It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #16
(female)

Larsenusa HB User
Re: Tactics for coping while non-weight-bearing after foot surgery

Even more great ideas. Having a calcaneal osteotomy & tendon transfer on November 8th. We are taking tomorrow to have a good clear out in the house and start to move some of the furniture out of the way. We have 4 year old twin boys and two barking dogs. I want everyhing out of the way! I think that it will be total chaos trying to stay nwb. I really like the idea about the office chair on wheels. It will be great to have something upstairs to scoot on if need be. My doctor has not mentioned the knee scooter but am definitely going to bring it up.

We are so fortunate that my mother will come up for the first two weeks after the surgery and my in-laws will be around for 3 weeks in December.

Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to write all of this down! I have been a "lurker" for months and feel so much better knowing that there are others out there who have made it through.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #17
(female)

Firelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB User

Yes the office chair is an incredible idea. I wish I had heard of it sooner, I would have actually been able to eat or get a cup of coffee when everyone else was gone through the day lol. I had to get it before they left or wait till t hey got home. It sucked!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2010, 07:21 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

stepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB Userstepbystep89 HB User

A little word of caution on the roll about. I would suggest getting one that looks like a scooter where the bench is actually perpendicular to your hips because it is more convenient and easier to steer. The "knee walker" is actually more like a good old fashioned walker with a bench for your knee. I got this one first by mistake and it was almost impossible to steer and very inconvenient.

Good luck and keep us "posted."

Old 10-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #19
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

Instead of an office chair, you could get a wheel chair. If you want to go any long distances outside the house, you are probably going to need one. Though having an office chair on a floor of the house you don't use as much, is probably not a bad idea.

Most of all, you just got to wait it out.

Old 10-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I would be totally lost without the wheelchair. I am able to cook, clean, do laundry without much difficulty. I would highly recommend getting one.

The following user gives a hug of support to Missyluke:
OzarkSquirrel (07-21-2011)
Old 10-25-2010, 05:10 AM   #21
(female)

sarahluke HB Usersarahluke HB User

To save money I tried using an office chair for wheeling around the house and it didn't work at all. My carpet was a little too thick. I worked great for my sister-in-law though and she has low-pile berber carpet. I hated pushing myself backwards. I couldn't do the wheelchair either because I have dogs, cats, and kids -- and the pathways were never clear enough. I also tried using the seated walkers which are very affordable to own but I was too short (5'4") to put my knee up on the seat. I heard it works great for tall people. In the end I opted to rent a steerable knee scooter with a basket for 6 weeks. It was expensive where I live but in my opinion a must. It was very maneuverable and thin enough to get everywhere. I only used it around my house because it was heavy and too hard to get into my car by myself.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #22
(female)

12girlygirl HB User12girlygirl HB User

Very helpful, thanks guys.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #23
(female)

Firelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB User

Just wanted to bump this up for newcomers. Some great advice on here.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #24
(female)

Thanks Firelady for bumping it up.
Good Morning Everyone. How you had a nice Halloween Weekend. I am 7 1/2 weeks post op and will be starting full weight bearing by this Friday . My surgery foot is red compared to my good foot, except for first thing in the morning. Is that the same for any of you? Also, How soon did most of you start PT? I was going to start next week which will be at 9 weeks, do you think its to soon?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #25
(female)

[QUOTE=12girlygirl;4614852]Thanks Firelady for bumping it up.
Good Morning Everyone. How you had a nice Halloween Weekend. I am 7 1/2 weeks post op and will be starting full weight bearing by this Friday . My surgery foot is red compared to my good foot, except for first thing in the morning. Is that the same for any of you? Also, How soon did most of you start PT? I was going to start next week which will be at 9 weeks, do you think its to soon?[/QUOTE]
Oops, I meant to say I will be starting partial weight bearing this Friday.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

12girlygirl: My doctor had me start rom at 6 weeks post op and at 8 weeks post op have begun to really have pt and pushing it. I think for each doctor and depending of procedures done, starting of pt varies. I had calcaneal osteotomy (medial shift), fdl tendon transfer, achilles tendon lengthening and repair of fractured bone.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #27
(female)

Thanks MissyLuke. I appreciate that. Every time I see your name pop up, I wish I would have made my log name MissyLang. I tried a couple of Missys and it wouldn't let me. So I did girly then that went to girly girl. Which, I'm really not that much. I am more athletic than a girly girl. haha, oh well.
I had PTT transfer, calcaneal osteotomy, and gast. lengthening. So, very similar to yours other than no bones fractured that needed repaired.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #28
(female)

Georgia chicken HB User

Thanks, I am anticipating surgery for AAFD, but am very apprehensive and have been postponing it. I do have one question - has anyone tried the nutritional supplements that are marketed for bone healing? The contain minerals that the body uses to build bone. I wonder if it would help speed the healing following fusion and graft.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #29
(female)

Hi Georgia Chicken;
I have been talking Calcium, Magnesium, Vit D., Omega 3, Glucosamine, and Bromalien (pineapple extract go for inflamation), plus a multi vit every day. Is there something else that you have found for bone growth or healing? I am a very healthy eater and always try to do things as wholeistically (sp. oops) as possible.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #30
(female)

Georgia chicken HB User

Hi, I had found something a couple years ago when a friend was in an accident and had a lot of broken bones. But I can't remember exactly what it was. I remember that it contained copper and magnesium compounds in addition to vitamin D and calcium. He doctor remarked that he healed faster than he had expected him to and it might have been due to the supplement. But who knows. I am 65 and older folks like me might not heal as fast as younger ones so I'm trying to think of everything I can to optimize recovery. I dread the thought of being laid up. I get depressed if I can't get out and go.

Closed Thread