It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #16
(female)

Firelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB UserFirelady1 HB User
Re: Tactics for coping while non-weight-bearing after foot surgery

One thing to warn you newbies about is the depression that sets in after a few weeks. I am probably one of the bubbliest people you would ever meet and even I found after 3 weeks or so I started to feel despondant. Do what you can to cheer yourself up and remember, it's only temporary!! When my doc gave me the ok to starting bearing weight, I swear I heard angels singing lol. Have friends come visit, get out of bed as much as possible and try to keep as much normalcy as you can. You WILL get passed it and things will get better, even if it doesn't feel like it. Keep you chin up.....we've all been there and we're here for you

The following user gives a hug of support to Firelady1:
parrisani (11-29-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to Firelady1 For This Useful Post:
cjeff (10-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #17
(female)

LupoMom HB UserLupoMom HB User

Hi there,
If you haven't already bought your knee scooter, you may want to check out the Voyager scooter by Forward Mobility. You can sit on it versus kneel. Good luck with your recovery!
LupoMom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #18
(male)

London Chap HB UserLondon Chap HB UserLondon Chap HB User

The Red Cross may be worth trying. They lend equipment out for free although they hope for a donation.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #19
(female)

rutshi HB User

I have stairs at home and no bathroom downstairs. The stairs problem kept me occupied and worried for weeks before the operation.

I somewhat improved the stair method . I use (still) a small pillow (like a livingroom pillow). I also use 2 regular walkers, one for each floor.
Going up: Standing in front of the stairs I lean a bit forward and put the pillow on the third step. I then put my "bad" knee (i.e. the one of the bad foot) on the pillow, and pull myself up putting the "good" foot on the stair below the pillow. This foot is my lever! I then repeat the process: Taking the pillow, putting it on the third step. Knee, "good" foot, etc. Please note: I am rather tall; therefore the 2 stairs interval is right for me. Shorter people will do it with 1 stair intervals. When I get to the end of the stairs I use the rails and/or the wall to raise myself and hold the walker which awaits me there, to go wherever I need. You can also use a chair but u still have to push yourself up. This is the trickier part.

Going down: The lady who first suggested this method advised to go down on your butt. I tried this, but found it abused my upper arms and shoulders, as I also have a "frozen shoulder" situation. Therefore, a revised technique… which is basically the same as going up. You just have to figure a way to get down to the floor level. Facing upwards, you put a/the pillow on the first or second stair, where you rest your bad knee. Then you send your good foot down to wherever it reaches on the stairs, take the pillow and repeat the process downstairs till you meet your walker.
I use a square 15 inches pillow.
Thru all this process you must hold the rails.

I suggest practicing this procedure. It saved me.
I have more tips, but this will have to wait for tomorrow.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2014 at 09:55 PM.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rutshi For This Useful Post:
denise7345 (11-26-2012), lschulk (03-24-2011), prico54 (09-01-2012)
Old 01-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #20
(female)

cloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB Usercloud1959 HB User

I borrowed my knee scooter from the physio dept. of the NHS hospital where I had my surgery. It cost me nothing.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-31-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #21
(female)

rutshi HB User

Hi,
Here are some more tips:
The above mentioned tactics of using the "bad" foot's knee also served me in other ways. In the bathroom I put a stool, toped with a pillow (which was tightened in place by 2 simple belts criss-crossed). It was placed near the sink and I could spend the time I needed for my toilette routine. Almost as good as standing on both feet.
When going to the bathroom, I put that knee on the toilet seat while pulling my cloths up and down.
In order to carry food (including hot meals, bowls, drinks etc.) from the kitchen to the armchair where I spent most of the time I used the following method: I go to the kitchen with my walker, all the while pushing forward an office chair (the kind with wheels). I prepare my food/coffee etc., place it on a tray (preferably one with a high ridge), and place it on the seat of the chair. Then while humping/going back, I again push the chair - this time very carefully. Until I get close to my seat. Voila!!!
I hope the above info will be useful.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #22
Veteran
(female)

michlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB Usermichlei HB User

If it comes to having to have surgery when I see the ortho this week, I am seriously considering borrowing an AV cart from the school I work at, or something similar (the kind of wheeled cart they push projectors around on) so I can move things from room to room while on crutches. Hubby is retired and did lots, but there are times when you want to do it yourself or no one is there to help.

Old 08-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #23
Administrator
(male)

Administrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB UserAdministrator HB User
Post Foot & Ankle Resource

If you have an ankle-foot resource you want to be considered, please read the posting Policy and if it is an allowed information resource, follow the instructions to possibly get approval by Administrator.

http://www.foothealthfacts.org/footankleinfo/pttd.htm

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Administrator
bshorter30 (08-26-2013), sinclair34 (09-21-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Administrator For This Useful Post:
vikkio (09-02-2013)
Closed Thread