weeks before I could leave my foot down. I had a little stool that I carried everywhere that I could put my foot up. It was a challenge.

I have just passed the four month mark, and my foot is doing really well. It feels so much better than pre-surgery and I have learned it is healing. I am now walking for exercise, and that is helping with the swelling. It does still swell though, and I understand that will happen for awhile yet. I was in a meeting this weekend, and spent all of Saturday sitting in church pews. I ended up sitting in a spot where I could put my foot up because my foot was feeling quite swollen. I felt almost instant relief.

It seems that patience is important in this process and that this is a lesson in patience.......something I do not always like.

Good luck with your healing!

Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
(female)

kindercarol HB User

Hi All,
I am 6 weeks post-op today (flat foot surgery), and got out of my hard cast a few days ago. I'm now in a boot that I can take off to wiggle my toes a bit and take a shower. Of course, I still have to sit while taking a shower, but I can get my whole leg and foot wet. Yeah! The swelling continues, and I still have to keep my foot up most of the time. I can barely put any weight on the booted foot. However, it's definitely an improvement from last week when I was still 100% non-weight bearing, and I'm thrilled to be at a new stage of recovery. In 4 more weeks I will start physical therapy. The more people I have around the better I feel, but most days are solo....everyone's at work. Keep inviting people to come by if possible, and remember you'll be able to return the favor in a few more months. Have you tried taking a wet wash cloth and cleaning between your cast toes? Sounds silly, but it helped me feel better. I also smoothed on a bit of body lotion to make them look a little less dry. Be careful to keep your cast dry. Take care and keep up the good fight!

Old 03-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #9
(female)

Hi Kindercarol, I was put into my removeable ski boot at 6 days post op. I am lucky I guess because it allows me to remove my boot a lot to ice and dorsiflex a little. I am finding that I'm an ice addict! It feels so good. I've been able to shower since day 6 and at 3 weeks I am just now getting to the point where it doesn't scare me to do so. The combo of the medication and the hot water, the fear of the "naked foot", and the small space in my little square shower would make me dizzy so I had to really take my time. Now I use cooler water and it feels good.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:33 AM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
Hi Sarah, my cabin fever peaked around the two week mark after I had my big toe joint fused. I blasted my husband for leaving me alone for a long period of time, and he did not get it. Fortunately, I was able to go back to work after two weeks, so I could get some contact with the outside world. It took several weeks before I could leave my foot down. I had a little stool that I carried everywhere that I could put my foot up. It was a challenge.

I have just passed the four month mark, and my foot is doing really well. It feels so much better than pre-surgery and I have learned it is healing. I am now walking for exercise, and that is helping with the swelling. It does still swell though, and I understand that will happen for awhile yet. I was in a meeting this weekend, and spent all of Saturday sitting in church pews. I ended up sitting in a spot where I could put my foot up because my foot was feeling quite swollen. I felt almost instant relief.

It seems that patience is important in this process and that this is a lesson in patience.......something I do not always like.

Good luck with your healing!
Hello Northwind, I blasted my husband at the 2 week mark too for leaving me home so much too. Glad to know I wasn't the only one. He'd get home from work and almost immediately go chaffeuring the kids around to their various activities. In my mind they could have gotten rides from teammates and I begged my husband jsut to take 2 weeks "off"as chaffeur and arrange rides for them. He arranged rides for two days which was better than nothing. Now at 3.5 weeks I feel ok about being left home alone all day because I can move around a bit and at least get food. At 2 weeks I wasn't able to do that yet and i felt really trapped and hungry. How is your healing going?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Northwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB UserNorthwind HB User

Hi sarahluke, my healing is going very well. My foot feels great. It is still a bit swollen, but I can wear all my shoes, except one pair.....my Dansko clogs. I live in hope that I will wear them again. I am going out for walks now, and it is awesome to walk without causing more pain. I can't remember the last time that happened. It has been over a year anyway.I would not be ready for tap dance lessons or jogging yet, so it is a good thing I am not interested in those things.

Closed Thread